Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hasselblad Lens Repairs / Servicing - Sydney

cnphoto

Just received a 50mm F/4 Distagon C T* and a 150mm F/4 Sonnar C T*

I received both from the one gentleman for far less than the going rate for a 150mm F/4 CF lens, so got a bit of a bargain. Both had been recently serviced and I received the reports for both lenses, both being in great condition (though cosmetically the lens barrels show obvious signs of use for lenses of this vintage).

The 50mm Shutter Speed test showed that the shutter speeds are slightly up and down across the board though still within acceptable tolerance. I think I may put this in for a service / repair later in the year though as I imagine it will get the most use as a wide walk-around lens.

Can anyone recommend a good, certified repair / service person in the Sydney CBD? Also, what should my service schedule be for these old lenses considering they will received fair to moderate use?

I may also be putting my 80mm Planar in for repair as it does not stay cocked when it is removed from the body, though the two C lenses perform fine in this respect (ruling out a body issue).

Thanks in advance!

I have no information about a repair shop in your area.
Please contact Simon PG for a tip on a good camera service in Australia.
My experience is it is well worth shipping gear to a qualified service than experiment with unknown repair shops in the area.

Depending on the use they are sumitted to, C lenses like a tune up every 3-5 years.
That concerns lenses for amateur use.
Pros that shoot 100 or more frames a day often with one lens are advised to have their lenses and other equipment serviced once a year.

It is advisable not to wait till the helicoid becomes stiff because of dried lubricant.
The same goes for shutters and aperture.
Irregular shutters at slow speeds and reluctant apertures show that a service was due some time ago.
Test the aperture by selecting a stopped down value and use the DOF lever.
The aperture should close instantly.
Sluggish operation shows the need for a CLA of the lens.

Depending on the use they are sumitted to, C lenses like a tune up every 3-5 years.
That concerns lenses for amateur use.
Pros that shoot 100 or more frames a day often with one lens are advised to have their lenses and other equipment serviced once a year.

It is advisable not to wait till the helicoid becomes stiff because of dried lubricant.

Paul, perhaps you know the answer to my question. I bought a '66 500C once a very long time ago, but due to my money situation at the time, the only one I could afford had a little chip in the chrome, and the 80/2.8C which came with it has a 1-2mm mark on the rear lens element. I have thought about exchanging it for a 500C/M, but I am kinda attached to it. Do you know if it is possible to exchange that rear element, and if so, what it might cost? I don't suppose there is any way to fix the chrome on the body.

cnphoto,
I live in Melbourne and can point you to the likely very best repairers in Australia.

Camera Clinic in Collingwood has been in business for many decades. The owner, Laurrie, began his working life working on Linhofs and Hasselblads when he did his apprenticeship under the importers. He is also very passionate about the great film cameras.

I regularly get my Hasselblad V series serviced there - all minor stuff but they can handle complex work - the senior technicians fight over who gets to work on a "real" camera or lens.

Laurrie personally looks after my Linhof 4x5 kit and simply does beautiful work and goes beyond the obvious and says for him it is a pleasure.

His is a large business now and they are official repairers for Canon and Nikon among others - he has interstate deliveries into his "depot" every morning. They guarantee their work; never argue with customers and just have a great attitude.

So, of course any work on early gear depends upon parts availability, but his company will have good dealings with CR Kennedy which is the Hasselblad importer.

I suggest you call their toll free number during the week (even the receptionist knows what we are talking about and are wonderfully helpful) and discuss if they are the right people to sort out your problem.

Here is a link to their site: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w.c.rogers/
The toll free number and contact details are:
- enquiries call 1300 72 10 70
- 7:30am~6:00pm Monday to Friday
56 Easey Street, Collingwood, Vic, 3066

PS: Do you remember of ever hearing of the "Easey Steet murders?" - late 1970s I think.

Good luck!

email info@camera-clinic.com

Hello Carsten,

A little chip of the chrome is often better accepted when looked at it as as patina.
I just got myself into trouble by changing the shell with crome problems for a good looking shell from a damaged 500C.
It turned out the shell was damaged also making it a job for my repair man to finish.

Nice glass for C lenses is getting more and more difficult to find .
CZ has stopped supply about 7 years ago if I remember well.
The hunt is on for used glass from damaged lenses.
Today I found a front and a rear element for a 80 mm C lens, both T*.
I have some new glass for older lenses in stock as spares for my lenses.
Just in case.

Look at evilbay for damaged lenses and you may end up with the rear element you are looking for.
It will not become easier with time. Lenses from the fifties and sixties are still selling like hotcakes.

Paul

Gr,

cnphoto,
I live in Melbourne and can point you to the likely very best repairers in Australia...

Thanks Simon, much appreciated.

I'm afraid that the Easey St murders are well before my time :) i'm sure a quick google when I have a free moment will bring up any interesting info!

Hello Carsten,

I do not remember the exact year of your lens.
Keep in mind the first series of 80 mm Planars only had six elements.
Parts from or for those lenses can not be mixed with glass from the later seven element designs.

Paul

Hello Carsten,

I do not remember the exact year of your lens.
Keep in mind the first series of 80 mm Planars omly had six elements.
Parts from or for those lenses can not be mixed with glass from the later seven element designs.

Paul

IIRC mine is from '57. I will take a photo of the front for you when I get home.

Judging from the lensnumber of your lens it was made in 1963.
It is of the later seven element Planar design.

Judging from the lensnumber of your lens it was made in 1963.
It is of the later seven element Planar design.

There goes my memory again :) Apart from the number of elements, what are the differences in these lenses and their rendering?

It is accepted that the later seven element design is an improvement over the earlier six element lens.

The early lenses are collectors pieces.
They are in any of these lens prefix numbers:
159 year of manufacture 1956. CZ was a little bit ahead of Hasselblad body production.
The next groups are the ones 257 and 258 prefix.
The 259 prefix is reserved for preproduction or prototype lenses.

The first 500 C bodies were made in summer of 1957.
I have one of those, number 661 from the start of the production.

Back