Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

V system lens on Nikon D850

I’ve recently acquired a D850 and all my old lens from my Nikon F days seem to work on it.
Question is has anyone used hasselblad lens via a step down adapter?
eBay has a ring that does the job but would it be fun?
I have c 40, 80, 120 and cf 40, 50, 80, 100.
Any thoughts
Steve.

I have never seen someone trying this, but I would guess that older Hasselblad lenses would not give great results with such a high MP count sensor, since the enlargement factor to print at specific sizes would be siginicant higher for these lenses compared to what they were designed for.

At the end of the day, with such a solution you crop first like with a magnification glass and than you have to enlargen that crop image to get the same output size.

This is a very demanding resolving power you expect from older MF lenses to be able to get as good results as with modern 35mm lenses, which were designed to be enlargened that much for the final output size.

I think Zeiss published in the 70ies or 80ies an article about this. The buttom line was, that (analogue) MF lenses have less resolving power than 35mm analogue lenses by purpose, because they do not need to be enlargened that often to get the same print size. There was something like a factor of 1.6x between 35mm and MF (6x6)

I have never seen someone trying this, but I would guess that older Hasselblad lenses would not give great results with such a high MP count sensor, since the enlargement factor to print at specific sizes would be siginicant higher for these lenses compared to what they were designed for.

At the end of the day, with such a solution you crop first like with a magnification glass and than you have to enlargen that crop image to get the same output size.

This is a very demanding resolving power you expect from older MF lenses to be able to get as good results as with modern 35mm lenses, which were designed to be enlargened that much for the final output size.

I think Zeiss published in the 70ies or 80ies an article about this. The buttom line was, that (analogue) MF lenses have less resolving power than 35mm analogue lenses by purpose, because they do not need to be enlargened that often to get the same print size. There was something like a factor of 1.6x between 35mm and MF (6x6)
Thanks Dirk. That’s 50 bucks you’ve saved me.

Back