Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Portrait samples

matt335

hi everyone. I finally have scanned some photos to show you here. I shot these on my 503cx with my planar CF 80mm/2.8 lens. I used Ilford 100 Plus on the guy with the old reel to reel recorder. I used Ilford HP4 on the others. I am new to this camera and format and scanning negatives. I find the process similar to the old system and very enjoyable.
regards
Matt.

scan001rd.tif

scan002rd.tif

scan003rd.tif

scan004rd.tif

Attachments

• scan001rd.jpg
    EXIF
    scan001rd.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 144
  • scan002rd.jpg
    EXIF
    scan002rd.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 138
  • scan003rd.jpg
    EXIF
    scan003rd.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 136
  • scan004rd.jpg
    EXIF
    scan004rd.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 145
  • scan001rd.jpg
    EXIF
    scan001rd.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 144
  • scan002rd.jpg
    EXIF
    scan002rd.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 134
  • scan003rd.jpg
    EXIF
    scan003rd.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 129
  • scan004rd.jpg
    EXIF
    scan004rd.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 134
Thanks Ian

He had just told me a lengthy story of how he sat right in that chair when he found out he had just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and he used to sit there daily and contemplate his life and how he would cope etc. He is a well known Jazz musician living here in Australia originally from Scotland. He is am amazing man. He adjusted his musical style to accommodate.

Matt

That's a great story. You certainly captured his contemplative mood.

Portrait photography is something I find really hard, so I don't do it often.

Ian

I enjoy meeting people to photograph them and getting to know them beforehand and developing some trust. It's very fulfilling.

Excellent work Matt!
Your approach pays of.
I like to work that way too.

BTW the old fashioned taprecorder is a world famous Nagra IV.
It is the broadcast version instead of the one used during many decades
to record filmsound as well as location sound for television.
What Hasselblad is for photography is this Nagra for studio and location
sound in motion pictures.
All analogue and killed by bits and bytes.
I own several of these wonderful machines including some earlier models.
It is one of the few pieces of professional gear that was awarded with an Emmy.

Paul

thanks Paul and Ian for your comments. I do love portraiture. I guess because I have less time to head out into the rural country areas. But I plan to alter than soon. I love people and love to capture them as we are talking. It's a challenge and when that trust is built the images start to flow.

Paul, yeah that recorder was explained to me as rare as rocking horse shite! His partner is in the movie business. It reminded me of my father's old Grundig reel to reel machine. I used to plug my guitar directly into it and record sound on sound and when you cranked up the recording volume...presto... instant distortion !

Matt

Hi Matt,

I do not think this beatiful machine is rare at all!
I found three of them at a flea market in Belgium on a Sunday some years ago.
It was part of the kit I used in the sixties and seventies as a sound recordist in my days in the film industry.

I bought all three of them. Getting twelve large batteries on a Sunday cost me almost as much as one recorder.
It turned out 2 were in excellent condition the other one needed a small adjustment and is ok now.
Designed by Mr Kudelski and built in Switzerland they cost a fortune some fourty years ago.

Paul

Apart from the battery issue the Nagra has only one downside: it makes you a frequent visitor to a chiropracticer. They are built like main battle tanks.

But beautifully built, I was the one who did the adjustment on Paul's Nagra, so I had the pleasure of peeking inside. Pure craftsmanship, that unfortunately is getting more and more rare these days.

Wilko

Very good compositions.
I'm just starting to use the square format and I'm still learning to find my way.
These photos give me some inspiration.

Very good compositions.
I'm just starting to use the square format and I'm still learning to find my way.
These photos give me some inspiration.
Thank you. I wish you well. Enjoy the format. Please show your work too for all to enjoy.

Back