Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hasselblad 503CW rumors

Eduardo

I'd like a 1.1 crop so I'd want the sensor size a bit bigger. 16bit at least and I agree less than £5000 sterling. It may be dreamland but I can't help thinking such a back would sell a lot, there are a lot of people hanging on, and even buying, hassie V.

Nik

Q.G., since I don't have shares in Hasselblad I am not really concerned with its profitability if it no longer produces what I want. Once the V system would disappear so would the Hasselblad I am interested in. The badge is not the issue for me: I happen to like Zeiss optics and the square format.

Doesn't the Hy6 hype claim "up to a 48X48 digital sensor possibility" in future?

So a 56X56 can't be done? Not the sensor, ... can the camera accommodate anything bigger than a 48X48?

For hassey to dump the V would be almost as bad as Leica dumping the M. I would love to have a 503cwd today but since the crop is so high , and the fact that my main reason for a hassey is scenics, I just dont think it works out for me. Give me a larger 1.3 or 1.1 crop sensor even at 16mp and I would be elated.

I have not reviewed many Fujinon lenses but the Zeiss optics have that lovely classic fingerprint.

Bojan,

Not a single one of holds shares in Hasselblad.
But when your interest in their product that-produces-what-you-want is linked to them still producing it, you too are concerned about its profitability.
If they hadn't made sure they could stil produce the thing that-produces-what-you-want and make money, the thing that-produces-what-you-want would have disappeared years ago already, and you would have not taken enough of an interest to join in the discussion about the companies policies and future.
wink.gif

The sentiment is widespread: "if they stop making the type of camera i have and use, i don't like them anymore!".
Yet all the while, we do have and use those cameras, and really do not plan to spend money getting a new one, fresh from the factory.
And that is what is deciding the future of the thingies.

What would really hurt us is if they would stop servicing the equipment, stop the supply of spare parts.
And - to a lesser degree - if they (and other producers) would stop building digital backs that can be used on these 'old' cameras.

But our main concern, of course, is to get a good (sensor size!) digital back we can all afford.

Marc,

F&H's marketing director told how the Hy6 started life, still at Rollei, as a 6x4.5 cm camera.
Must be (would be bad marketing to tell us) in answer to both the lack of success of the AF 6008, and the success of the H1 (which in turn was conceived in answer to the success of other 6x4.5 cm cameras).
But it would appear that it was made to be used with a rotating back (Rollei's answer to the vertical orientation problem - the concept 'borrowed' from Mamiya, of course).
So a 6x6 cm square 'sensor' (in silicon or on acetate) should not be a problem.

Marc wrote

. . . . . can the camera (HY6) accommodate anything bigger than a 48x48 ? <

The HY6 is designed to also take film backs with the square format of 56x56 .
This film back is not available yet . If the HY6 can attach such film backs , it will also be able to take digi backs with a sensor up to 56x56 .
More likely is 48x48 as mentioned by F&H people a couple of times .

Ah Jurgen, perhaps then the wise and just people at Hasselblad are waiting like a silent and patient hunter for the time of a 48X48 sensor. Then the glorious CFV-II will swoop in like a Hawk.

As we speak, vast factories are being refined, and highly skilled technicians trained and drilled in the manufacture of the top secret 504CWD, and 204FED.

Meanwhile, in a small room somewhere in Germany, the last signatures have been gathered
and final designs approved between Hasselblad & Zeiss ... for a new line of Autofocus ZCE lenses.

:-O

Marc

NO . . . people at HASSELBLAD are NOT waiting like silent and patient hunters for the time of a 48x48 sensor .
They quake with fear a 48x48 (or even bigger) sensor could be on the market by
tomorrow , long before their new HV-SYSTEM , with the new ZEISS glass you mentioned , can be launched .

G'Day:

I think 'we' have one last shot to have an ungraded 500/200 digiback. I can't see HB following this road too many years, when already there are digiMOVIE cameras in production (enormous $$$ for now) which can make perfect HD movies OR provide one frame for still pictures - which are said to be better already than exisiting full frame Canon etc. Now that's a real FPS rate!

Having learnt not to ask for the 21 speed bicycle when all my parents could afford was the 18 speed bicycle, I would be glad (and a buyer) at 22 4848. The rest is just chasing numbers for chasing numbers sake.

And as Jurgen wrote - a 22 4848 that works all the time, with bombproof software.

Having said that, as long as film is made, I am happy to stay with it.

"We want a CFV22 4848"
"When do we want it?."
"Now"

Cheers,

Colin

"[...] the top secret 504CWD, and 204FED

That would then be a 505 and 207.
For some yet unknown reason, Hasselblad never used even numbers in the 'units-part' of their camera's type names.
Never, except in the 202, which was, well..., not the best thing they ever came up with.

George Eastman contrived the "Kodak" brand name with two K's, because he was particularly fond of the letter K. He even once wrote to another company, asking them to consider changing their name so that it would contain the letter K. Strange, but absolutely true.

Maybe something similar is behind Hasselblad's shunning of even numbers.

As for Hasselblad waiting: the sensible thing to do would indeed wait until the F&H cameras get a 48x48 mm sensor back, and then blow them out of the market by releasing a 56x56 mm sensor back.
Will work, no doubt. But will they do it?

(Why are you all hoping for a 48 mm square thingy, when what we really want is a 56 mm square sensor?)

"(Why are you all hoping for a 48 mm square thingy, when what we really want is a 56 mm square sensor?)"

It's called "settling." What we want and what we will settle for are rarely the same.

"That would then be a 505 and 207.
For some yet unknown reason, Hasselblad never used even numbers in the 'units-part' of their camera's type names."

I'm not sure I'm reading or understanding this right, but if I am, how could you forget the venerable "500" series, particularly the 500CM, which probably holds the distinction as the longest running in-production Hasselblad. "500" is about as even as you can get.

which probably holds the distinction as the longest running in-production Hasselblad. "500" is about as even as you can get.>

Careful, you will wake him up from his dream!
z04_breakdance.gif.gif

Regards:

Gilbert

Wow! An autofocus 204! Sounds real good to me! If were a very fast AX design you could use all your glass.

Regards:

Gilbert

...and the 2000. But, is "F" an even or odd number? Let's see...0123456789ABCDEF...nope, it's odd ;-)

Regards,

Austin

Michael, Gilbert, Wilko, and Austin,

You obviously missed the "in the 'units-part'".
And 0 is neither odd nor even.

So next to the xx0s, there were 501s, 503s, 553s, 555s, 2003s, 201s, 203s, 205s, 903s, 905s.
And as an exception to the rule, that runt of the litter, the 202.

The 0s, by the way, fall outside the numbering system anyway, the number chosen to reflect the fastest shutterspeed directly.
That scheme was abandoned when new models having the same top shutterspeed appeared. That's when the 'avoid-even-number' thing started.

It coincided with a switch in the numbering scheme of other bits of equipment than cameras. While there was something like the HC-4 finder, the PME's are available in 3s, and 5s, the latest being an 51.
The last prisms appear to mark a break with that scheme again, using the viewing angle as type description.

Austin

So the 1600F and 1000F are odd models as well .
And . . . . the 903SWC and 905SWC as well .

But what about the SWA , like Supreme Wide Angle and the Super Wide .
They don't fit into the hexa decimal system .

So , let us turn a blind eye .

Jürgen

Captured today on Google News, said to be first published today. Apologies if this is a re-post.

"PRESS RELEASE: Hasselblad announces comprehensive new Customer Care Program
Demonstrating its commitment to users, Hasselblad is today launching a comprehensive new Customer Care Program, featuring special prices on product upgrades, refurbishment, and extended warranties and support for all registered Hasselblad owners. The first stage of the program, starting today, will provide owners of Hasselblad H1 and H2 cameras with an extremely beneficial trade in or upgrade of their equipment to a number of the most recent model configurations.

In the near future, the program will be expanded to cover owners of all Hasselblad digital products or V System cameras. In addition, a special customer care area on the Hasselblad website will offer informative articles, product information, and other helpful material to all registered H System users.

Christian Poulsen, CEO of Hasselblad, comments on the new program, "At Hasselblad, we are proud of the fact that we are continually striving to develop world leading products and new photographic solutions. We do this so that we can live up to our goal of producing the best cameras in the world for the most discerning photographers, helping them, in turn, to produce the finest images in the world.

"We recently announced the launch of the Hasselblad H3DII, the H3DII-39MS and H2F cameras and the discontinuation of production of certain older H System models. Some H System owners have expressed concern that this means we are abandoning these cameras - and their owners. Nothing could be further from the truth. We see the launch of this new Customer Care Program as further proof of our commitment to our customers and to our products."

One of the cornerstones of the Hasselblad philosophy has always been the long-term support and care provided to all Hasselblad camera systems and the photographers who use them. This has not changed. Hasselblad continues to launch new products - and stop producing older ones - as developments and demands dictate. "We will, however," says Christian Poulsen, "maintain the support of all our existing models and customers, so long as customer demand continues to justify it. And we will also continue to develop new lenses and accessories for use with these products. We have designed, built, and supported the world's most successful high end camera systems for over fifty years, and we will do so for at least the next fifty years. "We trust that this will be seen as a positive step by our customers," says Christian Poulsen. "Not only are we maintaining our support for the H1 and H2 cameras, but we'll also continue to release new lenses and other accessories that can be used with these products. The new products we release will, of course, represent the most cutting edge technological developments on the market today and will, we hope, satisfy the aspirations of the owners of previous generations of H System products, who are keen to have access to the latest available technology."

"For this reason we have set up the Hasselblad Customer Care Program, which will provide a foundation for upgrades, trade-in and refurbishment programs, to ensure that all Hasselblad users have access to the most recent and most advanced products."

Christian Poulsen concludes, "Our message to photographers is clear - whether you choose to stick with your current H System gear or trade up to the newer, more advanced models, you can rest assured that you will always receive the best support and customer care that Hasselblad can provide, both today and tomorrow.""

Cheers,
Mike

Back