Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Great Falls, Rock Island, Tennessee

Hi guys -
Went out this past weekend to Rock Island State Park in our fair state of Tennessee. Here's the first image I processed.
Specs - 501CM, CFV back @ ISO 50, PME51 prism, 60/3.5 Distagon CF with Hassy 93 polarizer, Gitzo tripod w/Kirk ballhead.
Exposure was 1/4 sec @ f16. Surprisingly, I was able to capture the entire dynamic range in one exposure, so HDR wasn't necessary.

Attachments

• 1031A.jpg
    EXIF
    1031A.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 1031A.jpg
    EXIF
    1031A.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for reply.
I supose you use pola filter to reach the speed of 1/4 s (?)
1/16 for difraction is not so good with CFV resolution ?
I have 2 pol filters (B60 and "93") but nothing to catch them together on the lens. The goal is to use 2 sec. speed or more in the sunlight and remove people in the city.

Thanks for reply.
I supose you use pola filter to reach the speed of 1/4 s (?)
1/16 for difraction is not so good with CFV resolution ?
I have 2 pol filters (B60 and "93") but nothing to catch them together on the lens. The goal is to use 2 sec. speed or more in the sunlight and remove people in the city.

Yes, I used the pola more to slow down the shutter speed than for glare.

For water falls, I aim for a shutter speed between 1/4 sec down to 1 sec when possible. Anything faster and the water tends to get choppy. Anything slower tends to remove all detail in the water. I would have preferred to shoot at f8 or f11, but I rarely get to open up that much. I did try a shot with 1/8 sec @ f11, but did not like the water motion as well.
As far as diffraction is concerned, with proper digital sharpening, it is not a problem - nothing like it was when shooting film. I use a 3 pass sharpening technique, incorporating a mild global sharpening in the RAW processor, an Edge masking technique for more aggressive sharpening in PS, and a High Pass and/or High Radius sharpening for printing.
BTW - a good fart will also work well for removing people in the city!
Michael

Back