Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

The future of Hasselbladinfo.com

What are you using and what do you plan to use?

• I stick with Hasselblad over the next 5 years

Votes: 74 65.5%
  • I use already parallel different brands

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • I am planning to invest in the future in different brands

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I am planning to switch completely to different brands/ did it already

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • I do not mind, if this forum offers also sections for different brands

Votes: 55 48.7%
  • I do want to have this forum for Hasselblad only, otherwise I leave

Votes: 23 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

After a couple of months with the new forum software and the two recent Hasselblad announcement of a Lunar and the stop of the V-System, are there any new thoughts/ideas how to improve the Hasselbladinfo.com forum?

Hi Dirk,

Sad to say that I no longer am a Hasselblad system user. An unbroken stretch of almost 40 years creative partnership has come to a close.

This is a result of changing personal creative needs as I retire back to being a "gentleman photographer" like I was when I started (LOL!) ... and disagreement with Hasselblad's direction as a company.

I have sold almost everything Hasselblad except one HC 100/2.2 lens and the HTS/1.5 unit which I use on my Leica S2. I will probably sell those items and secure the Leica S120 T/S lens.

What triggered the shift to the S2 for my MFD solution was the way that Leica consolidated all my wishes and hopes for the H system into their S system. I had held hope that Hasselblad would make the H5 a dual shutter camera, and would better challenge Phase One's innovative and versatile digital backs. They did neither. Instead they incrementally improved the H5 and sunk their R&D money into the embarrassing Lunar lunacy ... which is proving to be even more horrible as they persist with developing it around a now outdated NEX7 complete with a Sony kit zoom lens all with no less than 7 ugly Hasselblad logos ... while asking $6,500 for it. Not only did they walk away from their MF heritage, they walked all the way to APSC ... and have plans to build a Lunar around the Sony A99 which is an electronic finder camera.

I will say this ... had Hasselblad continued developing the 200 series cameras, kept the partnership with Zeiss, continued developing the CFV backs and made them with a rotating sensor like Leaf has ... I may still be using a Hasselblad.

I now have concentrated on the S system, with ground up digital design, dual use, Leica CS optics ... leaf-shutter to 1/1000 sync or focal plane to 1/4000 with a flip of a switch. Bright optical finder. Weather proof. Super long battery life. Simple and easy to use and take with on my new "gentleman photographer" adventures.

Hasselblad is not alone in disappointing. Leica has wandered off into woods with the new M240. So for the first time in decades, I will not get the latest M camera (at least not until they fix the CMOS sensor color issues and work out the QC mistakes like the strap lugs coming loose). Fortunately, Leica did a bold and innovative thing when they introduced the M Mono which now serves my rangefinder needs in the manner the film Ms did in past ... except I can shoot in lower light than I ever could with a film M.

This Forum:

I still visit Hasselblad forums because I can sometimes help people based on my long history and experience with almost every thing they ever made.

So, my vote would be to make this forum about Medium Format ... the MF forum at Get DPi is very active, and includes use of MFDBs on technical cameras, Pentax 645Ds, film MF, Hasselblad V and H, Phase One, Leica S, Rollei... and backs on V cameras or Fuji studio cameras.

-Marc

Well, Hasselblad chose to make expensive toys like Lunar or red H body and stop improvment in the V line years ago. So nothing for me to wait. I never like the plastique feeling of the H-line.
I'm very happy with my M 240 Leica since few weeks and will use my 203fe & Cfv-39 for a lot of years as there are enought pixels there.
BTW 24Mpix is good enought for me !
hasselbladinfo forum is not so activ and the need of loging to watch it was a mistake. I never understood the limitation of showing Internet pages as this forum does when the goal is to sell google's ads.

With this new forum-software, there is no need to login to be able to read postings. Since December 2012.

Only the images are protected for your own benefit and you need to be logged in to be able to see them.

@ Marc

I think we both agree on all these points. But I need to be sure, that the majority of the users are willing to follow if we open the Hasselbladinfo.com forum for other brands.

@all

So far I read often, that many users want to stay only Hasselblad or Hasselblad users with other equipment. But at the same time, they do not visit and post anymore although it is still Hassy only. This is contradictory.

In the long run we can not run a forum for users who are not willing to support and push the forum. We risk that we listen to the wrong people. We are risking to run in the wrong direction. We can not ignore where the market is moving. At the end of the day, even Hasselblad wants to offer new stuff outside of the H and V system.

But again, I do not want to push in any direction. I would be happy, if the users have some serious thoughts about a possible set-up of this forum, so that they are motivated again to participate (which basically nobody of the die-hard Hassy users is doing at the moment)

Just my 2 cents....

I agree with Marc on most points, the new moves by HB are very disappointing to say the least.

It may be a good move to open it up to all MF users - and exclude any Looney users :)

That said, even the Nikon forum on GetDPI can be very slow with little activity - after the D800 flurry - it is as if I sense a forum boredness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back