Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New CFV 39 MPix back also for 20x cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,

"the modification disables the electronic functions
(isO/contrast) with E-type magazines, after which isO is
simply selected on the camera body instead. "

It clearly states ISO function from the E/TCC magazines is disabled.
ISO is selected on the camera body instead.
This goes for filmbacks. The ISO function of E/TCC backs is lost after the modification of the body.
To shoot film E/TCC backs need to be treated like any A12/24 back for which the ISO needs to be set by the body.

Of course any ISO setting for the CFV needs to be done on the CFV itself.

Paul

ISO selected on camera BODY(?) Mis-print??

@Steve

Setting the ISO on the camera body is for the meter in the body. On an un-modified body, the ISO setting on an E back would over-ride the body setting; very nice as when you changed to a different speed of film (using another E back, properly set), you didn't have to remember to change the setting for the meter on the body as well. Using a CFV on a modified body, you have to remember to set the ISO for the meter on the camera to match the ISO of the 'film'/CFV, whenever you change the ISO on the CFV.

Just to clarify, it is possible for a camera body to query a CFE (and presumably an FE) lens for certain (limited) information. H-cameras do this. As Jurgen points out, not every camera body can query the 'E' lenses--obviously 500 C/M cameras, for example, can't.

We know some of the information a lens must be providing is current aperture information, and at least some form of identification (possibly maximum aperture and/or focal length, for example). We know this because certain features found on some late-model bodies wouldn't be possible otherwise.

What is not clear (at least to me):

1) What information an FE lens can communicate?
2) What information the 203FE in particular gathers?
3) Whether the digital modification that Hasselblad performs on 200-series bodies for CFV compatibility simply provides sync pulse, or a richer serial communication bus. (If the former, then obviously no lens information gathered by the camera can make it to the back.)

The whole purpose for my question is that I was just wondering how far the manual input of information for DAC could be reduced...

Thanks, everyone,
-Brad

Just to clarify, it is possible for a camera body to query a CFE (and presumably an FE) lens for certain (limited) information. H-cameras do this. As Jurgen points out, not every camera body can query the 'E' lenses--obviously 500 C/M cameras, for example, can't.

We know some of the information a lens must be providing is current aperture information, and at least some form of identification (possibly maximum aperture and/or focal length, for example). We know this because certain features found on some late-model bodies wouldn't be possible otherwise.

What is not clear (at least to me):

1) What information an FE lens can communicate?
2) What information the 203FE in particular gathers?
3) Whether the digital modification that Hasselblad performs on 200-series bodies for CFV compatibility simply provides sync pulse, or a richer serial communication bus. (If the former, then obviously no lens information gathered by the camera can make it to the back.)

The whole purpose for my question is that I was just wondering how far the manual input of information for DAC could be reduced...

Thanks, everyone,
-Brad

I don't think what you are searching for is possible. The 203FE is a discontinued camera and was never a digital camera with the ability to update firmware like the H cameras.

Here are my findings :

Setup is HASSELBLAD 203FE (modified) + CZ FE PLANAR 2,8/150 + CFV .
ISO set in 203FE is 100 . ISO set in CFV is 200 .
Camera set to A . Chosen aperture is f 5,6 .

Images shot with this setting are correctly exposed with a resulting exposure time of 1/125 sec.

Data found with PHOCUS are :
Date/Time + HASSELBLAD 200 mod + ADOBE RGB + 4080x4080 sensor size
Focal length ------ + Time 1/4 sec .

Exif data from 3FR show a slightly different image size of 4064x4064 .

Conclusion : with a modified 20X body and an FE lens we will not see the values of the focal length , aperture , adjusted focus , and used exposure time in PHOCUS .
We will definately have the same results for CFE lenses .

Read this on the "spec" sheet......

"the cFV-39 will also enable the use of F/FE lenses on
a 200 system camera, provided that the camera is slightly
modified. the modification disables the electronic functions
(isO/contrast) with E-type magazines, after which isO is
simply selected on the camera body instead. "

ISO selected on camera BODY(?) Mis-print?? The CFV "housing" does have a series of electrical interconnects, however.

Steve

Hi Steve,

This is in fact correct.

With the modification to a 200 series camera an additional circuit board is installed on the main circuit board and will allow the trigger signal to be communicated through the databus contacts located on the rear of the 200 body. The modification also allows the use of FE lenses, a very nice bonus.

Regarding the ISO selected on the camera body. The control panel on left side of the 200 body has a setting for Pr (program). Once you move the dial to Pr you can then cycle through the modes using the arrow buttons, ISO is Pr1, this is where you select the desired ISO. Pr1 is the same for the 203FE and 205FCC.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

Donations in support of this Site

I have been so excited about the new CFV-39, and enjoyed everyones contributions here so much, that I felt I had to donate to support this site, especially after looking at the bar which had (0%) contributions. Last Sunday evening, European time, 5 July, I contributed 50 Euros to this site waiting for the pleasure of seeing it appear in the "donations bar". Still not showing. I paid with PayPal and the amount was immediately charged to my credit card.

I am beginning to feel that there is some irregularity or mismanagement. I hope I am wrong.

Regards
Saad

..what is digital lens correction?[/QUOTE]

Terry,

Digital lens correction means that when an image is captured with any of the following lenses

CF/CFE 40 FLE, CFE 40 IF, CFi 50 FLE, CFi/CFE 80, CFi/CFE120, CFi 150, CFE/CFE 180, CFi 250, CFE 250 Sa and CFE 350 Sa

We can correction for:
Chromatic aberration
Lens distortion
Vignetting

This can be done in Hasselblad Phocus 1.2.x
You will need to input the focal lenght, aperture and distance to subject in order for corrections to be visible in Phocus.

Note: The V lenses are mechanical and there is no way for lens data to be transfered at point of capture as there is in the H system.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA[/QUOTE]

Paul,
You are talking about the newer C.Z. lenses, but what about the older T* lenses?

Philippe

will allow the trigger signal to be communicated through the databus contacts located on the rear of the 200 body
Very interesting...so the "trigger" to the CFV39 back is electronic instead of mechanical as in the CFV II? Are any other data transmitted to the back from the modified board? Or am I totally confused??? :>)

You are talking about the newer C.Z. lenses, but what about the older T* lenses?
Philippe

Yes, the lenses that I have indicated would be considered newer or the most recent generation.

It is possible in time that additional lenses will be added such as the FE or even the vintage C lenses which is the reason I had asked for input from the group for specific focal lenght and generation. An example; 50mm f4.0 C

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

will allow the trigger signal to be communicated through the databus contacts located on the rear of the 200 body
Very interesting...so the "trigger" to the CFV39 back is electronic instead of mechanical as in the CFV II? Are any other data transmitted to the back from the modified board? Or am I totally confused??? :>)

The CFV39 and CFVII behave identically in this respect. This is specific to 200 series cameras which have been modified and the CFV/CFVII/CFV39 back menu has been set to "200"

If a mechanical 500 series is being used and the CFV menu has been set for "500" then the CFV initates capture via the release arm extending out from the rear of the body. There are camera menu options for EL, SWC, CW winder (503CW with winder) and flashsynch.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

I am beginning to feel that there is some irregularity or mismanagement. I hope I am wrong.

Regards
Saad

Do not worry.
Dirk is counting all his nickles and dimes every day.
He starts the day with a Dagobert Duck suit and swimms two laps in his money before he goes to his office.

It will take a little time for the donation bar to be updated.
Wait and see!

Paul

For new backs, yes it is.

I, for one, applaud Hasselblad for being much more reasonable in their pricing. I think 40-megapixel backs become reasonalby competitive with $8000 20-odd megapixel small format DSLR's at 10-12K (remeber the little guys generally sell for 1-2K under MSRP once they've been on the market a while). So this pricing for the CFV39 seems like a good start to me.

I have no insight into margins and the like, but assuming that these units are still profitable for the company, I think this is good for attracting new photographers to medium format.

The CFV39 and CFVII behave identically in this respect. This is specific to 200 series cameras which have been modified and the CFV/CFVII/CFV39 back menu has been set to "200"

If a mechanical 500 series is being used and the CFV menu has been set for "500" then the CFV initates capture via the release arm extending out from the rear of the body. There are camera menu options for EL, SWC, CW winder (503CW with winder) and flashsynch.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

Is the time to initiate capture too long for use with a 2000/2003 camera and F/FE lense? If this is "only" a software issue it could not be particularly difficult to program a shorter initiation time for the digital back so that 2000 cameras could be used. maybe they cannot respond fast enough to the shorter initiation time of the 2000 cameras?

Ronald

How will I ever remember which lens, aperture and distance to the subject were used when I made the picture. Can this information not be stored in the CFV-39 at the time the picture is taken ??

Yes, Zeiss lenses are excellent performers, but wouldn't be nice to have the option to correct for optical distortion or vignetting if desired.

Is correction required, no.
The same corrections are available in either configuration, V system body with Zeiss lenses or H system, CF adapter and Zeiss lens. Again the choice is up to the photographer.

I think the list is pretty comprehensive:
CF/CFE 40 FLE, CFE 40 IF, CFi 50 FLE, CFi/CFE 80, CFi/CFE120, CFi 150, CFE/CFE 180, CFi 250, CFE 250 Sa and CFE 350 Sa

What lenses need to added?

You must manually enter the following information into Phocus:

Focal Lenght
Aperture
Distance to subject

Paul C

How will I ever remember which lens, aperture and distance to the subject were used when I made the picture. Can this information not be stored in the CFV-39 at the time the picture is taken ??

No this information can not be stored in the metadata. These a mechanical systems with data transmission between and the back.

The H system is electronic with databus contacts on each component and all lens data is transfered and stored in the metadata of the 3FR/3F file.

In the V lens corrections, you can try different distance settings and apertures to achieve the most pleasing results.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

Is the time to initiate capture too long for use with a 2000/2003 camera and F/FE lense? If this is "only" a software issue it could not be particularly difficult to program a shorter initiation time for the digital back so that 2000 cameras could be used. maybe they cannot respond fast enough to the shorter initiation time of the 2000 cameras?

Ronald

Ronald

You have two options with the 2000 series.

1. Use C type lenses, disengage focal plane shutter.
2. Use a Kapture Group one shot cable if you wish to use F/FE lenses.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

page 2 of attachment for one shot cable.

Attachments

• EXIF
    Modified 200 Series CFV.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 92
  • EXIF
    Modified 200 Series CFV.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 92
CFV 39 is new or old technology

I am at the verge of ordering the new CFV-39. If it is tried and proven technology, and a copy of the old CF-39, then I will be more comfortable that there will be no bugs, otherwise I will be inclined to wait a bit.

My second enquiry would be about whether they have fixed the "date & time" problem with the new CFV-39.

I have the Nikon D3x and used my Zeiss lenses on it. As good as the D3x is, it still lacks that pristine clarity of the CFV-16.

regards
Saad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back