Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

general thoughts XPan

> [Raul, How are you metering your xpan? I notice in low light it's impossible to get a reading with the in camera system. I use a spot meter then add a stop for the center ND filter. I also just noticed on my xpan the "A" (automatic) only allowed 4" sec as the longest exposure rather than the 8" shown on the dial.]

Hi Ferrell,

I use a seikonic meter and like you add a stop for the center filter which i leave on all the time. I can not comment on the longest exposure time allowed on the A mode because i primarily shoot in manual mode.

because of the expanse of the film and view (in Pano), especially when shooting night cityscapes, the centerweight meter of the camera will always indicate very low reading or B, as there are more dark areas than bright areas in the scene.

it is in situations like this that a hand meter is very helpful.

raul

So much activity on the x-pan Forum - lets see som nice panoramas in the Photo Gallery or someone might just start posting cropped 6 x 6 images

Thanks Ruben! I see that it is past midnight where ever you are... Time for bed no?
happy.gif

Earlier we discussed a filter attachment that I made for the xpan. Here is an ex&le of the ND filter in use. Note that detail is apparent in the dark foreground yet the shot is into the sun.

402.jpg

I am wondering what the Quick release plate for the Xpan actualy does, i picked up my Xpan second hand and it didnt come with one. I'm assume it is the same as a normal quick release plate, but it moves the mounting point towards the centre of the camera body? If this is the case, does the quick release plate fit a Manfroto/Bogan tripod head?
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

I'm sure the plate fits some arrangement but not the typical Bogan or Gitzo/ Arca Swiss type. I've just kept mine in the box and got the RRS "L" bracket which works great!

Hi Ferrel and John(Barclay),

I would like to ask how big are the picture files you use in posting your pictures on your websites? I just recently started scanning my negatives and would at some time in the very near future like to have a website as well or just to share some pictures. Also can you recommend a book on photoshop 7 on picture editing?

all the best!

raul

Raul,

The actual file posted on the web is a very small .jpeg file. The raw scan using the Epson 3200 is a .tiff file and is about 140 meg for me using Silverfast AI and HDR.

Adobe classroom in a book seems to be a good read for image editing.

Hi John,

Thanks for the information.

BTW, the xpan2 is already available at US$2,200.00 for the kit in Hong Kong. Would you know how much they sell it there?

raul

High Ferrell,
thanks for your comment, on your site I like Bermuda Bay very much but I didn't found something about you and your "tools".

martin

Hello everybody,
I am new here and would just like to say, that I have just had a look at John Barclays panorama pictures. I find them great. Respect.
I was wondering if anybody could give me a tip, where to buy a used and not too expensive center filter for the 4/45 (preferrably in Europe) ?
Hans Peter Spitz

Hans,

Thank you very much for your kind comments on my images. The Xpan is a very fun format which I enjoy very much! Every once in awhile I see the center filter on ebay. There is another post (not on xpan) this site about hong kong supplies. Looks like thier prices may be quite good. www.hksupplies.com

To Martin and the rest of the XPAN list. I have posted some of my xpan images on my site (www.andrewfoto.com). I too would like to know if some has or would be willing to set up a xpan link site. I know lots of people are making amazing images but the ones I see the most are commercial nature/ landscape photography. I would also like to see how people are using the xpan format for street photography, fashion/ portraiture as well as architecture. It would be nice to hear from xpan users some techniques and thoughts regarding the pano format. I will type up some of my thoughts and post them on my site soon.

Back