Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

CFV Shutter speed confusion - Help again!

Hi again. I'd like to get in one more question this evening, and this one concerns the CFV settings for shutter speeds.
The system shows "<1/8sec," which means "less than 1/8 sec," I know. However, I'm confused as to whether "LESS" mean slower or faster than 1/8 sec? I would presume that it means "faster" than 1/8, ie, from 1/15 thru 1/500. However, I've shot indoors on this setting as slow as 1/2 sec with no problems.
And if it means "slower," why bother to have all the additional incremental speeds from 1/4 down to 32 sec?
So I'm really confused here!
Michael H. Cothran

Michael

<1/8 sec means smaller (shorter) than 1/8 sec . That is 1/15 up to 1/500 for the 500 V-Serie cameras .
Even your indoor shots worked fine , I would always use the correct setting on the CFV BACK . The different settings are to properly synchronize the CFV BACK to the shutter speed .

Jürgen

Someone told me about using a sync cord instead of changing the settings inside the CFV, but did not go into any further detail. Jurgen - do you , or anyone else reading know anything about using a sync cord? I presume they're speaking of the PC flash sync cord bundled with the back.
Does it eliminate having to change settings?
I often shoot in lighting where I am in the neighborhood of 1/8 sec, and can fluctuate from one side of it to the other quickly. I don't want to watch the last light of the day fade away while I'm fiddling with CFV settings. Same thing if I'm bracketing 4-5 shots slower than 1/8 sec. I don't want to have to go back into the depths of the CFV menu between each and every shot. That's a little too much, if there's a way around it.
Michael

Michael

I have no experience with longtime exposures (longer than 1 sec) but in the users guide it says under the Flash Sync setting:

For use with non modified 200 series models (together with C-lenses in C-mode) an ARCBODY , a FLEXBODY or a View Camera with a HASSELBLAD adapter:
a) Make a Flash Sync setting .
b) The Flash Sync input cable (supplied) should be connected to the Flash sync in terminal . (the flash sync cable supplied , is the short curled cable)
All exposure times , including the B setting , function correctly without having to alter the "Exposure Time Setting" .

I hope this helps .

Regards Jürgen

Jurgen,
Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I would much prefer to use the sync cord, as opposed to diving into the depths of the menu to continually change the settings as I'm shooting.
Thanks so much.
Michael

Back