Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

No more CFE

Paul,
interesting, this swapping business. Now if you tell me that it would be possible to put a 120 mm S-Planar optic into a CFE barrel and have databus functionality - that would be something. But for sure that's out of question as it can be.
Ulrik

A 60mm cfe should have been great.
By the way is it possible to imagine to take electronic parts from a dead cfe lens to improve a CF lens ?

"But what they offered me was to put the glass into a new barrel with a new shutter".

Ulrik, Would that have not "repaired" your lens?
i.e. you would now have a lens with a working shutter. Surely one must consider this a "repair"

When a resistor in an electronic camera for ex&le, "burns out" and is replaced (you don't repair a resistor), one must consider the camera "repaired".

The bigger issue here is perhaps Zeiss' inability to "replace" when a part cannot physically be repaired, thus rendering an item useless.

@ Isidore,

Yes this conversion can be done provided the receiving lens allows for the extra parts to be fitted.
A number of later "F" lenses are suitable to have the databus and related parts fitted.

@ Colin,

A repair job where most major components are exchanged is not a repair job but a reconstruction or restauration.
A damaged car is not "repaired" by fitting its wheels to a new car.
I have not even mentioned the financial consequences.

Paul

Paul

Do you have any idea , if my F2,8/150 could be converted to an "FE" 2,8/150 .
I ask this , because I am afraid , that ZEISS will not be able to fix my lens .

Jürgen,

The "F" series lenses can be divided in four generations.

Early models:
With these lenses the lettering is applied on removable metal bands
that are fitted with two small screws to the lensbody.
These lenses are not suitable for conversion to FE specs.

Second model:
The lettering is applied to the lensbody by screen method.
Some parts and wiring are already present in this lens but the 4 contacts on the baj. plate are missing.
These lenses are suitable for conversion to FE spec.

Third model:
Lettering as second model has databus contacts but is still designated as "F" model.

Last version:
Has databus contacts and "FE" printed on the lensbody.
This lens also has twin blue striping on the lensbody.

Some lenses were modified in other areas towards the end of production.

I do not know what is the cause of the problems with your lens.
If it needs a new aperture mechanism it might be a good idea to remove the glass from
your lens and fit the glass to a new lensbody with databus spec.
Where did I hear this suggestion before??

The difference is the price.
I have one brandnew glassless FE lensbody left.
As far as I know there are no more conversion kits available.

Paul

Paul

Thank you very much for your extensive answer .
I am afraid , that my lens does not belong to the group which can be modified .
Its the serial number : 5883927 which will be the year 1976 , the year of the first lenses of this type .

Zeiss diagnosed a defective aperture unit . They have three pieces of this type in stock ,
but . . . . . . . . listen , all of them are defect . Great . Thats what I call quality. Hahahahaha

In my last phonecall with Zeiss , I suggested , that they should make one good one out of the 3 remaining ones , but I was told , they will not do that .

So , I am not kidding , put your thumb on your glassless FE lensbody , and keep it for me .
You can send me details , if you are ready to go that way with and for me .

Regards Jurgen

Third model:
Lettering as second model has databus contacts but is still designated as "F" model.>

Last version:
Has databus contacts and "FE" printed on the lensbody.>
This lens also has twin blue striping on the lensbody.>

Paul:

I have an F 250mm with two blue lines and the data contacts. The F 250mm seems to be a light gray colored screen print. My F 110mm is marked the same.

Any ideas?

Regards:

Gilbert

Gilbert,

Thanks for mentioning the striping on your lenses.
I did not check with the lenses that I have but gave the information
straight from my memory.
From your information I think it is save to say that the third version "F" with databus contacts
also has the twin blue lines.

Note: A full conversion kit also contained the striping.
The only way to find out it concerns a converted lens is the lens number.
Provided the conversion with Jürgens lens is succesfull the lens will
be dated 1976. That is long before any FE lens was available.

Jürgen,

I did not have any plans with this lensbody yet.
It is stored with a number of other lenses that belong to the best ever available.
Absolutely no distorsion, no sferic or chromatic aberation
and ultra fast.
That is what you get when you remove all glass elements.

Paul

I got a phonecall from CARL ZEISS today .

My SONNAR F2,8/150 is built in 1976 and was delivered to a dealer in 1980 .
The defective aperture unit , can not be replace nor repaired .
They send the lens back to me . I do not have to pay for the cost estimate .
No other offer was made , but it was mentioned that the lens is already 30 years old .
I knew that myself .

Jürgen

Juergen,

Looks like CZ does not believe that life starts at 40? ;-) Time to contact Paul about this lens it seems.

Wilko

Wilko,
that the aperture does not work is quite easy to see from the outside. Question is whether they took the time to open it and analyze the fault. If a (not available) spare part is needed or if the lens just needs cleaning and lubricating.

Ulrik

Hi Ulrik,

I think it is quite possible they looked up the serial number of the lens, stared hard at their spares stock and decided that opening the lens was not worth the trouble. Given that they did not have spare parts for it.

Like you say, if it is just a matter of cleaning etc spares or not is not an issue. But maybe CZ for lenses of this age by definition opts for replacement? For a lens that has seen a lot of use in 30 years this makes sense of course. One that lived mostly-unused in a camera bag is unlikely to need a new aperture due to wear I would think.

Wilko

Hi Wilko,

> One that lived mostly-unused in a camera > bag is unlikely to need a new aperture due to wear I would think.

Though that sounds logical, sitting/nonuse can make things stick...and when they are used, the sticking can cause something to break.

Regards,

Austin

Jurgen:

I hope Hasselblad can repair your lens. I guess they are making too much money these days. With so many old lenses out there and they do speak highly of their repair department, you would think they would produce some parts but, I guess the throw away mentality of today prevents such endeavors.

Better Luck:

Gilbert

Hasselblad has cleared most slow moving parts for older equipment.
If Jürgens 150 F lens needs new parts it is likely that Hasselblad will give the same answer CZ has given: no repair possible because the parts are no longer available.

Back