Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Fungus Can Grow on CFV Sensor Filter

peterbkk

I live in Bangkok. Very humid, tropical environment. Normally, all my photography equipment and my archive of negatives and positives are kept in 3 large dehumidifying cabinets, with the humidity controlled electronically to 40%.

Last year, I did not do much photography with my Hasselblad, mainly doing underwater video work and editing. For some reason which I can not remember, I left the 205FCC, lenses and CFV digital back in their bag in the corner of our main bedroom. I think I figured that it would be OK there as the aircon is running every night for 8 to 10 hours. I assumed that would drop the level of humidity low enough, often enough so that fungus could not get a hold. And, for the lenses and mirror surfaces, this assumption seems to have been OK.

But, after the one year of the camera sitting idle, I took the 'blad on a trip. All the images had small dark circles (about 40 of them), each one always in the same place on the image. I could see small darkish circles on the green surface of the CFV's sensor filter. No, it was not dust. Neither the blower nor the ez-cleaning wipes could remove them.

So, the CFV had to take a trip to Sweden. (in any case I needed to send it there to fix the clock battery issue).

Hasselblad were pretty fair on the price, 580 USD, including transportation. They replaced the filter over the sensor.

Now, I take beautiful clean photos again.

The lesson learned: if you live anywhere humid, keep the camera in a dehumidifier whenever it is not in use.

Regards
Peter

The lesson learned: if you live anywhere humid, keep the camera in a dehumidifier whenever it is not in use.
Regards
Peter

Thanks Peter
for that valuable hint . I have a hygrometer in the place where I store the CFV and the humidity is generaly between 42% and 55% .
This is also normal living environment .
When I store my gear in my safe , I use additional SILICA GEL packages , although the environment in that room is also rather dry (45%) .
From time to time , I put the SILICA GEL packages into the kitchen oven for about 30 mins. at 80C .

Jürgen

Back