Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

general thoughts XPan

Ferrell,

Or for Greg's needs and actually mine as the used 30mm I purchased did not come with a manual... Could you scan the picture and info on a flatbed scanner for us?

John

> [..John, Greg, I don't have a flat bed scanner but I do have a digital camera. I will shoot the image then send it to you. Greg, drop me an email at ferrellmc@comcast.net and I'll send to you also.]

Hi John,
i am happy to finally find a site dedicated to the xpan. i enjoy browsing thru the sites and galleries,and reading the messages posted.

I have both an xpan and the M7II, the M7II is a capable panoramic camera but is better off as a 6x7 camera. for panoramic pictures, the xpan cant be beat. the xpan focuses closer than the M7II although the M6 close up adapter allows the M7II head shots, without it the closest is head to waist shots and then just crop the image on printing.

I also just bought a nikon 8000 film scanner, but i still have to order a special film holder for panoramic negatives/positives.

The xpan2 will be available in May at around US$ 1,900.00 i was told. i buy my cameras from Hong Kong mostly.

I hope to be able to buy one in the near future.
raul

Hi John,
i am happy to finally find a site dedicated to the xpan. i enjoy browsing thru the sites and galleries,and reading the messages posted.

I have both an xpan and the M7II, the M7II is a capable panoramic camera but is better off as a 6x7 camera. for panoramic pictures, the xpan cant be beat. the xpan focuses closer than the M7II although the M6 close up adapter allows the M7II head shots, without it the closest is head to waist shots and then just crop the image on printing.

I also just bought a nikon 8000 film scanner, but i still have to order a special film holder for panoramic negatives/positives.

The xpan2 will be available in May at around US$ 1,900.00 i was told. i buy my cameras from Hong Kong mostly.

I hope to be able to buy one in the near future.
raul

Hi John,

I replied to the email i got from you but somehow it did not make it to forum site-dont know if i am doing something wrong.

the price estimate is for an xpan2 kit with 45mm lense. The Hong Kong stores where i buy my cameras from expect to have stocks this month of may 2003. I am hoping the price will be lower when it hits the stores- i only paid UD$1350.00 for my xpan kit 2 years ago, hopefully. it will be around that vicinity or just a little bit more, price wise.

I will update you on the price once the moment they confirm availability.

raul

Hi John,

I replied to the email i got from you but somehow it did not make it to forum site-dont know if i am doing something wrong.

the price estimate is for an xpan2 kit with 45mm lense. The Hong Kong stores where i buy my cameras from expect to have stocks this month of may 2003. I am hoping the price will be lower when it hits the stores- i only paid UD$1350.00 for my xpan kit 2 years ago, hopefully. it will be around that vicinity or just a little bit more, price wise.

I will update you on the price the moment they confirm availability.

raul

Thanks Raul. You can't reply from your standard email as far as I know. You have to got to the site like you did and do it there. Maybe Dirk can shed some light on how to reply from emial.

Thanks for the info.. Sounds like 2 will be about the same target price as XPAN which is good news.

Hi John,

Just curious, do you use polarizing filter and graduated filters with your xpan? If you do, would you be kind enough to share a tip or two on how use them and compose? With the M7II polarizing filter, the filter swings up so one can view the effect and meter, then swing down to shoot. i cant figure how to use a graduated filter with a rangefinder camera though.

raul

Hi John and Raul,

you can use both for replying. Euther you go directly to the thread in the forum an reply there or you reply by e-mail only.

Please read for reply by e-mail carefully the instructions at the buttom of the e-mail.

Do NOT start typing immediately before reading it.

Have a nice week-end

Dirk

Hi Raul!

I'm not sure how to use a graduated filter on a rangefinder. I know Ferrell was experimenting with the idea so Ferrell...???? Any luck?

Re: Polarizing filter. Yes, I've just been experimenting with it and I've seen others work that is polarized. I've been using a 77mm filter which allows me to look through it as I rotate it in front of the lens. I've just shot a roll of stuff with sky in it to see what happens there. My concern is that there will be light fall off as with other wide angle shots in standard 35mm. My guess is polarizer filters will be much better suited to a scene that does not include a lot of sky. Interested in what others have to say.

Hi John,
thanks for the reply. I will try to experiment holding a square grad filter in front of the lense next time i go out and shoot-will let you know what happens. I tried to use a normal pola filter with the xpan- hoping that when i turn the ring i will catch the meter reading drop to indicate the optimum polarized image, but it doesnt seem to work- i will try again with another brand of polarising filter.

I read in some thread that the leica polarizing filter works well with the xpan. The filter swings up like the M7II filter to view the effect and swing down to shoot.

I would be interested to read what others have to say also.

raul

I've read that others have two filters one they hold and the other is a circular polarizer. They put a mark on each and then hold and turn the one in free space and then match the dot up on the one on the camera.... Does that make sense? By the way I've got 3 new pages of xpan stuff on my site at www.barclayphoto.com Have a look and let me know what you think.

> [John and Raul, I made a disc from aluminum on my lathe that allows me to attach the cokin P filters (square one's) to the xpan. It works very well but you have to realize the limitations. I typically only use the SOFT grads because exact placement can't be confirmed with the rangefinder. I usually compose with the "horizon" about center then I install the filter half way across (eyeball it) my attachement then install the attachment. I like to use a 2 or 3 stop soft grad. Just be careful the grad has an edge parallel to the xpan body and start shooting. Do you think there is a market for these? To gear up and make these attachments I would need to have more than two shooters interested. Have a great day.]

Ferrell, Not sure about the market. Seems like it's a bit to subjective to be a real winner. Maybe someone like Really Right Stuff would be interested in having it available...?

Hi Ferrel,

Thanks for the email. it would be good to have this kind of gadget. i tried holding the filter in front of the lense but it doesnt always work.

raul

Back