Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Phocus 1.0 now available

I have installed FC 4.8.6 yesterday and PHOCUS 1.0 this morning .
It only runs a little bit faster on my current MAC G5 . I am using a 20" and a 23" screen on my system and in the readme section the GC geforce 8800 GT is strongly recommeded for that configuration .
My new MAC PRO 3 has arrived and will have that GC .
I am curious about the PHOCUS performance on that system .

I am currently using Phocus on my shiny new iMac 24" with NVIDIA grafics. It runs pretty smooth so far with my CVF files..... The last thing i have to do is to add the full possible memory tomorrow (4 GB). :)

Hello Andy

I haven't heard of you since ages .
The new iMAC is a phantastic machine , but I decided to go for a MAC PRO , because I want more than one HD in the same housing , which the iMAC can't have . Your GC is the nVIDIA geforce 8800GS ? ? ? This GC has 3/4 of the power of the 8800GT and it is good to know , that PHOCUS 1.0 runs fine with that card . I will get my new MAC PRO3 on Thuesday next week .
BTW , I still have you on my calendar list . You are not forgotten ! ! !

Regards Jürgen

Hi Jürgen,

i have been busy with everything else. Yes, i have taken the option to custom build my iMac with a larger Disk (750 GB) and the NVIDIA 8800GS card - it seemed to be a good investment into the future since not only Phocus uses the GPU but Aperture and maybe the new PS also.....
I am standing by for the calender project. :)

Greetings Andy

For those wondering about Windows, Hasselblad has confirmed that a Windows version of Phocus should be available within 2 to 3 months (3rd Quarter, 2008).

Steve Hendrix

I have now installed my new MAC PRO3 with the nVIDIA geforce 8800GT GC .
PHOCUS runs absolutely fine now with a 20" and a 23" screen .:z04_photos:
HASSELBLAD Germany will run a 3 hours workshop for PHOCUS in six big cities in Germany . The workshop is for free but you must register . I will attend that workshop on 1st of July .

Jürgen

Steve

Very interesting to read that test . Thanks for the link .
As PHOCUS now runs very fine on my new MAC PRO3 , I do not think about getting that "better" GC . I do never play any video games and therefore my existing system will do me fine . Who knows , for how long ? ? ? .

That brings us to the "fatal" point . Once you started using computers for your (photographic) work , you are damned to keep on going with the technical development in hard and software . I am shure , the future wil bring us more and more programs , which need more graphic power and storage space .

You only have two choices then . Either you keep track with the development , or you quit . You shurely will be frustated , whichever way you choose .

Jürgen

Steve

Very interesting to read that test . Thanks for the link .
As PHOCUS now runs very fine on my new MAC PRO3 , I do not think about getting that "better" GC . I do never play any video games and therefore my existing system will do me fine . Who knows , for how long ? ? ? .

That brings us to the "fatal" point . Once you started using computers for your (photographic) work , you are damned to keep on going with the technical development in hard and software . I am shure , the future wil bring us more and more programs , which need more graphic power and storage space .

You only have two choices then . Either you keep track with the development , or you quit . You shurely will be frustated , whichever way you choose .

Jürgen

The Digital Age is the disposable age. A digital camera body is "junk" in five years. It's "kind'a" sad.

For owners of older Mac Pros, Phocus runs very well with the ATI 2600 GC upgrade. $170 US.

Steve

I have been to the HASSELBLAD PHOCUS welcome tour 2008 this evening .
All function were very well explained . It was a great learning evening . There are more functions to come till the end of the year with PHOCUS 1.1
PHOCUS for MICROSOFT based computers will be available at the PHOTOKINA in September .

Also I have heard very strong rumors , that HASSELBLAD might present a WA camera with tilt and shift functions , similar to ARCA-SWISS and the new SINAR . SINARs camera shall be available shortly after the PHOTOKINA show .

And the 64 million dollar question is...

When will the 64 second exposure bump for the H3DII39 be available?

Kind regards,
Derek

The Digital Age is the disposable age. A digital camera body is "junk" in five years. It's "kind'a" sad.

Steve

I could not agree more although the economic life span for an H series camera may proof to be longer.
Yesterday I sold one of my trusted 503CW cameras to a newcomer at MF and to film.

A talented guy who is eager to get to know the Hasselblad V system with its wonderfull Carl Zeiss lenses.
I have tried everything to persuade him to go for the H camera as he intends
to use the MF at a later stage with a digital back.
It proved useless. The fame of the system that was responsible for the well deserved Hasselblad reputation was decisive.

Paul

Steve

Jürgen

May I add a third less frustrating choice:
The use of a legendary classic Hasselblad like the 1600F or 1000F.

Feel connected with a direct line to the days when Victor Hasselblad was about to give the world a great camera that certainly changed the era of photography.

The 1600F is not the best Hasselblad ever made but many surviving cameras are still in use with great results.

Paul

Back