Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Questions from a newbie

piterengel

Hi everybody, this is my first post. I've not yet a Hassy but I've the opportunity to exchange my Rolleiflex 3.5T with a 500 CM + 80 mm + A12. Now I'm using a Zenza SQA. Can you tell me if there are REALLY GREAT differences between Zenza and Hassy? Of course only the name Hassy is a dream for a photographer! My favourite subjects are landscapes and natural details, i.e. ice, wood, leafs, etc, all b/w.
Thanks all
P.

"Can you tell me if there are REALLY GREAT differences between Zenza and Hassy?"

What`s the difference between a Saab and a Mazda?
Your Rolleiflex with the Planar 3.5 is excellent, trade the Mazda, keep the Mercedes.

Cheers

André

André,

You should try "Lubitel" or "Holga" as an old USSR(ian) "Traban" in you comparison, it can also gives some original visions... Personaly even if I take pictures with a 500cm (because it is a wonderfull, flexible, reliable, evolutive, and maybe the most important thing reassuring tool), I really don't want them to look like a Mercedes or a Saab.

Pierangelo, since I have my Hassy, I am sure that it's my fault when I am not satisfy with my picture result...It's not due to the camera...good point.

Regards

Pierre

I forgot to say that Mazda MX5 (Miata if you prefer) is a wonderfull car...inspired by old english roadsters as MG B and Triumph Spitfire...(no comparison with german car easthetic)
happy.gif

Pierre

Pierre,

Even beeing a wonderfull machine, the Mazda isn`t a Triumph or an MG, the Trabant is East German, Saab & Mercedes are excellent quality machines, reliable, flexible, etc.
What`s next, Carl Zeiss lenses have the same optical quality as their Bronica counterparts?
I don`t try Lubitel and Holga because I don`t see them giving me any advantage or evolution to my photographic style, only that, everybody should use what they want and think is correct for their shooting style.

Cheers

André

Pierangelo
don't get yourself confused about this car discussion!
I am also fairly new to the world of Hasselblad (that is 11 months or so) and I get fond of my equipment more every day. It is just a clever concept, reliably built with some of the best optics in the world.
Is there more to say?

oh
and I forgot: if you have not yet invested a lot into your Rolleiflex, this might still be the moment to change the brand and start with a good basis of Hasselblad-Equipment.
More optics, backs and accessories will follow - budget permitted.
This is one of my first "landscapes" I shot with the Hassey last June on the Seychelles.
501CM, 80mm, Kodak T-Max 100, manually developed and enlarged.
15463.jpg

This is a hard question to answer. In MF I use both Hasselblad and the Mamiya C330 TLRs and as you know, each has its big advantages. Both are older systems too and require some work and care to use, a bit like your Rollei. Hasselblad lenses, while the very best, can be expensive, and the visible differences depend on which lens you compare to which. For me it would depend on how happy I was with the system I had, what kind of photo work I did, how much money I had invested in it, and how much I would have to pay to get the items I needed in the other system.

My first "real" camera in the 60s, by the way, was a Rollei 3.5F Planar and I wish I had not traded it away.

> Hi everybody, this is my first post. I've not yet a Hassy but I've the > opportunity to exchange my Rolleiflex 3.5T with a 500 CM + 80 mm + > A12. Now I'm using a Zenza SQA. Can you tell me if there are REALLY > GREAT differences between Zenza and Hassy? Of course only the name > Hassy is a dream for a photographer! My favourite subjects are > landscapes and natural details, i.e. ice, wood, leafs, etc, all b/w. > Thanks all

I love my Rollei, but Hasselblad has a greater and greater advantage as you move closer and closer to your subject. You mention doing details of leafs etc. Hasselblad is an excellent camera for this, though you'll need to get some accessories, like extension tubes, or proxars. I've never used Bronica gear and couldn't help with a comparison. Brad

Funny, that it was mentioned that one (Pierre) does not a Saab looking camera but Hasselblad. Original designer of Hasselblad 1600F was one of the greatest Scandinavian designers ever, Sixten Sason (Andersson). He also did design Saab 92 and was also involved designing Saab 99. I do like Saabs and Hasselblads!

Kerkko K.

Funny the camera/car comparison.

Just got a new accessory for my Hasselblads.

A Volvo XC90 V8 AWD. Even got an electric cooler to keep film in ... and a DVD player to view my Imacon shots on.

Car paid for from Hasselblad commercial work.

BTW, latest Volvo catalog has a photographer using a Hasselblad as part of the beauty shots.

Well, considering the answers received and the fact that the exchange Rollei + accessories / Hasselblad will be without further money request, I think I'll do it. Then I'll try to sell my Bronica to buy another lens, for ex&le a 150 mm. I think this could be my next lens because of my interest on details, but first of all: come here, Hassy!

Thanks all and any other idea is welcome.

P.

If you want details (leaves, etc.) at short distances (5 meters or less) then get the 120mm Micro instead of the 150mm.

Hi Pierangelo. The direct answer to your question is ABSOLUTELY YES! The Hasselblad V system has delevoped an enduring superlative reputation over many decades for very good reasons. The V system is where two great design, engineering and manufacturing brains and companies got together - Zeiss and Hasselblad.

Ditto everything Flo said (I very much like his s&le shot too). Keep analogies out of it.

But, do remember that no camera or system "maketh the great photographer". Only you can compose wonderful images, create superb exposures etc etc. The camera and system just supports that.

Like you, but many years ago, I had a Bronica SQA system with 3 or 4 of their lovely lenses. This is a good kit for any user unless the Bronica system excludes components you need for your type of shooting (in the same way Hasselblad does not cover every user's needs) - the same applies to all MF systems. But the Bronica system is no more, so now may be the best time to exit.

There is little debate that in MF the Zeiss/Hasselblad lenses are generally benchmarks. But that does not mean others are weak - far from it. For ex&le, Mamiya makes some wonderful lenses.

I took on Hasselblad as a step up into superlative optics and a system that better fit my needs. I was only able to afford that because of the digi growth (and no digi comes anywhere near a full MF film image).

I have a 501CM, some backs, 45 viewfinder, 50, 80, 180, 250mm lenses. Every time I pick up the gear to take shots I am inspired. My next wish list item is like Larry suggests, the 120 Makro to fill a gap between 80 and 180.

Of course, trade your Bronica system for Hassey since you are obviously happy with 6x6; however, think twice before you let go of the Rollei 3.5T. A TLR is a wonderful MF to own and these are the best. It complements an MF SLR system.

I got a 3.5F (circa 1956) and I adore it (super silent etc etc) - different horse for different courses.

If you are committed to serious MF, enjoy 6x6, see value in superlative optics, and feel the Hassey V system covers all your shooting needs, then go for it. I'm delighted I did. Buying is good now but prices have been friming up since I did about 3 years ago.

However, if you're not that intensive a user; agree Bronica glass does the job (and it too is of excellent quality); the system suits your needs, why bother since you have a very good system.

Finally, a tip - be sure to have a good hand held light meter (incident and spot). I use a Sekonic L558 and it is superb.

Attached is a shot I recently took with the 180mm Sonar f5.6 CF lens. Of course it is nearly impossible to judge detailed quality over the net, but I hope you get the idea. My 25"x25" print is wonderful.

15467.jpg

Simon
Don't get me wrong. For a precise comparison and thoughtful explanation I very much like analogies.
However, this is not a car-discussion board, eventhough for the money spent on a Hasselblad you could get one very nice :)
This is a great shot, if I remember right you had it in another thread too. Well composed and I like the moving water.
Is there a website of yours where we can see more of it? If you're interested: mine is http://www.floriandivis.net

After reading all posts I've no more doubts about the exchange. Maybe tomorrow it could be the right day.
On keeping my Rollieflex, this is not possible because the guy who will give me Hassy really wants this model. But this is not a matter for me.
I still have a Minolta Flasmeter IV light meter. It is not spot meter, but for these cases I use my Contax S2 or RTS II as light meter. Both them are very accurate.
Soon I'll send as annex few images made with my first Hassy.
Thanks all
P.

> Keep the Rollei or give it away, get the Hasselnlad or not, but please spell it "Rolleiflex" and not "Rollieflex". This makes me sick. (please do not take this rude mail seriously but the company is named "Rollei" and not "Rollie" although nowadays you get 1.860 results when typing "Rollieflex" into Google, similar thing with "Lieca" instead of "Leica")

Ulrik (one of those ugly Germans)

But somtimes it is great because good cameras at cheap prices hide behind misspellings - misspelllings - messpillings - duh !

Back