Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

general thoughts XPan

Gentlemen!!

What's up? I use the 35mm setting on my xpan dedicated to infrared. While mostly using the pan format, I use it in the event that I want to sandwich a 35mm IR with slide film. I'll use the 35mm to shoot the color trans then switch the xpan to 35mm to make the IR image. Another reason to shoot in 35mm is illustrative, in order to show the difference. Aside from that, I'm always in pan mode.

So, how about scanning and printing, i just got an XPAN camera and am in the midst of shooting the first roll (b&w ASA 50), i'd love to find a place in Los Angeles, that could scan and digitally print (for not too much money) -- or find a lab that could deliver prints of the negatives.

Do you all generally output your work in the dark room or digitally? What scanners do you use if its digital?

This board looks great, i can't wait to get some excellent information and see what you are all creating. - marc

Marc: Try to find an issue of the April Shutterbug. There is an xpan article in there that you may find useful.

Most photographers produce their own prints. Getting work done at a lab will cost $$$. The best bang for your bucks is to bite the bullet, buy the hardward, learn how to use it, and produce your own work.

The Epson 3200 is excellent for scanning xpan for about $400.

Marc, Take a look at the digital section on this site and then look at the chat about the Epson 3200. I agree with Tony, you will be better scanning yourself and printing on an Epson 1280 or the new Epson 2200. Take a look at Tony's excellen XPAN stuff on his site www.tonysweet.com for some inspiration. You can also check out my site at www.barclayphoto.com as well.

John and Tony

Thanks for the great links and information. I am in the market for a new scanner and printer, so this is what i was looking to hear!

Currently, I take a lot of digital snapshot photos and want to make the switch to a higher quality image (so i'm trying out the XPAN).

Digital sounds like the way to go -- I'll start with the scanner.

- mb (http://www.jetpack.com/marcbrown)

I'm looking to develop/print the XPan panoramic format at home w/ a Beseler 23C II. Does anyone know of a "ready made" negative holder for the larger format? I have a spare 35mm film holder I may have machined out, but finding one "already done" does have an appeal.

Are the lenses for the TX-1 and Xpan interchangable. Basically I have the chance to get a great deal on a Tx-1 with 45mm & 90mm lenses but I want to make sure I can use the 30mm lens in the future.

Thanks,
Carl

In a word... Yes. Fuji makes the cameara and lenses for the XPAN. Fuji also makes a version of the 30mm for less money.

> [I'm hoping you receive this message, using this weird reply system. I don't know where you are located, but in most of the US, used enlarger accessories go really cheap! I'm not as familiar with Beselar as I am with Omega, but I believe their holders are also aluminum. This is easy to work using simple tools. I would remove as much as possible with a drill, and then use a file to get the final outline. Lastly, smooth the edges with fine wet-or-dry paper from an auto supply store. This should save quite a bit over the new one, as even from the usually affordable B&H the price is surprising. ]

>The BH holder seems to be for the 4x5 or 8x10 enlargers as well if I read >the note correctly. The 23C should cover the neg however. I believe it was >designed for up to 6x7 cm negs. The holders are anodized Al as you stated. >Guess I will start looking for the best way to "drill" my own.

Posted by Bill Pearce (Bill_pearce) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 1:40 am:

[I'm hoping you receive this message, using this weird reply system. I don't know where you are located, but in most of the US, used enlarger accessories go really cheap! I'm not as familiar with Beselar as I am with Omega, but I believe their holders are also aluminum. This is easy to work using simple tools. I would remove as much as possible with a drill, and then use a file to get the final outline. Lastly, smooth the edges with fine wet-or-dry paper from an auto supply store. This should save quite a bit over the new one, as even from the usually affordable B&H the price is surprising. ]

Hello All,

Currently i am on a nikon system (801s) with a sigma 180mm 3.5 macro doing mostly macro subjects.

I would love to do panaromic pics (mostly B/W and a lil color) therefore this question.

Is the X-pan the best decision ?
Where could i get the best prices ?
is it wise to go for a second hand ?
if yes which is the best place to get one ?

I reside in India, if a problem crops up, how would i go about getting the x-pan repaired ?

and last question, though it may sound silly.. can i coax an x-pan 40mm to go macro ?? nothing like a macro panorama !!!!

Vijay,

Is the Xpan best. Don't know as there are other options. If you want a small portable unit with sharp optics that uses 35mm film then the xpan is a good choice.

Best Prices? - I see them on Ebay all the time for very reasonable prices used. www.photo.net has a very good classified section and would be another good place to check.

Your last question... I believe you mean the 45mm. It will focus down to three feet.

Hi John

Thank you for replying to my message, yes I did mean the 45mm lens. I am search of a camera (a range finder or otherwise) which is

1) light (My pics are made during treks/expeditions) 2) Sharp (as I need big prints from my velvias) 3) Has macro (I document butterflies and 1:1 is must) 4) Has panoromic mode (not the pseudo one on aps) 5) rugged

As I dont click portraits or any other types other than macro and panorama, I thought x-pan would be perfect if it had a macro lens or some rings that could be attached that would make the 90mm lens, macro.

John you have written about alternatives, may i know which are ones that crossed your mind ?

Thanks again -Vijay Kishan

>

Vijay... Sorry for the delay, I've been away from a computer for the week. Unless someone else can tell you otherwise I don't think the XPAN will be a good choice for your needs. I don't believe it has the Macro capabilites that you want. I was thinking about the Mamiya 7 system as an alternative. A medium format, range finder, with an ability to shoot true pans. I'm not sure about it's macro capabilities....

Vijay, The hard fact is, no rangefinder is useful for macro photography. This is the province of the SLR. No matter the RF or film size, there is substantial parallax error in framing at close distances. Minolta even made a shifting device for the Autocord just for this.

That said, the Xpan is wonderful, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Bill Pearce

I feel a little sheepish about this. I seem to have lost my manual for the 30mm lens. I know I got it in the package, I just cannot find it!!. I very confortable with the Xpan and have used the 90 and 45mm for over the year. I just got the 30mm lens and it work great. I was shooting with it this past week and look forward to the images.

But the real question since I cannot find the manual, does anyone on this site have access to a copy and explain the etchings in the viewfinder. I know its for both reg 35 and xpan format, and it adjusts for parallex but I just cannot remember the distrance for the overall large box in the viewfinder vs the corner markings which seems to give marking for parallex at a closer distance. Any help would be appreciated

Greg

Greg, Sorry to hear you lost your manual. I have mine with me and I'll try to pass on the salient points. "Parallax compensation with the Hasselblad xpan 30mm Aspherical lens is only of practical importance when focusing distances are around 2m or less. Typically, the image on the film will extend beyond the frames regarding the longest measurment of the image, that is across from left to right with the camera in the horizontal position." I suggest reading the next paragraph with camera in hand.

Four drawings appear at the inside flap of the manual, the red dashes mark the position of the view recorded on film relative to the etchings. Of course the closer you are to the subject the more the offset will be. They are: 1)"typical panorama format coverage at infinity." Here the red dashes extend outside of the etchings with no offset. 2)"typical panorama coverage at .7m." Here the top left corner of the red dashes fall perfectly at the top left 1/2 box etch mark. 5) "Minimum standard 35mm format coverage." Here 3 bold dashes mark the left and right edges of the 35mm format. 6)"typical standard 35mm format corner coverage at 0.7m." Here the red dashes are offset to the right and downward so that the top left corner and top right corner of the 35mm format falls perfectly in alignment with the two 1/2 box etch marks.

In practice if I shoot at .7m approx. I compose like I want it, then I eyeball a detail in the scene at the top left corner, then I move the 1/2 box etch mark to the detail I just eyeballed.

Good Luck, Ferrell

Ferrell

Thanks the info. Do you or anyone else in this membership know of a web site with the info I asked about regarding the the 30mm lens or a Hasselblad contact site where I can order another instruction booklet?

Thanks

Greg

Back