Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Xpan images

Swissblad

Dear Xpan users,
It would be great to see some more photos taken with this wonderful camera.
How about a similar thread to that of the V users?
Best
Sinuhe

The Xpan deserves more attention but it seems there are nolt that many Xpan users around.

A good opportunity for those who own an Xpan to show some results here.
Posting is free uptill 130Kb!

Paul

There is a good (used) HASSELBLAD X-PAN II kit with the 4/45mm lens available at a german dealer .
If you are interested , please PM me .

I am using the Xpan II with 45mm lens since over a year now (bought the last brand new item from the Hasselblad importer in Austria). This camera is simply amazing. Never would I have thought that panoramic pictures could be so breathtaking. It is like discovering another dimension of photography. Plus the fact that you can use standard 35mm film is a bonus in terms of choice, availability and price of films.
I have used the Xpan so far with Fuji films (Superia 200, Reala 100 and Sensia 100). If your end result is prints, I would advise to use negative film right away. Better results can be obtained from negative film as compared to slide film, in my experience.
Here we touch upon another important issue, and the main problem for Xpan users: the choice of a good photo finishing lab. Developing is, of course, easy. But remember to indicate that the developed films should not be cut since the image spans over two regular 35mm shots. Not so many photo labs actually do offer Xpan service. Moreover, prints don't come cheap. I usually print in 10x25 cm (1,70 euro a piece).
I am using the camera with satisfaction as a complementary system to either my Leica 35mm systems or to my Hasselblad H1 or Rolleiflex 6008AF MF systems.
Too bad scanning is such a problem. At least, high-end scanning, which would require a scanner like the Nikon Super-Coolscan 9000. For web purposes, a regular flatbed scanner would of course be enough. Equally expensive would be to project panoramic slides. Only few slide projectors are able to project Xpan slides (among which Götschmann and Rolleiflex).

Pascal

Here is an image taken in wintertime at the lake of Bled in Slovenia. A simple scan of the printed picture done with a flatbed scanner.

Attachments

• Bled.jpg
    EXIF
    Bled.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Bled.jpg
    EXIF
    Bled.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 148
Very nice image Pascal! I've heard there were some significant improvements made in the XPan II, but I'm not quite sure what these were.

I've just started creating panoramic images myself....but since I don't have a panoramic film camera, I'm stitching together images from my Canon 40D or Hasselblad CWD using Photoshop CS3. Here is one of my first panos....made up of 6 separate images. As you can imagine, the full resolution composite image file is very large. Now I need to get some long paper to make prints...which is what I really enjoy doing.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Attachments

• Ship Creek Panorama-2b.jpg
    EXIF
    Ship Creek Panorama-2b.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Ship Creek Panorama-2b.jpg
    EXIF
    Ship Creek Panorama-2b.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 123
Gary

Can you please give some more details about your stitched pano ? ? ?
I was just thinking of a pano project for 2010 or 2011 .

Jürgen

Gary

Can you please give some more details about your stitched pano ? ? ?
I was just thinking of a pano project for 2010 or 2011 .

Jürgen

Hi Jurgen,

I felt a little guilty about posting it here, since it's not an XPan image, but hoped folks might be ok with this since it is a panorama.

This particular image was taken with my Canon 40D, only because that's the camera I had with me at the time.....and I rarely seem to be in this spot when the tide is in.

It was actually easier to do than I thought it would be, mainly because of the capabilities built into Photoshop CS3 (the Photomerge capability). If you have CS3, it is very easy to select the images you want to use, align and blend them together (there are various options that I haven't explored yet). I leveled the tripod & head, manually focused the camera and kept the same exposure for all images I wanted to blend/stitch together. I had about a 25% overlap in each image which I think helps to get a good alignment.

As I mentioned.....I'm just getting started in this myself, so look forward to learning any tips and suggestions from others with more experience.

It does open up a whole new way of seeing and taking photographs....which is an exciting thing to experience again.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Here's my second attempt, taken from the front deck of my home here in Eagle River (with my wife's VW Jetta TDI in the driveway). Most of the leaves have fallen off the trees now and there is a chance of snow here in the next few days. :-(

Attachments

• Little Diomede Circle-Platt House Panorama-1b.jpg
    EXIF
    Little Diomede Circle-Platt House Panorama-1b.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Little Diomede Circle-Platt House Panorama-1b.jpg
    EXIF
    Little Diomede Circle-Platt House Panorama-1b.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 102
I had TX-1 (Japanees X-pan I) for yeas. It's caled landscape camera, but nowaday with autostitch (or equivalent) you can do even better for lanscape.

The great power of X-pan was for...portraits.
As you can see advertisings from Hasselblad years ago. With the 90mm you get a classical portrait lens witch give large backgrund to give context situation.

I liked very mutch this camera, but the light was allways missing and the use of filter made it hard to use with decent film (100 asa or less).

The "very expessive" 30mm lens is realy needed for use but 5.6 (+ filter give about 8) was not an issu for me.

I jumped on M8 1.5 years ago and use autostitch when wide landscape is needed.

As Leica will produce a special sensor size (S2), I wonder why Fujilblad did not produce a "X-square-digital" with the 16Mpix 38x38mm sensor on rangefinder camera that use X-pan lenses !

Sinuhe,
What a great idea. Thanks.

I am sorry I missed this thread since I have been unwell.

I will dig up some examples to post to the max size allowed on this site.

Pascal I'm pleased to see you are enjoying your XPan. I have had mine about 3 years - bought the heavily discounted XPan II + 45mm + 90mm kit.

I always take it with me when shooting Hsselblad 6x6 or Leica M. It is the perfect companion and opens up a wonderful world.

Here are very small file samples I have taken. Later I will post maximum size images allowed here.

Simon, typos corrected free of charge.
Paul

Attachments

• maitland_winery_treew.jpg
    EXIF
    maitland_winery_treew.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 64
  • maitland_lake_boatc.jpg
    EXIF
    maitland_lake_boatc.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 73
  • camp-lake-sunset-pan-16.jpg
    EXIF
    camp-lake-sunset-pan-16.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 000013_edited-1.jpg
    EXIF
    000013_edited-1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 84
  • maitland_winery_treew.jpg
    EXIF
    maitland_winery_treew.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 66
  • maitland_lake_boatc.jpg
    EXIF
    maitland_lake_boatc.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 72
  • camp-lake-sunset-pan-16.jpg
    EXIF
    camp-lake-sunset-pan-16.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 000013_edited-1.jpg
    EXIF
    000013_edited-1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 84
All of the really nice XPan images posted recently have inspired me to look up one of my own. Shown is an image that I call "Steam Rolling", U.P. #3985 Challenger. The Union Pacific Challenger #3985 "Special Consist" was headed to Houston and Super Bowl XXXVIII on this cool January, 2004 morning and we were train chasing along Interstate 45 South of Corsicana, TX. As we hurried along seeking a nice foreground, we came upon this marsh area complete with a bridge trestle. We managed to get set up just in time for this shot. I particularly like the trail of black smoke that is hugging the ground in the cool & humid winter air. I enjoy photographing the nostalgia of the 1940's style steam era that these Special Trains convey.

This shot was taken with the XPan and 45mm lens with Center Filter on Kodak Portra 400UC film and scanned on a Nikon 8000 ED Scanner. I normally print this picture on Epson Premium Luster Paper using the Epson 7600 printer; however, I have recently replaced this printer with the Canon iPF 5100. I have found that most of the Epson Papers will print just fine on the Canon printer using the generic named profiles that are furnished.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your XPan images posted on the forum.

Don

Attachments

• UP3985,1_04.jpg
    EXIF
    UP3985,1_04.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 180
  • UP3985,1_04.jpg
    EXIF
    UP3985,1_04.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 181
A magic image Don.

We were so lucky....... NO! Not lucky.... SMART...... to have acquired our XPans. :z04_cowboy:

Now in another post where I included a link to Kodak's new colour c-41 film, I am now being pushed by Jurgen to "put my money where my mouth is". :z04_hinterherjagen: He insists I get the Ektar 100 (sadly only available in 135 currently) and shoot it with my XPan to demonstrate how good tghis new emulsion is!!!

Well my friend Jurgen might have to wait a bit because I am finding it hard to get stocks of it. But as soon a it arrives down under, I'll put it to the test with the XPan.

Someone earlier asked about print sizes - I have had wonderful results from my Fuji Frontier lab - they put the film in a 6x7 carrier and mask the top and bottom. Now this means the maximum scan resolution is about 50% of what it would be for a 6x7 frame. But for 'normal" nice prints, it is very good. :z04_5769:

My lab experimented with my first roll I shot and charged me nothing for the prints. They were about 1 metre + long and what ever the ratio is for height. This is a very eye-catching size when framed and hung.

The prints were done at a print resolution of 260dpi - not the ideal 300 or even (I think Marc has told me this before) 360dpi print res. But even when I am say 1 foot away from the image, I cannot really see any weaknesses. :z04_nic_0075:

Keep posting everyone. I'll find some of my own over the weekend.

All of the really nice XPan images posted recently have inspired me to look up one of my own. Shown is an image that I call "Steam Rolling", U.P. #3985 Challenger. The Union Pacific Challenger #3985 "Special Consist" was headed to Houston and Super Bowl XXXVIII on this cool January, 2004 morning and we were train chasing along Interstate 45 South of Corsicana, TX. As we hurried along seeking a nice foreground, we came upon this marsh area complete with a bridge trestle. We managed to get set up just in time for this shot. I particularly like the trail of black smoke that is hugging the ground in the cool & humid winter air. I enjoy photographing the nostalgia of the 1940's style steam era that these Special Trains convey.
Don

Don
What a wonderful image . I am a gauge 0 modeltrain lover and think , that this is a historic train ? ? ? That long train with the black smoke just passing that long bridge is perfect for a pano . Very well done .
There are no more steam engines running in regular traffic in Germany .

Now , I am curious , what panos Simon will present , when the new EKTAR film has arrived in Down Under . I could imagine a herd of 300 kangaroos jumping from left to right . Or , if you want , from right to left .:)

Jürgen

Back