Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Which adaptor for Hassy lenses to Contax 645?

Josef Isayo

What are high quality adaptors available?
I'm interested in mounting my FE 110 F/2 lens to my Contax 645.
I see prices from $65-$850.

Also notices Adorama selling one for $89.
Any info would be appreciate it.

Thanks!!

What are high quality adaptors available?
I'm interested in mounting my FE 110 F/2 lens to my Contax 645.
I see prices from $65-$850.

Also notices Adorama selling one for $89.
Any info would be appreciate it.

Thanks!!

I have hear-say evidence that the cheap ones on eBay are problematic for that lens/body combination with infinity focus, but that the fotodiox adapter should be okay. I have ordered one, for the same reason, but it didn't arrive yet.

There are several manufacturers that made the Hasselblad optics to Contax 645 body adapter.Zorkendorfer of Munich (Zork.de), Novoflex. Kindai Mechanics, the original Contax MAM-1 adapter, FotoDiox adapter, various 3rd Party vendor from Japan and Europe.

The best one would be the Contax MAM-1, Novoflex, Zoerf, and Fotodiox. Make sure that you can focus to Infinity with out any problem. I personally use the MAM-1 adpater on my Contax 645. In addition, there is also the Pentacon 6 to COntax 645 adpater that allows the use of the Pentacon 6 optics and Schneider optics from the Exakta 66 system. You can also use the Ukrainian/Russian Kiev 60 optics too.

Zoerkendorfer makes a cross platform adapter that allows the use of Mamiya 645 optics on the Contax 645 body.

Evan
[FONT=Arial,geneva,helvetica,serif][/FONT]

(also posted in the 200/2000 thread)

The Fotodiox adapter arrived, and although I don't have a DB for my Contax 645, it appears to work well at all distances, except that looking far away, I think it may not reach infinity. Even just looking across the courtyard, the bricks are visibly not as sharp as closer, in the viewfinder. This won't be a big deal for me with the 110/2, since I plan to use it close up, but if I do end up picking up a 50/2.8, then I suppose I will have to get a better adapter...

Carsten,

Which focusing screen do you have in your Contax 645? The original matte ground glass, or the split image screen, or the gridline screen?

I have all 3 versions (bought them whenever they pop up on EBay) and use the split image mainly for my 3rd party optics. The original Contax MAM-1 adapter will bring you as close IF NOT right up to Infinity. That is how I determine if the adapter has the correct Infinity setting. The Pentacon 6 to Contax 645 adapter goes slightly beyond Infinity and then for some others doesn't quite make Infinity focusing.

If you are able to test it out prior to buying it or have a retrun policy, why not try Zorkendorfer or Novoflex since both are quality German products?

There is also the Japanese adapter made by Kindai. You might be able to locate them on EBay. In this case it might be better to deal directly with Zorkendorfer and Novoflex.

Evan

How accurate are these adaptors shot wide open, and the closest focusing distance of a fast lens?
This is a lot more important to me than shooting infinity.

Josef,

As far as I know, I did not have any problems shooting Wide Open with the MAM-1 Adapter. I am not sure as to how the Contax mam-1 adapter affects each individual lenses in regards to its closest focusing distance. I will try to locate the manual that came with MAM-1 to see if their was a "factor" involved with the lenses used. I recall that someone mentioned to me about lost of contrast with his MAM-1 adapter, something that I do not have much experience with. I tend to use the original Contax 645 optics for its AF over manual setting of the 3rd Party lenses. Sorry if my answer was not conclusive enough to answer your question.

Josef,

Quoting form the MAM-1 instruction manual:

" Regarding metering system, you can only use center-weighted average light metering.

SPOT METERING IS NOT USABLE.
Set the desired aperature at the lens and select either aperature-priority mode (Av) or manual exposure (M) as the exposure mode at the camera. (Stop-down metering is used.)"

"Because of differences in the mounting-systems there may be slight changes in exposures depending on the characteristics of the lens. We recommend test shootings before use."

Hope this will be of some help for you. Again, I would recommend either the Zorkendorfer, Novoflex, Kindai, or the original COntax MAM-1 adapter.

Which focusing screen do you have in your Contax 645? The original matte ground glass, or the split image screen, or the gridline screen?

The original screen so far.

I have all 3 versions (bought them whenever they pop up on EBay) and use the split image mainly for my 3rd party optics. The original Contax MAM-1 adapter will bring you as close IF NOT right up to Infinity. That is how I determine if the adapter has the correct Infinity setting. The Pentacon 6 to Contax 645 adapter goes slightly beyond Infinity and then for some others doesn't quite make Infinity focusing.

Since the adapter is just a fixed-thickness spacer, if you have lenses which reach and others which don't reach infinity, then you have lenses which are out of adjustment. Do you have any nice, modern, high-quality Hasselblad lenses or something like that? I would expect that they are okay.

If you are able to test it out prior to buying it or have a retrun policy, why not try Zorkendorfer or Novoflex since both are quality German products?

As I mentioned, I won't need infinity focus with this particular lens, and the adapter was cheap, so I will leave it for now. If I do buy the 50/2.8FE, then I will need a good one, and will try either the MAM-1, Zork, or Novoflex.

Carsten,

I have just the original Contax MAM-1 adapter and have not had any problem with all of my original Hasselblad lenses. That would also include the 3rd party that I bought adapted for the Hasselblad 2000/200. I have used those lenses (Hartlei PCS 65mm & CZJ 180mm PreSet Olympia) without any focus issue on my 2000/200 series bodies.

One of my friend who borrow a Contax 645 system to test ou a Kodak DCS digital back, ran a gamut of optic tests using a Japanese Hasselblad to Contax 645 adapter (Not Kindai) and also a Hartblei/Pentacon 6 to Contax 645 adapter.

In his borrowed Contax 645 body it had the original matte screen, and he was unable to obtain Infinity focusing with just the Pentacon adapter. The Hasselblad to Contax 645 adapter, he had no problem reaching Infinity and the Zeiss lenses were all fantastic performer.

Because of the Split Image screen that I have in my Contax 645, I found that my Hartblei/Pentacon 6 to Contax 645 adapter was focusing abit beyond Infinity, which is better then not reaching Infinity.

Since you plan to use your Zeiss 110mm lens for portraits, I guess that it wouldn't matter much if you didn't reach Infinity. Otherwise, enjoy the 110mm as it is a fantastic lens. The 50mmF2.8 FE is also another fantastic lens too.

Back