Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

The enduring brilliance of "24x65"

simonpg

Every time I simply pick up my XPan I am reminded of what a brilliant tool it is. Then when I see the image quality, it becomes obvious as to why used prices today are much the same as new prices before the sad day production ceased!

A week ago I had the pleasure of visiting Metung in the Gippsland lakes region of north eastern Victoria. This is about a 4 hour drive from where I live in Melbourne.

Here are a few samples I shot on Fujichrome Sensia 100. They are all hand held and with the 45mm and 90mm lenses wide open (f4). Shutter speed was between 1/30 and 1/45sec. Personally I try never to use 135 format gear handheld below 1/60second (an higher with longer focal lengths of course) due to narcotic medication. But like the Leica M cameras, the solid weight of the XPan does help steady handheld shooting.

As most may have experienced, getting a panorama's horizon level takes some care; but, getting a seascape horizon level is a challenge - seas/lakes/oceans have "swells" that vary their "horizons" - and if there is a sea horizon on one side of the frame, and a land horizon on the other side - wow that can be a big challenge!

The Sensia (a very good film but a little too "cool" for my preferences) was 4 years out of date. I was given it by my local lab for $2 a roll with the promise that he has used Sensia 5+ years old not refrigerated (this was refrigerated) and never seen any adverse effects. He was spot on! He commented that Sensia is arguably the most robust positive film made. Well I certinly do not regret the purchase (it retails for about AU$11.00 here!).

So here are some lake shots.

Attachments

• metung-lakepier-gold-1000.jpg
    EXIF
    metung-lakepier-gold-1000.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 38
  • metung-lakepier-gold-1000.jpg
    EXIF
    metung-lakepier-gold-1000.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 39
  • metung-lakejetty-centreW-10.jpg
    EXIF
    metung-lakejetty-centreW-10.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 35
  • metung-lakejetty-centreW-10.jpg
    EXIF
    metung-lakejetty-centreW-10.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 35
  • metung-lakepier-goldS-1000.jpg
    EXIF
    metung-lakepier-goldS-1000.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 36
  • metung-lakepier-goldS-1000.jpg
    EXIF
    metung-lakepier-goldS-1000.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 37
  • metung-lakepier-pinkW-1000.jpg
    EXIF
    metung-lakepier-pinkW-1000.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 47
  • metung-lakepier-pinkW-1000.jpg
    EXIF
    metung-lakepier-pinkW-1000.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Simon!

Now I have full use of my new 16:9 viewer.
Not only that, these images look like paintings with these colours.

Like you I am not a friend of Sensia 100 for the same reason.
That does not mean these images are less than sensational.

Keep them coming.

Paul

Thanks Kim and Paul. Yes, like Kim, I prefer the bottom right image - the swan makes it! It's like a "sign of life" not just an inanimate object alone. :)

The "painting" is very beautiful. I also love on my wide screen.

Thanks,

Ronald

Every time I simply pick up my XPan I am reminded of what a brilliant tool it is. Then when I see the image quality, it becomes obvious as to why used prices today are much the same as new prices before the sad day production ceased!

A week ago I had the pleasure of visiting Metung in the Gippsland lakes region of north eastern Victoria. This is about a 4 hour drive from where I live in Melbourne.

Here are a few samples I shot on Fujichrome Sensia 100. They are all hand held and with the 45mm and 90mm lenses wide open (f4). Shutter speed was between 1/30 and 1/45sec. Personally I try never to use 135 format gear handheld below 1/60second (an higher with longer focal lengths of course) due to narcotic medication. But like the Leica M cameras, the solid weight of the XPan does help steady handheld shooting.

As most may have experienced, getting a panorama's horizon level takes some care; but, getting a seascape horizon level is a challenge - seas/lakes/oceans have "swells" that vary their "horizons" - and if there is a sea horizon on one side of the frame, and a land horizon on the other side - wow that can be a big challenge!

The Sensia (a very good film but a little too "cool" for my preferences) was 4 years out of date. I was given it by my local lab for $2 a roll with the promise that he has used Sensia 5+ years old not refrigerated (this was refrigerated) and never seen any adverse effects. He was spot on! He commented that Sensia is arguably the most robust positive film made. Well I certinly do not regret the purchase (it retails for about AU$11.00 here!).

So here are some lake shots.

Simon

I like to see that you created an album and that we can see some of your beautiful X-PAN images .
You should know , that you can also add images to your album .:z04_photos:
You know , what that means .

Regards Jürgen

Terrific Simon.

Really fine images. Well done.

I also favour the bottom right, but that doesn't mean any less for the others.

Many thanks Jurgen ....... I do know what that means!! :)

Simon

I like to see that you created an album and that we can see some of your beautiful X-PAN images .
You should know , that you can also add images to your album .:z04_photos:
You know , what that means .

Regards Jürgen

Thank you Bladdered - I agree, it is my favourite too. I think the presence birds helped make it.

Terrific Simon.

Really fine images. Well done.

I also favour the bottom right, but that doesn't mean any less for the others.

Back