Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

V System Future Redux

Not a "Grenade" IMO Simon.

I do the same thing pretty much ... at least when shooting weddings.

But I refuse to carry the 70-200/2.8 IS "widow maker" all day. And I hate distortion when shooting wide scenes that feature church interiors ... or some of the fab places my clients pay an arm and leg for to hold their receptions. A M 24mm murders anything Canon makes, as does the 35 on the H camera for MF. Leica R wide to med-tele zooms also murder the Canon versions.

But for fast paced work it's Canon fast primes, and astute anticipation ... so no need for zooms really. Works for me.

BTW, I'm looking seriously at the Nikon D3 and a few of the new Zeiss ZF lenses.

"widow maker" Fantastic Marc!
happy.gif

It's really interesting to hear how you select gear for such "sensitive" work as weddings - my guess they are arguably the most stressful work for a photographer, so I admire your skill and nerves!!
happy.gif

Oh yes, Leica's Elmarit-M 24mm is simply a glorious super-wide lens. I doubt that any other has come close to it. Having said that I must be careful because I think Zeiss does a 25mm in M mount that is both designed and built in Germany rather than built by Cosina (I'll stand corrected). But it would have to be some sensational lens to get close the the Leica 24mm.

But, I sold it to go towards my XPan II kit. I realised I did not use the 24mm enough and was always cropping 24mm to panoramas (leaving very little film real estate for enlargements) - it is the way I often see wide-angle images in small format. I borrowed an XPan with the 45mm lens (equivalent angle of view to 25mm in standard 135 format). That was a revaluation that started a love affair.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Yes, I know some Leica R users who only bought that for the wide angle lenses and otherwise shoot Canon AF.

I wonder how many D3 cameras will be sold "off the back" of Zeiss lenses in that mount?? I suppose you are convinced that the D3 sensor will do justice to the Zeiss glass. It will be Nikon's first full framed 135 format sensor won't it? I will look forward to your report.

Re the "widow maker" - wow what build quality! I avoided the IS version since it has more elements and groups making me feel justified sticking with the non-IS version especially since my Canon kit is not my primary kit.

So, I think I have got my gear working in harmony now - all centres around the Hassy 6x6 kit - Leica M when compactness is essential - XPan when very wide angle (AKA panorama in my language!) is in order. So the XPan comes with the 6x6 or the Leica M depending upon the appropriateness of 6x6 or 135 format for the task.

Ah Simon, so many fine gears, so little time : -)

The Leica 24 ASPH, has come into it's own for me on the M8 due to the sensor crop area. It's the widest you can go without using an Aux. shoe mount finder on the M8.

Yes, weddings can be stressful given how important the day is to the clients, and nothing is really repeatable. One shot, one chance. Shooting weddings is very important to me personally because it provides an on-going purpose photographically. There is no chance to slack off when you have 20 weddings to photograph.

Preliminary reports and attendant images from beta testers of the D3 look favorable so far.
Nikon apparently has something full frame to give Canon a run for their money, with a higher meg version in the pipe-line. While Zeiss themselves continue to tout the superiority of film, the performance of lenses on any digital camera is relative. Better is still better, even if the full measure of any given lens is compromised when mounted on a digital camera.

Concerning Hasselblad as the core ... couldn't agree more. I was just musing to a fellow off-line on how versatile the Zeiss lenses have been over the years. Simply the best optical investment I have ever made. I'd hazard a guess that I've used the V lenses on other MF cameras almost as much as on Hasselblad bodies. Currently use them on a Mamiya 645 sporting a Leaf Aptus 75s digital back.

I do seriously regret prematurely selling my X-Pan ... especially since aquiring the Imacon 949 scanner. The hidden value of that experience was to erase my predijuce concerning Fuji made lenses, which helped make the leap to H system a bit less doubtful.

Marc I can see exactly how beneficial the 24mm ASPH is on the M8. One aspect of the M 24mm I was really impressed by in addition to the tonality and mind-blowing resolution, was the "drawing". To my eyes ASPH lenses can be a bit "brutal" with less finesse - but, the 24mm had wonderful "finesse". I find that my Summicron-M 35mm ASPH is a bit brutal, although it is an excellent lens - possibly it is a contrast thing.

I was unaware that other MF cameras had adapters available to enable Hassy lenses' use - Chinese adapters??

I occasionally use my Hassy lenses on my 1vHS with a beautifully made Chinese adapter. Funny thing is that it mounts more precisely to the IvHS than do Canon original L series lenses!

What is your general view of the H series lenses and by comparison to the V series? Was it a disappointing step in any way?

I am actually quite a fan of Fujinon lenses - MF and LF. I find their tonality is much more "German" than "Japanese".

Zeiss ZF lenses fit the Nikon F mount Marcus. Some spectular choices including a 100/2 Macro !!!

Simon, the V to Mamiya adapter is indeed well made and from China. What I really like is using the FE glass on the Mamiya. I did some test shots yesterday using the 250FE and WOW!
I could shoot wide open in broad daylight using a 1/3200th shutter speed.

I have no complaints at all concerning the H/C lenses ... I was prepared to prefer the Zeiss ones so I also selected the CF adapter so I could use my CFE and CFi lenses on the H camera, but rarely do that since being won over by many of the H/C choices. However, the Zeiss collection I have aquired over the years provides access to focal lengths not availble in the H/C series yet. I use the Zeiss Fisheye, and 180/4 from time-to-time. I agree, the tonality is more mico-contrast looking than say my Mamiya 645 glass, which in some cases is very sharp, but lacks that certain something.

I'm particulary happy with my ZM Biogon 21mm/4.5 on my M8.

Just waiting to get a 40mm IF and a "new 2008" digital back for my 202FA.

I had an interesting time today. I've been trying out a Panasonic DMC-L1 with the panaleica lens - it takes really nice photos and I printed one out at 13x19 (epson 3800). Then I scanned and printed a picture from my newly acquired Holga. The tonal gradients, rendering of shapes, and colour were excellent. Film was provia 100. Maybe I should stop wondering what a digital back would do on my 201F.

Nik

The tonal gradients, rendering of shapes, and colour were excellent. Film was provia 100. Maybe I should stop wondering what a digital back would do on my 201F.>

Indeed, Nik you made the right choice!

Good Luck:

Gilbert

Thanks Gilbert

The holga is a really fun camera. I have a slight problem with the zone focussing though!

Nik

I just noticed that Hasselblad in Switzerland witch use to sell second hand gear do not have anything in V for sale just now. They use to have about 10 V stufs for sale for years. They probably sell all of them at low prize 3 days ago.
Perhaps they know why it's beter to sell Blad V now at any prize...

Hasselblad Import in Belgium and Holland did the same 4 years ago.

They sold all V series they took over from Hasselblad Utrecht within a year.
The new importer is a former Imacon dealer who is interested mainly in the H system.
They still supply V series and parts but strictly on demand. No more stock.

Every business needs turnover on their stock.
If this slows down it is better to drop the stock and accept a loss.

Back