Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Phocus

polypal

Just received the following message from my supplier:

"We have had Phocus out for testing in relative closed circles for the past 2 months, and we have tuned the software and corrected a number of bugs. This however does not mean that Phocus is completely bug-free. Please check the read-me file for details and do not use Phocus for the first huge and vitally important production job. "

Just received the following message from my supplier:

"We have had Phocus out for testing in relative closed circles for the past 2 months, and we have tuned the software and corrected a number of bugs. This however does not mean that Phocus is completely bug-free. Please check the read-me file for details and do not use Phocus for the first huge and vitally important production job. "

To be frank, I am a bit surprised that you posted this quote without properly crediting it to the President of Hasselblad!!!

Your post implies that it's a statement by your supplier, when in fact, it's a quote from an introduction to the beta Phocus version by Jack Showalter, president of Hasselblad USA. Here is a link fo the full version:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9308-9341

I'm not here to defend Hasselblad, I will however defend programmers. You think it's difficult being a photographer? Try a day in the life of a programmer: you'd rent/buy/steal a gun and put it in your mouth at 2AM (when the day ends).

Furthermore, it's refreshing to see a company be honest with their beta release of software; most companies are not so forthcoming. Other than the missed deadlines (probably due to over anxious marketing executives or due to financial concerns), Hasselblad has done this software release correctly.

Do the correct thing, please remove this thread, because from everything I've heard, Hasselblad programmers are working very hard at getting Phocus right.

End of rant, have a nice day, be well.

Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

blank.gif

logo_digicare.gif

blank.gif

nm_img3.gif

blank.gif

Welcome to Phocus for Mac We are pleased to release this Demonstration Version of Phocus for open use outside of Hasselblad.

By spending just a brief time to get acquainted with Phocus, it is our belief that you will quickly recognize the ease of use, and modern look and feel. We trust that this together with the Phocus functionality shall position you favorably against the competition.

When checking out Phocus, please notice:
- The ultimate quality of the processed images including corrections for DAC, Color, and Moiré
- "What you see is what you get" quality of the image in the Viewer matching what you see in Photoshop
- The powerful camera controls, including new tools for remote focusing when working tethered
- The workflow flexibility based upon the multitude of GUI layout options
- Metadata including full IPTC Core and GPS coordinates from Hasselblad Global Image Locator linking straight into Google Earth
- Leading edge technology with new Moir=E9 filter working on raw image data

We have had Phocus out for testing in relative closed circles for the past 2 months, and we have tuned the software and corrected a number of bugs. This however does not mean that Phocus is completely bug-free.
Please check the read-me file for details and do not use Phocus for the first huge and vitally important production job. IMPORTANT: Hardware requirements and Compatibility

Please refer to the Phocus manual page 1-2 for details.

To get a copy of Phocus, please download from our ftp site as follows:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

User: PhocusDemo

Password: xxxxxxxxxxx

Installation: simply drag the supplied Phocus application into the Applications folder. Please note that currently you will need to have FlexColor installed on the same Mac in order to have access to the necessary ICC profiles.

At the ftp site you will also find a set of demo image files with GPS coordinates. Try them out with the "Image Map" functionality and Google Earth.
Best regards,

Derek,

This is the complete message as I received it.
Nowhere is to be seen that this testing is done by another company.​

I will always credit those who earned it whether a photographer, make up artist, doorman, waiter whatever.
I do that out of respect for the person who takes his or her job seriously and
contributes to the succes of the job as part of a team.
Treat people the way you would like to be treated yourself and you build a team that can make miracles happen.​

Sorry it is not my fault.
I will certainly mention this at Digicare. You can count on that.
BTW I know Digicare has its own team working on Phocus as well.
That is the reason I did not expect they were showing off work of others.​

Now back to the reason I posted this part of the message.
I am surprised this is the first time I heard Phocus is still in the testing phase.​

I do not use Hasselblad software because I do not use Imacon/Hasselblad digital backs.​

Paul​

ps
I removed the e-mailaddress and a picture from this message because it was over the limit allowed for upload.
E-mailaddresses refering to a commercial enterprise are not allowed in the forum.​

Paul,

Looks like Digicare cut and paste parts of the letter from Hasselblad (never a good thing to do).

Yes, leave this thread then, let people see. I know from speaking with two dealers that Hasselblad has involved the dealer network (smart move!) to do testing on Phocus. I cannot stress how much of a good idea this is.

I am sure Phocus will be a great product. Perfection does not happen over night. Be well.

Kind regards,
Derek

Back