Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Question regarding lens Zeiss Planar 80mm

ebenjamins

Hi everyone,

I am new to the board and I would just like to say how happy I am that I have found a place to discuss photography and anything regarding some of the best cameras out there! I recently purchased a used Hasselblad V system and I have a question regarding the lens. It seems that the lens I purchased, a regular Zeiss Planar 80mm is a little different than the one featured in the manual. Minor differences include the color of many of the characters on the lens as well as a slightly different DOF preview button. The main difference though which came to my attention is on the shutter speed ring. To the left of the Bulb settign is a green F. Right next to that is a little Green button. Does anyone know what this function does? Thanks a lot.

Erik

EDIT: sorry guys, I just realized there is a lens forum
blush.gif

Don't worry Erik.

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. You will get huge enjoyment from this great system and lots of creative pleasure from square 6x6 composition.

The Hassy lenses come in different versions, so the diagram my refer to an earlier or later version. You can tell from the full lens "name" eg CF 80mm f2.8 Planar, which is the immediate predecessor to the current CFi or CFE 80mm f2.8 Planar. The Hasselbladusa.com web site has a PDF document you can download that explains the version differences, so I won't go into that here.

The "green" markings and reference to F refers to the fact that this lens can be used on Hassy V series Focal plane shutter cameras - "F" referes to focal plane. So you lens has a shutter setting to enable it to disengage the "in-lens" shutter and be compatible with the camera that has its own in-body focal plane shutter. So your 501 does not require you to engage that shutter setting since it has no focal plane shutter of its own.

By the way, the 80mm Planar is a beautiful lens!

Back