Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Value of this set

darkgoob

Hi-

I'm trying to find out what this Hasseblad set would be worth. It belongs to a customer whose husband died and left it to her. She says he only used it once. It appears to be in near-mint condition and has the original documentation and certificate of authenticity. The lenses are all in the clear plastic cone-shaped cases and it was stored in an aluminum case. There's no scratches on any of it.

I did a search on eBay and it looks like this stuff usually goes for around $1000 for a set like this, I just want to confirm that is accurate. Thanks for any information.

Here's the information on it:
500C body
(certificate of authenticity says purchase date of Dec. 16, 1963)
Chrome Sonnar 1:5,6 f=250mm Synchro-Compur
Chrome Sonnar 1:1,4 f=60mm
what appears to be a chrome extension tube for the 250mm?
Some filters:
* Carl Zeiss Proxar f=1m
* Carl Zeiss Proxar f=0,5m
* Hasselblad-Y 1,5-50
* Hasselblad 50
Original manual from 1964.

-=DG=-

41660.jpg

41661.jpg

41662.jpg

41663.jpg

DG

I have posted the same reply to you on photo.net as well. This set is worth way more than $1,000, and if you only get that you are failing your client. Early 60s Hasselblad kit is now very collectible if in fine condition, which this evidently is. The individual items totalled up here in the UK would fetch at least 1,350 GBP to 1,500 GBP, probably more as a set like this, so you should expect $3,000 USD or better. Wonderful, what a find.

John

Not only is the price to low, your text listing is not correct.

It appears there are 3 lenses, including an 80/2.8 which you didn't mention, 2 film backs and
mint lens hoods. The 60mm is not a f/1.4.

Does the case have an Hasselblad identification on it?

The price depends very much on the working condition. Even mint or unused items may have defects. In fact it is very likely that all the lenses, backs and the camera body need an extensive CLA to come back to working condition. After that this is indeed a phantastic kit. If you dicide to offer the 60 mm-lens please drop me a note.

Ulrik

No, it's not a Hasselblad case. Which is a pity, that would be the icing on the cake! DG, I would not be tempted to split the set up before trying to sell it as a whole. Certain items might sell quickly as individual pieces, but then you could be left with other parts of the kit which would be more difficult to sell alone. The value of this set lies in its historic completeness as a pristine ex&le of a Hasselblad 500 kit from the "Golden Era", when Victor was at the helm and Hasselblad quality was unsurpassed. The only thing missing is the 150mm Sonnar.

John

Any guess to its value is just a guess as long as it is not possible to inspect the things on offer.

Average price for this set in used condition would be 1300-1500 USD.
There are three lenses 60/4 only available 1962 and 1963 rare, an 80/2.8 7 elements, and a 250/5.6
A 500C body and two filmbacks.

If this concerns equipment in new or as new condition the price may be 2 to 3 times higher.
If you consider offering this set on eBay the problem will be to describe it correctly to convince bidders of the exceptional condition.
Lots of detailed pictures will help.

Selling as a complete kit may not give the best result.

Thanks for all the info guys! So I guess this would be a correct revised list:

500C body
(certificate of authenticity says purchase date of Dec. 16, 1963)
Chrome Sonnar 1:5,6 f=250mm Synchro-Compur
Chrome Sonnar 1:4 f=60mm
Chrome Sonnar 1:2,8 f=80mm (7 elements)
Some filters:
* Carl Zeiss Proxar f=1m
* Carl Zeiss Proxar f=0,5m
* Hasselblad-Y 1,5-50
* Hasselblad 50
Two film backs
Original manual from 1964.

If anyone sees a mistake in that please let me know.

But, yeah, just from having had one look at it, I felt like it must be fairly minty. It's original-owner, used once supposedly.

Thanks for all the help. I'll post here if it goes up for sale, or what not.

Dear Jon,

You might like to describe the 2 film backs in greater detail - perhaps one is 6x6 and the other is 4.5x6.

Cheers

Back