Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Changes Coming Hold on to your seat

Simon

I placed an order at my dealer for 20 KODAK E100VS 120 films today .
There are none in stock . Deliverytime 2 to 3 weeks .
Did you buy all these films
uhoh.gif

Regards Jürgen

Jurgen:

Please don't blame Simon, I have been using it since it was introduced and have made more than one purchase.

I hope there is some left, now that I think about it I need some more! I'll have to call for some more tomorrow!

Thanks for reminding me!

Regards:

Gilbert

Isidor

Yes I do , because I do not trust that flipping thing (CFV) anymore .
If your mechanical gear fails , you notice right away .
If your CFV fails , you might eventually notice , but in many cases you will only discover that later . All of your work might be lost or can not be recovered .
z04_head_wall.gif

Regards Jürgen

Hi Jurgen,

What problems are you having with your CFV? You should expect flawless operation from it, and anything less should get you your money back (or a new one), no questions asked. This doesn't sound right...

I was at a baseball game last Sunday (RedSox) and had my EOS1V with me. I had to change film, and got an audience in doing so...many oos and ahs and questions about it. It was kind of funny. People just assumed it was a digital camera.

Regards,

Austin

Austin

This is no whining or complaining , just a feeling . After my replaced CFV came back from a repair , I checked it and it works . But I just don't trust it any more .
In the meantime , I repeated my shooting for the junk yard calendar with film , and everything worked out fine .
So I got used to film again , and I must say : My name is Jürgen and I like film .

As I did want to know what went wrong with my CFV , "I opened the BACK and found the following" .

33788.jpg

So I closed it again immediately . No wonder .
happy.gif

Regards Jürgen

Hmm, that picture reminds me of the fact that Hasselblad still has not
volunteered a CFV for my 'Naked Blad' project/web page..

Wilko
z04_975.gif

Ah!
There's your problem!

The little red wire center right should connect to the left green one lower middle left. Not the black one lower left center middle.

The fat blue one lower left should have been a shade more towards the grey too.

So get out a pair of pliers, a soldering iron, and a tape of your favourite 1920s movie, and have a good time fixing your back, and with it your confidence in it performing the way it should in particular, and faith in humanity in general.

Good to see the bit of concrete is still sitting firmly (Yes, it is where the firmware resides) where it should.
I say! Solid piece of engineering, what!?

Q.G.

I think we should address your precise analysis to the HASSELBLAD people in Copenhagen .
wink.gif

Regards Jürgen

Indeed!

I believe a definitive formal report and all attendant semantics with complete recommendations is required.

By Monday.

Regards:

Gilbert

I've shown the circuitry of the CFV back to my brother, the electronics engineer.

He confirms the little grey item in the lower right quadrant is the tilt sensor.

No, no. That's the firmware, i keep telling you...!

The tilt sensor is the thingy that looks like an open tube middle right left center. You had the colour right, though.
It houses a little ball (made by that other famous swedish factory, SKF), that should not drop out of either open end.
The orientation shown in the picture, i.e. slightly tilted, is the original one: during beta-testing, it proofed that the ball dropping out made a rather disturbing noise (intentionally, the making of a noise, else you would not know the ball had dropped: no mass shouting and switching on of lights), a ping, too much like the bell on an ice cream van.

Disturbing, not because it was too intrusive, but because it made the testers crave frozen sweets, and it did nothing to help curb the obesity problem. You can die from that, you know!

So they made the ball drop out before it would reach customers. They planned to have it do so after assembly (after all, they do care a lot about the well being of their employees), and to help that happening, they plugged both ends with axle grease. (They tried ice cream first - toffee apple flavoured - but found that caused a sharp drop in the the company restaurant's ice cream sales, a rapid growth of the waist circumference of workers at the tilt sensor assembly station, and inexplicably high costs. Also, it did not smell as nice as axle grease.)

Another problem with the original design, of course, was that you had to open the back to put the ball back in the tube again.
As such, not a big problem. But again, beta testing showed that too many testers mistook the firmware box for the tilt sensor (so you can be excused: it is not your fault. It's a design flaw).

The problem with Jürgen's back was that the axle grease worked too good, or not good enough.
The back probably was an early one, made not long after they stopped using ice cream, while the assembly station was still heating up again, or possibly even still set to ice-cream-plug conditions. The grease must have hardened, only allowing the sensor to work after the back was sold.

G'Day QG:

I think that last response of yours needs to be in 'classified'.

'Classifiable' for sure.

And give up the mushrooms.

z04_troest.gif

Cheers, Colin

Back