Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hasselblad NC-2

CarstenW

Has anyone used this viewfinder, and can describe it a bit? I am wondering if it is dark or bright, and how ease of focus is in general.

Nc 2

This is the oldest 45° prism.
Age may predict that it could do with a good clean up job.
That makes the image much clearer. It is a rather heavy item.
This results in a different balance for the camera.

You can pick up nice looking ones for about 75 euro.
Excellent ones are 100-150 euro.

This is the oldest 45° prism.
Age may predict that it could do with a good clean up job.
That makes the image much clearer. It is a rather heavy item.
This results in a different balance for the camera.

You can pick up nice looking ones for about 75 euro.
Excellent ones are 100-150 euro.

How is focusing with it? Would you say that it is a good match for, say, a 2000FCW and a 110/2, for either portraits, or more technical details?

It solves the left/right reversal thing of course.
Given you find a good one with clean elements the focusing is just as easy as with a WLF.

Most older prism have a film of dirt on the glass elements that makes you loose brightness.
A good CLA and maybe a paint job will solve this.
The paintjob does not improve the image but makes a well used prism with lots of paint loss look better.

Quite a number of these prisms look tatty because they lost so much black paint.

It solves the left/right reversal thing of course.
Given you find a good one with clean elements the focusing is just as easy as with a WLF.

Most older prism have a film of dirt on the glass elements that makes you loose brightness.
A good CLA and maybe a paint job will solve this.
The paintjob does not improve the image but makes a well used prism with lots of paint loss look better.

Quite a number of these prisms look tatty because they lost so much black paint.

Thanks, that's very helpful. As you know, I am planning the purchase of a 2000FCW, and have vague memories of difficult focusing with a 500C. I kinda wanted a second way of working than the WLF with the loupe, and saw these on eBay. Do you know what a CLA costs?

No!
I have both the NC-2 and PME 45 on the my 2000FCW and 110 F/2 combo.
There is no comparison!

So you find the PME45 brighter and/or more contrasty for manual focus? Hmm, maybe I should see if I could test each, although they are kinda hard to find in shops these days.

There is a huge price difference though. The NC-2 I can probably find in good shape for around 100 Euro, whereas the PME 45 costs over 1000 Euro. Is the PM 45 as good as the PME 45, apart from metering? What is a good price for a PM 45? (are they always black?)

So you find the PME45 brighter and/or more contrasty for manual focus? Hmm, maybe I should see if I could test each, although they are kinda hard to find in shops these days.

There is a huge price difference though. The NC-2 I can probably find in good shape for around 100 Euro, whereas the PME 45 costs over 1000 Euro. Is the PM 45 as good as the PME 45, apart from metering? What is a good price for a PM 45? (are they always black?)

I have both and optically they look the same to me. B&H has two used PM 45 for $378 and ~ $450. The used PME-45 seem to have gone from the used market. A few years ago, when I bought mine from KEH, they were several for sale. Ebay prices for PME-45 are $1,800-$2,000...Yikes¡¡¡¡

Steve

Optically all 45° prisms are the same.
Any difference noted will be due to differences between various models that probably need a CLA.

A good CLA with paint job for a NC2 will cost 30-50 Euro.
Why not shop for a younger model that is likely to be in better condition anyway.
After the NC2 Hasselblad supplied PM3/5/51 all 45° prisms.
The last in the line is the PM 45. That is also the most expensive one.
All PM models are also available with metering system.

Keep an eye on the classified section.
I am about to offer a good NC2 and an PME3 in nice condition.

Paul

Optically all 45° prisms are the same.
Any difference noted will be due to differences between various models that probably need a CLA.
(...)
After the NC2 Hasselblad supplied PM3/5/51 all 45° prisms.
The last in the line is the PM 45. That is also the most expensive one.
All PM models are also available with metering system.

You mean that a clean copy of the NC-2 is just as bright as all the others, right up to the PME45? Why did they make so many different models then? Do any of them have chrome trim to match a chrome body?

(My Wildi is forever on the way. I wonder why it isn't here yet.)

Sorry hit the wrong button, did not want to edit your post of course.

You mean that a clean copy of the NC-2 is just as bright as all the others, right up to the PME45? Why did they make so many different models then? Do any of them have chrome trim to match a chrome body?

(My Wildi is forever on the way. I wonder why it isn't here yet.)

My Wildi, in German 4th edition, will be available soon.

Yes these prisms will all deliver the same bright image as long as they are in good condition.
The NC2 was made by Novoflex for Hasselblad. That prism did not allow metering.
The first metering prism (52051) is slow and not very acurate.
It is a big lump.

Better get a PM style prism if metering is your wish.
Later prisms were made by Hasselblad.

A black prism looks great on either a black or a chrome body.
The 2000FCW you are after is a black body in near mint condition......

Paul

I decided to compare the viewfinders again after reading these posts. What I didn't realize in my first comparison between my 500CM and 2000FCW was the latter had an acute matte screen.

The NC-2 100 (I believe that what mine is) seems as bright (although less magn.) than the PME 45.

Anyone interested in buying mine?

Thanks

The PM(E) 45 has a built in facility to adjust the viewer to the users eyesight.
The range can even be expanded by switching the lens in the oculair.

For that pleasure you pay an extra 300-400 euro in case you are considering the PM 45.
Older prisms can be adapted by changing the lens in the oculair.

Of course the PME 45 can not be compared with older metering prisms.
The PME 45 offers lightmetering, reflective metering and selective metering often referred to as spot metering.

The NC2-100 is often mistaken for a standard NC2.
The difference is hard to tell without having both available to compare.
The NC2-100 is quite rare.

The PM(E) 45 has a built in facility to adjust the viewer to the users eyesight.
The range can even be expanded by switching the lens in the oculair.

For that pleasure you pay an extra 300-400 euro in case you are considering the PM 45.

Actually, I find the NC-2 very appealing; the PM45 less so. The latter looks a bit like a Frankenfinder to me, whereas the former is quite elegant (if heavy). I was interested in the PM45 primarily because I thought the NC-2 was darker. By the way, the PM45 does not have to be expensive: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190279436391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009 (PM45 on eBay for 194 Euro with no bids yet). Of course, the real test is what it will sell for, but I have seen others on eBay for around the same price, as well as in stores. 200-300 Euro seems doable.

The NC2-100 is often mistaken for a standard NC2.
The difference is hard to tell without having both available to compare.
The NC2-100 is quite rare.

So, what is the difference?

Golden opportunities

It seems there are a lot of opportunities now to buy gear at friendly prices.
Of course the PM 45 has two more days to go. :(

I just found a 250 Super Achromat in good condition under 1000 euro. That is the first one I have seen for this kind of money.

The difference between the NC 2 and the NC 2-100 is the way the "neck" is shaped where the lens is fitted.
The NC 2-100 makes room for the polaroid back that sticks out at the top.
You can overcome this problem and use the NC2 with an NPC Pola back.
That back protrudes from the bottom end of the camera and is flush with the top.

I have both the NC2 and the NC2-100 but right now I am just too lazy
to go to my camera cupboard and take the NC2-100 out of the box.
:uhoh:

I just found a 250 Super Achromat in good condition under 1000 euro. That is the first one I have seen for this kind of money.

Did you pick up the black C250SA on eBay in britain that I was watching out of interest? I was curious to see where that was going. One day I want a CF250SA. I am less fond of the earlier and later models.

250sa

Yes I am the lucky bidder on that lens.
Mind you I was the only bidder as well. :)

Finding a good SA lens is not easy. Finding a good SA lens for a good price is almost impossible.
The next thing to this lens was a 250 SA CF in not very good condition.
Asking price for that one was 2650 euro.
I would not have that one for 1500 because it had been treated quite badly.

Lets see what my 250 SA looks like when it arrives here.
There is a brand new bayonet front ring waiting for that lens.
It is the only thing that shows some use as far as I can judge from the pictures.

How do you manage to have a British eBay account? Neat trick.

C

Yes I am the lucky bidder on that lens.
Mind you I was the only bidder as well. :)

Finding a good SA lens is not easy. Finding a good SA lens for a good price is almost impossible.
The next thing to this lens was a 250 SA CF in not very good condition.
Asking price for that one was 2650 euro.
I would not have that one for 1500 because it had been treated quite badly.

Lets see what my 250 SA looks like when it arrives here.
There is a brand new bayonet front ring waiting for that lens.
It is the only thing that shows some use as far as I can judge from the pictures.

How do you manage to have a British eBay account? Neat trick.

C

What would you need a British eBay account for? eBay accounts work world-wide, I regularly work on eBay.de and eBay.co.uk, as well as eBay.com

The only trick is to make sure the seller accepts foreign bidders/is willing to ship to you. Never had problems with that, just ask politely if needed.

Wilko

Back