Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Scanning Xpan negatives

> [I am not familiar with "PecPads" could you please share what they are and where they might be available. Can they be used post darkroom just before scanning? Thank you.]

Pec-Pads are 4X4 inch square ultra soft, lint free wipes that come 100 quanity packs.

They're made by Photographic Solutions in the USA: phone# 1(508) 759-2322. Light Impressions also sells them (product #7239).

I first blow off the film and then wipe it down with a Pec-Pad...then when mounted in the film carrier, I blow it off again. Rarely does any dust shows up after that.

For stubborn film with smears there is PEC-12 archival emulsion cleaner liquid to use with the pads. Also available from Light Impressions (product #5611).

I was pointingt out that there is a lot to consider when archiving digital images, and most people (pro and layman) have barely scratched the surface.

For digital storage, "archival" no longer means just the longevity of the recording medium. It also refers to the format the files are saved in, as well as the hardware needed to read them. File format has changed as much as the changes in storage media over the last 20 yrs.

Film is "self contained" like printed words on paper, and that is not an uncommon "mindset" for most people. It is what most of us have grown up with. Most people are not "thinking" of what comes down the road in 10-15 yrs when using purely digital.

On the matter of actual digital storage, think of the following "nightmare" numbers:

When copying the pics over as technology changes, think of what happens if you shoot 3-36exp rolls a week, for 10yrs -> 56000 "original" images + maybe 10-20% more that are 2nd generation "cropped" or "adjusted" images. "Click and drag" is not going to cut it at those levels.

You may shoot fewer images in MF ( mainly because there are 12/24 exp rolls which cost more $$$). However, MF digital/scanned files are massive. A 6x6 scanned at 16bit runs over 400Mb/image. That means (1) standard CD ROM per image.

And just to add icing to the cake....R/W CD/DVD media is only rated for 10 yrs, and a lot of people are using it to "squeeze" more pics on the same disk ( to save $$$). So they can plan of duping everything just for that fact alone, every 10-12 yrs.

Does anyone have thoughts on the Microtek Artixscan 1800tf scanner reviewed in the current Shutterbug Magazine? It has a flatbed for general graphic use and a pullout tray for all kinds of transparancies/negatives. There does not seem to be a pano film holder but it does have a snaptemp 8x10 glass tray for odd sized film, possibly 24x65 negatives. Does anyone know if it is a glass sandwich or is the making of a mask needed? Thanks

Has anyone tried a Canon CanoScan FS4000US?

I would be intrested if it will scan the a xpan neg in one go. Also what kind of results if poss.

Nick, I've used the CanoScan 2700. The problem with stitching scans from the CanoScan lies in the vertical orientation of the neg/slide holder. Due to mechanical tollerances and gravity each scan will be slightly different in "rotation" - it's quite laborious to make two scans match for the stitching. That's why I prefer the horizontal tray of the Nikons. Their scans stitch with no adjustment necessary.

Nick, I scan very seldom, but I use a HP 5470C, which scans the 24x72 Xpan-negs without any problem, in a single scan. The only problem is, that this scanner does not have a very high resolution. Regards Peter

> I use the Coolscan 8000 ED, and it is excellent with 'true' 4000 dpi > in both directions. You have to get the additional glass carrier with > multiple masks however to do the Xpan. There is a mask for the XPan > negative provided with the glass carrier, and you must scan the > negatives individually (no batch operation).

I just purchased the Epson 3200 Photo Pro flatbed that has the filmstrip carrier without dividers for panos. Will scan later today. Does anyone have comments on this scanner? Seems like a good price for the resolution and a $100 rebate till years end.

I scan all my slides (36 exp.) in one Batchscan on a High-end Screen drumscanner. It's my work, so who cares about the price. This stays and is still the best way fo scanning negatives and slides as big as an A3 paper. RGB 48bit or CMYK till 12000 by 12000 real dpi's
Who I am in heaven! But I have seen some very very good results from an EPSON perfection 3200.

> Michael,

I have just performed about 150 scans with the Epson 3200 for X-Pan negatives. Mostly on Fuji Superia 200 negative film. The scanner works as I expected. To prevent random and to get rid of the time waste in multiple scanning I choosed an output format 10*27 cm with 1200 dpi. Afterwards I use the delivered Photoshop Elements 2.0 to downs&le to 300 dpi which is enough for printed pictures. Define the scanning window to 6,35 * 63 to avoid the time consuming cutting of the scans. The scan-frame definition is not that exact in the Silverfast software. By the way, I use the Silverfast 6.0 AI for the Epson. The main problem is the coulour management. In future, I will scan positive DIA film und use the IT8 calibration feature of Silverfast. Scanning negatives, you have to use the NEGAFIX tool of Silverfast. There, the Fuji negative film is difficult to handle. Sometimes, it is better to use the settings for another film. I could not figure out the best way yet. I had excellent and horrible results. I will track that problem. Silverfast is an excellent Software, but the preview windows are too small at all. My hint for negatives: Make a raw scan with the basic Silverfast Software without any features. Then use a second party software to optimize the coulours. I try to report my experiences on positive scanning with the IT8 calibration feature of silverfast after Christmas. But at all: Forget all ideas about stichting. The batch scanning feature of the Epson with Silverfast is an fine solution. You can scan 6 pictures at once. The defintionin of the scans takes 5 to 15 minutes, then you start the scan and go to bed or leave to have a drink. It takes max .one hour, depending on your settings.

Peter Feisst

Hi Lutz/Hans, Thanks for your replies, I've posted the details of the Canon CanoScan FS4000US below as it looks like it should be able to scan a complete xpan neg in one go! and it is a reasonable price (around $500 US).

Meet the new standard in desktop film scanning. With its class-leading 4,000 dpi resolution the CanoScan FS4000US creates utra-rich digital images from 35mm film strips, mounted slides and Advanced Photo System (APS) film cartridges. http://www.canon.com.au/products/scanners/scanners_low_medium_volume/canoscanfs4000us.html

Also I found this intresting site on neg scanners, a little dated but intresting: http://www.cix.co.uk/~tsphoto/tech/filmscan/

P.s. Lutz, don't mean to be funny, but could you just lie the scanner on its side?

Sorry Guys..... the CanoScan FS4000US is a dud.
Scanning Area
35mm
24.0 x 36.0 mm
Advanced Photo System (IX240)
15.6 x 27.4 mm

> >>P.s. Lutz, don't mean to be funny, but could you just lie the scanner >>on its side? > Hmmm, might give it a try and report...! ;o)

Check out the new Epson 4870 flatbed and the Nikon CoolScan 9000ED. Any idea of how these will work for XPan? The Nikon specifically acknowleges the format, but the Epson will be much cheaper. Can flatbed compete?

I've had good luck using the Epson 3200 flatbed. I'm sure the Nikon 9000 will be a bit better but not sure just how much better. I'm thinking the major difference with be going from teh flatbed to a drum scan.

Anyone know of comparisons between film scanners and flatbeds? Lots of folks talk down about flatbeds, but Epson 3200 owners seem to love their scanners.

I believe there is a link on this site if you look hard enough that will take you to a very good detailed review of the 3200. I can tell you that I use the 3200 with Silverfast AI software and get saleable fine art prints that I sell that are 11"X30"

Back