Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Xpan images

Hi Jurgen--

Nice to hear that others enjoy steam locomotives. The Union Pacific Railroad has merged with other railroads over the last 30 years or so, until they are now the largest railroad in the USA. At the Cheyene, Wyoming yards they have a steam museum and actively provide these engines for use on special train consists for various events during any year. The "Challenger" type locomotive that is shown is the largest size steam enging still in service in the USA. There was one larger type called the "Big Boy" but sadly it is only on view at the U.P. Museum. It is kinda fun hurrying along an adjacent highway trying to get ahead of the train and finding another viewpoint on down the road.
In the past I have normally used my Fuji 617 for panoramics; however, since the airlines are now so strict regarding bag sizes in the cabin, I am finding a use for the Xpan more frequently. I have not yet seen the new Ektar film in stock at our camera stores; but will try it out when it arrives. The older Ektar 25 was really demanding regarding exposure accuracy and I hope that this new film has a little more latitude.

Don

Hello Sinuhe--

This particular print is 7 x 19" which I frame with an overmat in a 12 x 24" frame.
Most of my 617 format prints are done 12 x 35" and framed with an overmat in an 18 x 40" frame.

Don

lk-panorama.com

I must take this opportunity to tell you about my friend Leif and his Xpan gallery @ http://www.lk-panorama.com

Attachments

• 4s.jpg
    EXIF
    4s.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 4s.jpg
    EXIF
    4s.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the post and link Stephan. They are wonderful images. He is certainly a master of the XPan panorama!

A few weeks ago I back up in the Hunter Valley for a planned trip into the northern New South Wales hinterland. Alas, it rained for 4 of the 8 days I was away! :-(

However, I have some roles of Sensia 100 shot with my XPan while I was away, which are being processed and scanned this week. I am a bit concerned about the scanning though because I am using a new Fuji Frontier lab and the senior operator is unsure about getting fully sharp scans using the 6x7 carrier with masking at the top and bottom for the XPan frame. But I will wait and see.

Then I'll post some images.

Long live the XPan and film!! :)

Hello Simon,

Sorry to hear your trip was not as expected because of the wheather.
In Europe most of us think Australia only has sunshine.
That idea comes from many sun loaded images we get of course.

Come to Europe next year and enjoy some of the summer wheather here.
That gives us a chance to meet and talk about a certain subject.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Yes, next May is looking very good - Germany, Sweden and Switzerland!!! It could be a series of top secret meeting discussions on that certain subject!

God, I'll need a separate shoulderbag for the film!!

Cheers.

Film

Hello Simon,

We have good suppliers of film over here as well. Besides that I just checked my fridge. That stock will last a while.
From Technical Pan till 800 Iso Portra its all there. No Fuji, sorry.

Jürgen and I are working on the May meeting. More news in a little while.

Paul

Well Paul I have to admit I am mostly a Kodak user thses days - and can't wait to try Ektar 100 when it get to Aus!

My favourites are Portra 160NC; 100VS; 100GX; Portra 400VC.

But I have a lot of Fuji Provia & NPZ 120 and Sensia & Fuji Press 135 in the freezer and fridge. Maybe it will be 2 years before i get through the Fuji!!

And from Jurgen's recent updates on wonderful Hasselblad classics around the gtraps in Germany, I might be best walking to Germany; taking a tent and sleeping bag and eating health bars and rice while there so that I can acquire a "beauty queen or 2"!!

By the way, maybe my time in Switzerland will need to be spent in one of those famous clinics on the mountain-tops - treating obsessive compulsive disorders!

Kodak Ektar 100

As you mention Kodak Ektar 100
I have made my first test of this film and it looks to be great for scanning.
Even thought I shoot my first roll under booooring weather conditions I feel that this might be the film for me.
I hope we will see this film for 120 format too!

My first pages of the Ektar 100 film review is now online and I expect to shoot some more this week and finish the review by the end of next week.

Regards/ Stefan
stockholmviews.com

Terrific review Stefan - thanks for sharing it. This film looks very promising. Like you I hope to see it in 120 format too.

Metro Parisien

Picture taken with an Xpan I and Agfa Scala 200 film (with center filter).

Attachments

• METROPARISRCBNEF12bruitPT.jpg
    EXIF
    METROPARISRCBNEF12bruitPT.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • METROPARISRCBNEF12bruitPT.jpg
    EXIF
    METROPARISRCBNEF12bruitPT.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 25
Fantastic image Adraguaire!! Very clever use of the verticle and Scala giving a real feel to the lonely scene in the Paris Metro.

Well done Terry. I find graveyards interesting subjects but rarely take an image that I find compelling - your's on the otherhand is a terrific image!

Many of you will be aware of Australia's worst bushfires in history - wiped out areas in my state of Victoria between 1 and 2.5 hours drive from my home in Melbourne - areas the size of England and killed about 237 people with fire temperatures averaging 1400C (2 x the norm).

This is the sky of that late afternoon now called Black Saturday. Taken from my apartment balcony in Melbourne, the sky was "bushfire-red".

Shot XPan, 45mm, Fujichrome Sensia 100 - the scan is a perfect rendition of the slide and is unmanipulated.

Attachments

• RedSunset-Docklands-XpanV-1.jpg
    EXIF
    RedSunset-Docklands-XpanV-1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 22
  • RedSunset-Docklands-XpanV-1.jpg
    EXIF
    RedSunset-Docklands-XpanV-1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 22
Simon

This is a very impressive image , especially when I think of all the information you gave me about the bushfire catastrophe .
Thanks for posting .
Best regards Jürgen

We all heard about the ordeal that struck the Southern Part of Australia but this picture shows the massive impact these fires had.

Thanks for showing this!

Back