Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Slow shutter speed user error?

petebarker

I got a Hassalblad 500c over the summer and have been using it for hand held work - like portraits and fashion.

Today was the first time i used it on a tripod and i think i may have messed up about five rolls of film.

Most (if not all) the photos were shot at around 1 second and it suddenly dawned on me after i took them that if i took my finger off the shutter release while the shutter was still open the secondary cloth shutter would close.

Please tell my I'm wrong i thinking this.

Cheers.

Pete

Pete

When working from a tripod , a good proceedure would be as follows .
Use a cable release , operate the mirror lockup button and release the shutter . Now , before doing anything else , wait for the shutter operation to finish . You can easly hear that .

Jürgen

Pete

When working from a tripod , a good proceedure would be as follows .
Use a cable release , operate the mirror lockup button and release the shutter . Now , before doing anything else , wait for the shutter operation to finish . You can easly hear that .

Jürgen

Cheers for the reply - but am i right in thinking that I messed up the rolls by taking my finger off the release to soon?

Most (if not all) the photos were shot at around 1 second and it suddenly dawned on me after i took them that if i took my finger off the shutter release while the shutter was still open the secondary cloth shutter would close.

Please tell my I'm wrong i thinking this.

Cheers.

Pete

Hi Pete,

You are right in assuming that using the slower shutter speeds requires you to to "hold" the release long enough. Immediately letting go of the release button will result in the auxiliary shutter closing before the main shutter "is done". Which is bad of course. I simply trained myself to hold the release button for (say) 5 seconds regardless of shutter speed selected. That works like charm for me.

Wilko

NB: the auxiliary shutter is not cloth, it has 2 metal doors.

If you were using 1 second at the lens and released the shutter knob on the body immediately after tripping the lens shutter your exposures will have been around 1/4 to 1/8 of a second.

Hasselblad advises to hold the release button longer for any speeds longer than 1/15 of a second.

Like Jürgen said pre release the mirror, use a cable release to avoid disturbing the camera for any speeds slower than 1/15 of a second.

A bit soiled but still valid:

IMG_1531-2.jpg

35 year old owners manual for C lens.

IMG_1532-2.jpg

Still goes, as the auxilary shutter has not changed.

Attachments

• IMG_1531-2.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_1531-2.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1532-2.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_1532-2.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 31
Back