Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

H3D

Hi Franc,

> I never said the dynanic range could be improved, I said the accuracy > can be improved and the 74db range can be cut into smaller pieces.

Cutting the 74dB "into smaller pieces" IS increasing the dynamic range. The definition of dynamic range is, in basic terms, the resolution of the device. It can not resolve better than 74dB, 74dB defines the resolution...as in...12 bits. Dynamic range is the total overall range divided by the noise. You can not resolve into the noise, that is the limit. If you read and understand the post I made that contains the dynamic range calculations, this will be apparent. But, dynamic range is not an easily understood concept, which is one of the roots of it being so misunderstood and the misinformation surrounding it (especially with respect to density range).

> I think it would be impossible to advertise 16 bit color and not truely > have it.

Of course it is possible. Scanner manufacturers have been doing it for quite some time. And, their reasoning is that they use a 16 bit A/D and their datapath is 16, even though the sensor used can only resolve to 12. This is commonly known in the scanner industry that the true performance of scanners is misrepresented. There is a discussion about this on scantips.com.

It's also a matter of what one means by 16 bits. They do return the data in a 16 bit word, and they may very well have a 16 bit datapath in the back. But it is misleading to claim the device actually provides 16 bits of *good* data. It's weasel wording, unfortunately.

> I beleive it is there, everything I see tells my logical > brain there is an improvment.

I don't dispute that you are seeing some improvement in what you are looking at, but this improvement is not because the data is 16 bits from the a Hasselblad 39M back (or any other camera or back). You physically can not distinguish between two adjacent colors with 16 bit color data, period. It's a well documented fact that this is far beyond the visual acuity of the human eye.

> Deny it if you like but the proof is in > the pudding.

I don't know what pudding you are referring to, but the fact is, the Hasselblad back can not provide more than 12 bits of usable data. And, even if it did, you could not see it. I would like to know what you are considering the pudding that shows this proof. The pudding I see is the sensor specification.

If you read the article I provided the URL for, there was an experiment where a number of prints derived from 16 bit and 8 bit data were laid out for people to judge. Conclusions was that people could not see any difference.

> I know what I was taught and I know what I beleive to be > true and that is 16 bit color is here and you cannot change that fact,

16 bit color is "here" (and always was, with regard to colorspace and processing), but just not all the bits good from consumer digital cameras or backs, or apparently to output devices either. As was pointed out in the discussion with Jurgen I believe, his instructor stated the monitor was 16 bits. It simply was not. The specs from the manufacturer proved this. Clearly a misunderstanding.

As I've said, there is unfortunately a LOT of misinformation out there (and a lot of people who claim authority that they simply do not have). This is a complicated subject, that takes a lot more than a few digital imaging classes to really understand the base level dynamics (I'm not referring to you or anyone specifically BTW). A lot of EEs even don't understand it, unless it happens to be in their realm of design experience. Now, I'm not saying that people in general have to understand this, on the contrary, but technical points like this are often simply not understood, except by people who are intimately involved in designs that use the technology...and there is simply no need for people in general to understand this stuff...unless they want to.

Film scanners are a whole other kettle of eels ;-)

Regards,

Austin

Hi Marc,

Given enough (digital) processing power you can correct a lot of things. And processing power we have available in almost any conceivable amount these days. Still, the better the original image/signal/whatever the less you have to correct. If you start with a lot of noise in the analogue part of the capturing process you will need a lot more correction in the digital domain. It serves a good purpose to try to build the very best (analog) electronics and not put (all) your cards on digital post-processing.

I guess it is the age old question "what is good enough?".

Just for fun I put a 40+ year old Pentax lens on a brand new Pentax K10D DSLR. I would be hard pressed to distinguish images from that lens from the latest lens that came with the camera. Of course you can come up with specific use cases that show differences. What does that prove?

Well, that a lot of these questions can only be answered by the photographer and/or end user of the images produced. They will define "good enough".

Duh...

Lets go and burn some film (or electrons should one prefer that ;-)

Wilko

Hi Wilko,

> Being curious here, given the PRNU correction table: do image sensors > exhibit 'drift' to any extent over time, due to aging or otherwise?

I have done not done any long term studies on these devices, nor do I know of any...but this is a good question. I'm sure they do to some degree, and I do know that photosites can degrade and fail over time. That I have personally experienced.

> I know that chip manufacturing processes can yield rather different > characteristics in chips coming from the production line.

This is absolutely still true, and especially so for imaging sensors.

Regards,

Austin

Thanks Franc for that information on film's digital equivalent. It must be close to those numbers when I think of Marc's superb scans of my positives - something like a 440MB file each 6x6!

Jurgen, you will get there! A digital darkroom thread is a great idea
happy.gif

And, Franc I am with you all the way - no digital back matches a quality 4x5 positive - such claims are IMHO fanciful like the claims that Canon's EOS 1DsMkII equals 6x6 positives. These statements are ramblings by techno enthusiasts and when said often enough become so-called "facts"!

But it strikes me that all this debate about 16 bit and how visible or not the difference may be is getting much like the 200 lp/mm versus 400 lp/mm lens resolution debate - who cares we can't see the difference anyway. Unless of course someone has a 16 bit imaging chain and says he can see a difference or there is some other benefit. Sausages don't interest me but the sizzle certainly does.
happy.gif

As far as claims of a 400 lp/mm lens resolution (by Zeiss) goes, I do know for a fact that none of us will ever get to see that difference!
happy.gif
Cheers!

" ...no digital back matches a quality 4x5 positive"

Simon, I would have to qualify that to some degree. As you know I am a proponent of film, and have urged those who don't have to go digital to stick with film for it's unmatched characteristics (IMO).

However, for many practical applications, the 39 meg digital backs provide a direct line to the digital path that's now required for literally every commercial reproduction media. This direct path eliminates steps that can dimminish quality, or introduce variables out of the control of the photographer.

So few commercial scans are being done that the film scanning services are going the way of the Dodo bird. In my metro area, where there is a sizable advertising and design community and photographic industry supporting it, there were a half a dozen repro scanning companies ... there are now none ( which is why I sprung for an Imacon 949 ).

I agree 4"x 5" trannies are great. Good prints from a neg too.

Did any of you who comment do a direct comparison between high grade
digital and 4"x 5" ?
I did. So did a number of other collegues.
We came to the same conclusion.

What I read here are well meant opinions but not facts based on actual tests.

Paul, I can't tell what your opinion is from your post.

What conculsion did you and a number of collegues come to?

And what factual criteria was used?

How was the test performed?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Marc,

I bought my first Sinar 25 Mp back some years ago and was anxious to find out what I could expect.
I like to get first hand experience with new equipment so I did some tests.
It turned out a number of older CZ lenses were clearly showing they had reached their limits.
So I bought the 40 mm IF to see what happened.
This opened a new horizon and proved to me the possibilties of this digital back.
The 40mm IF and the 120 CFE are best suited for high grade digital backs.
Resolution, colour and virtually no chromatic aberration were astonishing with these lenses.
I compared the results with film 6x6 and found the prints from digital were better.
So I compared 4 x 5 inch prints with digital prints and those were about equal in quality.

I found other users of this back did the same sort of testing and all ended up with the same conclusion.
We did these tests independant from each other and happened to meet on a forum for Sinar users. So from Scandinavia to Capetown we all were pleasantly surprised with the results.

Thanks Paul. Wasn't sure what your outcome was.

What kind of prints were you comparing?

Were both sets of shots done with the 40 IF and 120 CFE in the same light at the same time?

What film type and ISO verses what digital profile and ISO?

I have shot with the Sinar back, and more so with the Leaf Aptus 75 ... Dalsa makes the sensors for both, so it's similar. I used Zeiss glass on a Mamiya 645 when shooting the Aptus.

I do not shoot 4X5 film anymore, but have scanned a friends 4X5 work on my Imacon 949.
Pretty amazing looking images.

Right now, the 6X6 film stuff I'm pulling off the 949 has more depth than the 39 meg digital work, but I haven't shot side-by-side with everything equal yet ... so it's just conjecture on my part.

Prints were 30"x30" of both media.

I did not compare 40 IF and 120 CFE but compared those with 4x5 shots with similar length.
These shots were made at the same time with the same lighting conditions of course.

For colour testing I used portra film 160 ISO and set the Sinar back to the same ISO.
For B/W I used Technical Pan and adjusted the Sinar back to 50 ISO as it does not go to lower sensitivity.
I used TIFF files for the Sinar back and used 16 shot mode.

I know what you mean with depth in film shots.
It is one of the things that probably will allways differ between film and digital.

I still use film not only to save wide angle shots just because I like it.

Paul

Your point well taken Marc - important one at that about the image chain.

Your later comments about image depth are specifically how I / my eyes "subjectively" judge image reproduction quality. It is that depth that seems so lacking to my eyes even form some superb technically produced digital images - especially in landscape photography.

Simon,

The way we see and hear things is quite remarkable and not allways explained in a logical or scientific way.

Both digital imaging and digital audio suffer from lack of depth.
In audio the digital era started more than a decade earlier than with photography.
For high end audio and certain professional applications analogue is still used often with astonishing results.

Paul

Yes Paul. I agree with your analogy - I retained some outstanding analogue HiFi equipment for exactly that reason.

Human senses have an extraordinary ability to pick up "nuances" (for want of a better word) not included in digital processing.

Two more sleeps!!

I have traded the old H1D22 for a brand spanking H3D39 and it should arrive in New Zealand by FedEx from Atlanta USA in a couple of days.

I have also bought the 28mm lens and a couple of Sandisk 8mb IV cards so I hope to use it on a couple of big jobs right away.

I'm 56yo shortly but the feeling of Santa coming in 2 days is still amazing!!

Bruce

>[This is great. I am anxious to see what you think of this system. >I have a H2 with leaf aptus 65. I am happy with the image quality >but I am waiting for Hasselblad to bring out some Tilt shift options >and I hope they are still viable on the H2 system.]

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had problems with the flash sync pulse.
I have a H3D 39 and I'm trying to record the GPS time at the shutter opening. The TTL voltage is 3.3 volts , but when the shutter opens the voltage drops to about 1 volt but doesn't rise again for the next event/position.
Thanks,
Max

Back