Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm v. III in-depth review on the Hasselblad X1D

Vieri Bottazzini

Ladies & gentlemen, I just published my in-depth review of the little great Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm v. III on the Hasselblad X1D! Especially given the lack of native ultra-wide angle options in the medium format world, this lens is a great option to have if you enjoy ultra-wide on medium format - albeit with some caveats, of course.

Read what I thought about it here:

https://www.vieribottazzini.com/202...mm-in-depth-review-on-the-hasselblad-x1d.html

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments. Best regards,

Vieri

Hi Vieri,

great review!. I did not know that these results would be possible with a non-medium format lens on MF.

13mm wideangle is unbelievable wide for Medium Format. I also did not know that Hasselblad is the only one with a 21mm wideangle (native) Medium Format lens.

You need to show more of your images here, so that others are inspired and see that even today it is worth it to invest im Medium Format.

Hi Vieri,

great review!. I did not know that these results would be possible with a non-medium format lens on MF.

13mm wideangle is unbelievable wide for Medium Format. I also did not know that Hasselblad is the only one with a 21mm wideangle (native) Medium Format lens.

You need to show more of your images here, so that others are inspired and see that even today it is worth it to invest im Medium Format.

Thank you very much Dirk, glad you enjoyed it. The lens is actually 15mm, not 13mm, and yes Hasselblad is the only one with a 21mm - I actually thought you already knew that, running a MF forum and all ;)

Best regards,

Vieri

Ladies & gentlemen, I just published my in-depth review of the little great Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm v. III on the Hasselblad X1D! Especially given the lack of native ultra-wide angle options in the medium format world, this lens is a great option to have if you enjoy ultra-wide on medium format - albeit with some caveats, of course.

Read what I thought about it here:

https://www.vieribottazzini.com/202...mm-in-depth-review-on-the-hasselblad-x1d.html

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments. Best regards,

Vieri
Do you cut the hood of the 15mm????

Impressive. Great review and excellent results. I use the Fuji GFX50r rather than the Hasselblad and, even on 35mm, I tend not to shoot super-wide. I had an Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 (which, at the time, I was also using on the OM film system) and K&F OM to GFX adapter, and had some "okay" results but which required cropping due to some fairly heavy-duty vignetting. At the time I was looking to crop these in the Fuji TX1 / XPan aspect ratio. I might see if I still have any of the files left and see if I can post one.

However, I'm liking the results from that Voigtlander but not sure if there's an LM to GFX adapter out there or, as much as I like the super-wide "look", whether I'd use such a lens sufficiently regularly to justify the cost. I will look into this, though, as I also have the Fuji XF system and the Voigtlander might also be a useful option on that.

Impressive. Great review and excellent results. I use the Fuji GFX50r rather than the Hasselblad and, even on 35mm, I tend not to shoot super-wide. I had an Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 (which, at the time, I was also using on the OM film system) and K&F OM to GFX adapter, and had some "okay" results but which required cropping due to some fairly heavy-duty vignetting. At the time I was looking to crop these in the Fuji TX1 / XPan aspect ratio. I might see if I still have any of the files left and see if I can post one.

However, I'm liking the results from that Voigtlander but not sure if there's an LM to GFX adapter out there or, as much as I like the super-wide "look", whether I'd use such a lens sufficiently regularly to justify the cost. I will look into this, though, as I also have the Fuji XF system and the Voigtlander might also be a useful option on that.

Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed the review :) About your questions, I am pretty sure there is a Fotodiox adapter and a Novoflex one as well. About use vs cost, only you can know if the lens is worth, but on the plus side the Voigt 15mm can be had for 800 US at B&H, not a bank-breaking investment for us Medium Format users ;) And, as you perfectly put, you can use it on your APS-C Fujis as well.

Best regards,

Vieri

After reading your review and in anticipation of purchasing the upgraded 907x, I purchased a mint Voigtländer 15mm iii this week. Thanks, Vieri.

I had an earlier version and used it frequently on Leica M’s, so no question on its useability.

After reading your review and in anticipation of purchasing the upgraded 907x, I purchased a mint Voigtländer 15mm iii this week. Thanks, Vieri.

I had an earlier version and used it frequently on Leica M’s, so no question on its useability.
You are very welcome, I am glad my review helped you making your decision. Enjoy the V15!

Best regards,

Vieri

Back