Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Road trip with the 'blads

I will hire a good-natured donkey for my next photo trip into the beautiful algovian moutains . That animal will take me and my Blad's almost everywhere . I know , that takes time . But it does not matter , as i will use long exposure values anyway . :z04_photos: I will not use any flash . Promised .

Jürgen,

That explains why in fact you are still a young man.
Photographers only live during exposures. That makes you at the most 22 years old..... :)

Paul

SWC shooting tethered from my hotel window of downtown San Francisco..just another road trip photo..(I do like the SWC very much
icon7.gif
)

Steve

One Honda colapsed in south of France (XL 500), one other Honda explosed in Holland (XLV 750) and a other Honda (XLV 750) gently die not far from my house. Tree dead Honda in 5 years !

Ever considered a career as test rider with Honda?
You certainly have the qualifications! :lol:

Every time I see Hassy 6x6 images posted here I am reminded why so many of us are so passionate about shooting MF and V series MF in particular.

There is a real 3D, natural and detail rich impression you simply cannot escape - Steve's cityscape is a perfect example. Wherever you allow your eyes to wander through the image you get a feeling of discovery in every little part of the overall image.

We really are privileged to use such equipment. :)

Now all I have to do is wait for the AU$ to get back closer to US$0.80 again so that I can seek out an SWC! :)

"
There is a real 3D, natural and detail rich impression you simply cannot escape"

I am beginning to realize that, also. A "snap-shot" of the Girlfriend, low light, ISO 100..SWC...(She looks pretty good for just having run a marathon in SF.)

Steve

Attachments

• Before the race-2.jpg
    EXIF
    Before the race-2.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Before the race-2.jpg
    EXIF
    Before the race-2.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 81
[/ATTACH]View attachment 512

Lower Antelope Canyon #1-AZ.jpg

Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ.jpg
  • Nikon - Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 8000 ED

Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ (2).jpg[/ATTACH]Hello "V" Shooters--

After seeing Steve and Gary's really nice Antelope Canyon shots, they have inspired me to attempt to post several of my own. The Slot Canyons are one of my favorite areas in the Southwest and there is a wealth of other natural wonders in close proximity to this area. I have managed to shoot the Antelope Canyons both Upper and Lower on five different occasions and each time there seems to be another wonder that I did not see before. Believe me this is not something that you should miss if you are ever in the Southwest USA. The Navajo's have "improved"(now that's questionable) the access to Lower Antelope over the years so that more tourists can view these wonders. On my first trip in 1990 and in 1992 you accessed the Lower Antelope by looping a rope over a stake on the top side and "hand over fist" your way down about 25 ft. to the first level and then did this several times until you had progressed about 100 ft. down into the canyon, with each decent revealing even more wonders. Of course climbing back up was the hardest part. Now they have installed ladders and assigned guides to accompany most visitors. As you can see from my attached pictures, the entrance seems to have been more narrow in 1992 than it is now after looking at Steve's picture. Anyway, if you ever decide to come to Antelope please let me know. I can give you many more locations to search out in the area.

If you can put up with me, I will over time be sending some more photographs from the area.

Don

Attachments

• Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ (2).jpg
    EXIF
    Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ (2).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ.jpg
    EXIF
    Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Lower Antelope Canyon #1-AZ.jpg
    EXIF
    Lower Antelope Canyon #1-AZ.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ (3).jpg
    EXIF
    Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ (3).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ (3).jpg
    EXIF
    Lower Antelope Canyon-AZ (3).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 244
Hi Don,

Thanks for uploading those images.
They certainly deserve more space and since you joined the forum as a member
you are entitled to load them as larger files. :z02_deal:

Maximum is 1200 x 1200 pixels or 585 Kb per image whatever comes first.
Up to 900 pixels wide will leave the lay out of the forum as it is.
Anything wider will move the right margin from the normal position.

Paul

"Road trip with the 'blads" ?

BTW, Anyone use GPS to tag the pictures ?

I got one GPS stuff this summer but I don't know how to manage to show locations on a link. Shame on me.

Thank you Steve and Don to show us the beauty of Antelope Canyons .
I do love the formations and the colors . It must be fantastic to be there .
I would like to print one of your images .

Jürgen

SWC, Death Valley, the "Racetrack"....The park service is not sure of the mechanism of the stones movement.

Steve

Attachments

• Before the race.jpg
    EXIF
    Before the race.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Before the race.jpg
    EXIF
    Before the race.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 58
Thank you Steve and Don to show us the beauty of Antelope Canyons .
I do love the formations and the colors . It must be fantastic to be there .
I would like to print one of your images .

Jürgen

I will be happy to send you raw "data" from Antelope Canyon...It's in the post processing that the colors come out..After driving ~8k kms, I'm heading home and then I'll have some time to pick out some possible images.

Steve

Don and Steve, the samples you have recently posted are just wonderful! Wow! :)

If you have not already told us, can I ask what film you both used?

I will be happy to send you raw "data" from Antelope Canyon...It's in the post processing that the colors come out..After driving ~8k kms, I'm heading home and then I'll have some time to pick out some possible images.

Steve

Steve

Thank you very much for your great offer .
Most images for the calendar project were sent by SendThisFile . The service is free and it works perfect . I will use the the data only for myself . You can trust me .

Regards Jürgen

Jurgen--

The slot canyon images were shot in 1992 on a popular emulsion of the time which was Kodak Gold 100. The first image was shot with a 500 CM and the 50mm CF lens. The next image(one of my favorites done up as a 12 x 16" framed in an 18 x 24" frame) was shot on November 1st with my SWC while I was standing in waist deep water. I remember the date clearly since we had to postpone the climb down into the bowels of the earth due to a rainy Halloween day. As a precaution, do not enter these slot canyons with it raining within 25 miles of the site due to the possibility of flash flooding. Precipitation simply runs off of the Navajo sandstone from miles around and eventually dumps into Lake Powell. The third picture(I titled it "Diamond Head", was shot with my 500 CM using the 80mm CF lens. And the one showing guess who standing in the entry slot was taken by Sam Gainer, one of my photographer friends, using his 500 CM. You should never enter the canyons without a companion. In addition to some treacherous paths there can ocassionally be an encounter with Rattlesnakes. When going to a new canyon or hiking into a new area, we usually use our Page, AZ guide on the first trip. This saves valuable photo time that would be spent searching for the best places. She uses a long walking stick to poke around in the dim corners of the canyon floor to flush out any snakes etc. Actually I have only encountered a snake once in the five trips inside. They say that they fall from above ocassionally.
I will send you a file soon.

Don

Don and Steve, the samples you have recently posted are just wonderful! Wow! :)

If you have not already told us, can I ask what film you both used?

CFV on the SWC..I did shoot some film this trip..the first time in about three years..Haven't had it developed yet.

Steve

Back