Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Wider lenses for HTS 1.5 Tilt Shift adapter?

cbobfoto

Hey Paul (or anyone else),
The HTS Tilt Shift adapter looks cool, especially for people shooting product / table top etc. With a 1.5 magnification of the chosen lens's focal length though, it's somewhat limited for those shooting architecture, especially interiors. The widest lens available for any Hasselblad H camera is 28mm, which is equivalent to approximately a 20mm on a 35mm; at 1.5x it's about a 30mm on a 35. Any idea if Hasselblad has any plans to release a wider lens for the HTS?

The HTS Tilt Shift adapter looks cool, especially for people shooting product / table top etc. With a 1.5 magnification of the chosen lens's focal length though, it's somewhat limited for those shooting architecture, especially interiors. The widest lens available for any Hasselblad H camera is 28mm, which is equivalent to approximately a 20mm on a 35mm; at 1.5x it's about a 30mm on a 35. Any idea if Hasselblad has any plans to release a wider lens for the HTS?

To my knowledge Hasselblad is not working on wider lens then the 28mm.
If you have a suggestion for a focal lenght and angle of view, i will pass it on to Product management in Sweden.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

I think the HTS is a nice addition for tabletop and some less wide applications ... but for wide work it just seems a tech camera is the way to go. Schneider and Rodenstock make some pretty wide optics that are APO and have no X factor at all ... DAC isn't needed for these lenses as they are highly corrected view lenses (my Schneider 28/2.8 APO Digitar will cut your eyes it's so sharp ; -) Vignetting can rear it's head, but that's the easiest compensation to make in post and can be pretty much eliminated with a center filter.

Hts

Worth noting that if you stitch with the HTS and 28mm you'll get an image about 30% wider than the 28mm alone.
Nick-T

OK

I hadn't considered the stitch option, but definitely a good thought there. No doubt a tech / pancake view camera is the best option for wide applications. A friend of mine; an architectural photographer recently invested in an Alpa system, P45+ and an arsenal of Schneider & Rodenstock lenses. At this early stage of digital view camera solutions, arguably the best system out there, though clearly not a bargain at $100k. I haven’t used such a system, but as he describes, it’s significantly slower than working with the HTS, even if it does yield greater range of image corrections. The task of setting up the camera, viewing the ground glass / fresnel lens with a small loupe, removing the ground glass, replacing the digital back, shooting a test frame & confirming the composition on the monitor, again removing the digital back, replacing with the ground-glass / loupe to critically focus, replacing the digital back again, all the while being careful not to smash the lens's rear element into the CCD, etc. After a few shoots, perhaps it eventually becomes a speedy as the days of shooting with an old view camera, polaroid & film backs. Hasselblad has obviously spent a lot of money in R&D on the HTS, and utilization of DAC, and new 28mm lens, seems they’re about 80% toward a viable, faster and more cost effective alternative to a digital view camera. If they could release a couple more wide lenses; one that would yield approx 70º angle of view with the HTS and the other perhaps 80-85º angle of view, they’d surely begin to attract a new segment of the market.

Back