Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

IMAGE SIZE USING V96C or CFV DIGITAL BACK

jotloob

We had a related thread to this topic , but as i hate very long threads , i will open a new one .
This topic is specially addressed to Q.G and SERGIO , but of course all experience is very welcome .

Now , here is the topic .

Using a V96C or the new CFV digital back , what is the maximum image size you can obtain , not using extra interpolation and a print resolution of
300dpi or 360dpi ? ?

My understanding is as follows (but might be wrong) :
The V96C sensor is 36,9x36,9 mm (36,7x36,7 for CFV) and has 4080 x 4080 pixels (2780 ppi)
Now , calculating the one side of the square ,
2780 devided by 360 gives a factor of 7,72 .
As the side of the square sensor is 3,67 cm , this would result in a maximum printable size (without extra interpolation) of 3,67 x 7,72 . This makes 28,34 cm . Or 34 cm when using 300 dpi for printing .
Has anyone experience in printing images form V96C digibacks and possibly bigger sizes ? ? ?

Jürgen,

Neither the size of the sensor, nor the sensor's pixel density is important. Only the desired dpi and the number of pixels.

So there's a quicker, less roundabout way of arriving at the same numbers: if you aim to print using 300 dpi, the size of the print can be 4080 / 300 = 13.6 inch = 34.6 cm
wink.gif

Provided the digital image is good, printing from a file at 300 dpi produces good results too. Even at 180 dpi the result will be fine.

Interpolation can help 'beef up' a file to meet demands for higher pixel counts.
A 2x upsize (linear) is quite possible, still without producing any obvious sign of tinkering.

> You also have to consider "viewing distance"...a 18-24-36 in print > is not meant to be viewed at "arm's length" like an 8x10. You need > 200-300 dpi for an 8x10 "up close and personal", but can get by > with fewer dpi if the image is hung high on the wall, a stairwell,

> a billboard, etc.

I'm using a V96C with 503CW, 203FE+CFE-Lenses, 903 and H1 (with H1 Adaptor) and printing with a Canon i9950 printer (A3+ = 329mm wide). I am very happy with the results at 300dpi. If you crop the picture to the full A3+ format(329x483mm) and print with 220dpi the result is still good imho. File size is 47.63MB

Q.G. , Robert and Paul

Thank you very much for your contributions . Sounds all good and satisfactory to me and i am pleased with the resulting sizes .
Q.G. , so , my formular was not wrong , but as i see , far too complicated .
wink.gif

So , why doing it the easy way , when you have a chance to do it more complicated . ? ?
happy.gif

I have further questions , related to using filters with a DIGIBACK

a) COLOR IMAGES .
Can you use all filters , as you did for film ? ? for ex&le skylight (haze) and polfilters ? ? are there any restrictions ? ? or special precautions ? ?

b) BLACK/WHITE .
Who has experience with B/W digital images ? Can you simply use yellow , orange and red filters as you did , when using B/W film ? How is the contrast of the images ? does black turn out as real black or just as a very very dark grey ?
Can you control exposure/contrast in a similar way than using ZONE SYSTEM . (expanding or lowering contrasts , when needed)

Jürgen,
your questions made me remind the hasselblad digital training workshop in Hamburg I attended several weeks ago. I think they still offer it in different places in germany. For me it was a good introduction into the digital workflow and worth the 190euros.
They used the H-system with 22mp digibacks, Epson printers and photoshop. It lasts 1day and gives you answers to all your questions above.
Btw the picture I shot there and printed afterwards was 590x780mm. Crisp sharp, marvellous.

Back