Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New CFV 39 MPix back also for 20x cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is indeed interesting - a 1.1 crop factor would mean a 42mm 'Biogon' on my SWC - I could probably live with that.

However, the second factor renders this back completely out of reach - the price (For sure, it ain't gonna be cheap)

I'm an amateur (Remember those...) and I fully realise Hasselblad sell to pro's, so sadly I think I'll just have to wait for the CFV MK.lV so I can pick up the current offering second hand.

Is it 2010 yet?

Ian

Price

This new back is bound to have a price effect on the CVF and the CVFII digital backs.
Keep in mind this is and will be a low volume market.
It took Hasselblad several years to sell 500 CWD cameras despite the option of the 40 mm IF lens that came with the CWD.

This new back is bound to have a price effect on the CVF and the CVFII digital backs.

Is that up or down, do you think ?

Extending the life of the V system for photographers who want to make BIG images is a good thing and will attract/retain more users to the CFV/II. No ?

There's little doubt that the price of used CFV backs are dropping, but maybe that was because it was at the end of the line. That's now changed and with a 1.1 crop factor and 39 mpix this whole system might become more attractive to existing owners and used buyers. It will either slow down the decline, or improve used prices IMO.

Flip the chip ! Is the idea of a vertical CFV back beyond the realms of Hasselblad science? Methinks not. I presume, Hasselblad is determined to retain it's massive MF market and encourage it to stay away from other makes as small studio and amateur users move into MF digital. The timing of this move just in advance of the launch of the Leica S2 demonstrates Hasselblad's intention to play hard.

Good news all round and I look forward to software updates for my CFV. Ha !

Is that up or down, do you think ?

The timing of this move just in advance of the launch of the Leica S2 demonstrates Hasselblad's intention to play hard.

Good news all round and I look forward to software updates for my CFV. Ha !

I suppose used square sensor backs will see a drop in prices although this may be limited because this is still a low volume market.

Your observation about Leica's S2 makes sense and is certainly worth to observe.
It indicates Hasselblad has an active marketing team that follows closely what happens in the world of digital imaging.

It is certainly an interesting move by Hasselblad. :)

From a pure product marketing perspective, Hasselblad should not ignore its massive "car park" of V series equipment.

Of course it wants V series pro-users to "upgrade" to the H series as that is where the company sees its future and profits and has invested its R&D.

But there is obviously a large market segment of Hasselblad users that just cannot make the move (or don't want to). While the CFV was a nice development, there must be greater manufacturing profits from enabling selected H series backs fit V series cameras - a matter of simple math and logic. :z04_cowboy:

However, by enticing V series users to take up an H series adapted back for the V series cameras, Hasselblad's chances of later migrating a % of those users to H series improve over time. Even if they don't improve by much, Hasselblad continues to sell backs!!

We should remember that from a pure business perspective, Hasselblad is now in the business of selling camera bodies, lenses and backs - whether these 3 product groups sell as kits, individually or more of some than others really matters not (sure some will have higher margins than others) - what they need is SALES! :z04_smileys70:

Likewise, maybe Hasselblad will "discover" it is actually a "digital MF company". No, not just an H series company, nor just a pro-camera company. This would cause it to make H series backs with adapters to a variety of popular MF cameras. In other industries this sort of marketing strategy is what is used to attack competitors and get in to competitors' user bases! :z04_smileys26:

Certainly selling many more volumes of digital H backs to whichever market segment; to whichever customers; to whichever camera body user, is more profitable than selling less and only to "fully committed" Hasselblad H series users (or even H series and V series users). The spread of the Hasselblad brand and its infiltration in many market segments gives it something it desperately needs - sales volumes and SCALE! :z04_nic_0075: In turn a longer-term benefit is that when these customers have the desire and money to make a full move into the H series, Hasselblad benefits again!

Scale is critical to R&D returns that make shareholders happy. But more importantly, scale improves production costs and market pricing - just look at the rest of the digital industry and prices today compared to 2, 3, 4, 5,... years ago!

We live in interesting times - and these times challenge the marketing strategy skills of many niche camera makers.

Likewise Leica is learning this (I suppose it is fair to say: "the hard way") as evidenced by the S2 series semi-MF camera. While full product and marketing strategy information is scant, the information we know makes some key factors obvious.

It plans there will eventually be 2 versions of the S2, but has not disclosed the actual difference/s. Think about it - what real differences could there be to differentiate pro from semi-pro?

It seems likely that the high end "pro-S2" will have the new large sensor of about 156% the area of a 35mm full frame announced by Leica. So what would we guess the "low-end" version be?

My guess is that it will be a full frame 35mm equivalent - a "small sensor" version. This will allow Leica to offer prior R series (135 format SLR) users a new DSLR it promised a while ago - a full frame DSLR equivalent. This could be easily have the same S2 body (we already know it will not be much bigger than the R9 SLR (not necessarily as big as the Canon 1Ds Mk III "hulk" machine gun), thus most importantly letting them use their R series lens investment. Think about it - a super quality German DSLR offering MF size sensor and new larger image circle lenses; plus the same camera with a full frame 135 format sensor allowing R series lens owners a migration path or simply a new "super-camera"! :z04_sabber:

If this is how Leica unfolds the S2 it may just be the huge success the company desperately needs. The rangefinder market is too limited in volumes; the point and shoot digi-cams market is too competitive and over-crowded for Leica to rely upon.

Likewise, if Hasselblad opens up its market for digital backs - to V series users and other popular MF camera users alike, it might just achieve the volumes it needs to seriously become more profitable and offer very appealing pricing - and we all know that volume sales are critical to competitive pricing which in turn is critical to profits! :)

Finally, I often read the comment like: "... this should mean the V series lives on...". IMHO, why would the V series not live on anyway - I certainly cannot see my V series equipment breaking down or wearing out; nor can I imagine there will not be readily available excellent 120 film! :z04_yes:

SHOOT MORE FILM!!

the H system is an aberration like me and a lot of photographers around the world think.

Hi Eduardo

I am not certain what to make of this statement.

The H system is an exceptional camera system, highly customizable, complete lens line - 11 lenses, 3 extension tubes, tele-converter and HTS.
Complete integregration between body and back and all can be controlled if desired from our Phocus software.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

Hi Paul,

I guess one improvement on the current V system would be to offer the old HC4/RM2 finders with the cut out the newer prisms have to fit the 20x series bodies. A 90 deg finder would be great since the PM90 don't fit these backs. Alternatively offer a upgrade of older HM/RM prisms so they could be used with 20x bodies???:z04_yes:Please!!!!

NASA had one such modified for the 203FE space cameras to fit the 70 magazines.
Anyhow, I think this back was great news.

Ronald

1.5x magnification factor is correct if you are shooting with a square crop.

Paul Claesson
HUSA

Jürgen

What are the differences between the CFII-39 and the CFV-39 ? ? ?
The most obvious difference is the digital magazine housing. The CFV is dedicated for Hasselblad V system cameras and view cameras with an V mount.
The CFII will accept i-adapters so the back can be used on multiple platforms such as H1, H2, Mamiya RZ or 645AFD II or III, Fuji 680, Contax 645 etc.
With the proper i-adapter you can rotate the back for shooting landscape or portrait orientation.

As far as I could see up to now , the difference is ISO800 instead of ISO400 and a longer exposure time . 64 sec instead of 32
Correct, CFV39 will have ISO 800 and 64 seconds.

My understanding of the lens correction , it is done in PHOCUS .
Can you please give more details ? ? ?
Yes, the lens corrections can be adjusted in Phocus.
You will need to manaully enter the focal lenght, distance to subject and aperture for corrections to take place.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

Paul (C)

I had an order for a CFII-39 back , just a week old , but it got cancelled today .
A new order is set up for the CFV-39 back and I am very much looking forward for the delivery .
According to HASSELBLAD Germany , delivery will be in August .

As most of my work is square format , some is rectangular but horizontal , I will not have any trouble using the CFV-39 backs format .

I am very happy , that HASSELBLAD decided to produce that back for the many V-SYSTEM users . That appeases me with HASSELBLAD again .
And . . . . I will keep my CFV back .

CFV-39 come here :z04_whip2_1:

Jürgen

"That appeases me with HASSELBLAD again ."

Now Jurgen, If we could just get a factory tour....................

Terry

Terry

Yes , you are right .
CARL ZEISS would not be the problem , but . . .

For this year , the idea is given up . But , as we could arrange a calendar project for 2009 , we might be able to organize a trip next year ?

Its hard work .

Jürgen

These things take time.
Jürgen and I know that, why not start now.

Lets go for the same month we thought of before, May 2010.

Jürgen is a VIP at Carl Zeiss by now.
I happen to know a good contact in Göteborg.

We could give it another try.
Most of the work is done.
The only thing we need is a little help from Hasselblad and Carl Zeiss.

Terry, that means the money spent on your passport is not for nothing!

Paul

Terry, your lucky with 10 years.
European countries want a new pair of pictures and a lot of cash every 5 years for a new passport.
Guess they expect me to become even more handsome than I am now in 5 years!

Paul

This announcement is exciting news, but I'm curious about the following -
Can the CFII-39 back can be mounted to a V body with a rotating adaptor? And if so, why can't the new CFV-39? And if not, wouldn't you think that perhaps there is a rotating adaptor in the makes, to be introduced later?

Bottom line is, I still prefer square, and 29 mpix should render better detail than 16 mpix. But it still seems ashame to waste 10 mpix of image data that you're paying for! I'd prefer to "modify" my ways and shoot rectangle with the full 39 mpix (if I could ever afford one).

Bottom line is, I still prefer square, and 29 mpix should render better detail than 16 mpix.
If I am reading the specs correctly, it would seem that the improvement in crop factor from 1.5 to 1.1 is the bigger advantage, at least for landscapes.

Steve

Sorry - one more question (or maybe just an observation) -
(And this deals directly with shooting square)

The CFV has a resolution of 4080x4080 px.
The new CFV-39 yields 5412x5412 px if shooting square.

This represents about a 33% increase in resolution over the CFV. In essence, the native resolution for the CFV back on a 24" x 24" print is 170 ppi. With the CFV-39 back, one will have about 225 ppi for the same size print. In either circumstance, the print will be automatically interpolated up to either 300 ppi or 360 ppi, depending on your brand of inkjet printer. So I'm really curious as to how much more resolution one will actually be able to see?

And at what point does one concede that the 33% increase in resolution does not justify the increase in cost of the new back?

Bottom line is, I still prefer square, and 29 mpix should render better detail than 16 mpix.
If I am reading the specs correctly, it would seem that the improvement in crop factor from 1.5 to 1.1 is the bigger advantage, at least for landscapes.

Steve

Note - the 1.1 crop is only if you use the entire rectangle sensor. For square shooting, the 1.5 crop remains the same - no advantage here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back