Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

First Hasselblad

just_rob

Hey Everyone.

Im interested in purchasing my first Hasselblad. The cheapest ones that I have come across on the internet are from www.keh.com in the second hand sales section.

The ones that I believe are resonably priced for me that I have been eyeing are listed as:

500CM BLACK LATE WITH WAISTLEVEL, RAPID WINDING CRANK, 80 F2.8 C T*BLACK (B50), A12 BACK, MEDIUM FORMAT SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA OUTFIT ... for US $519

and...

500CM BLACK LATE WITH WAISTLEVEL, RAPID WINDING CRANK, 80 F2.8 C T*BLACK (B50), A12 BACK WITH 12 RELEASE, MEDIUM FORMAT SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA OUTFIT also for US $519

The grade of both these cameras on the site has been listed as 'Bargain'.

I was just wondering a few things about this buying oppurtunity.

1) How reliable is the Bargain grade from keh.com?... do you think that this lowish price is resulting from from possible scratches on the glass of the lens or even fungus or haze in the lens or anything like that?

2) I noticed that everything in both descriptions are the same apart from in the second, the description of the A12 back. I was just wondering what the 'with 12 release' in the second description is talking about?

3) Just wondering the (B50) that is listed after the lens in each description means?

4) Finally, would you recommend buying either of these two cameras as your first Hassy from this site?

http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=HH&cid=01&sid=newused&crid=12760201

Feel free to look at the page and suggest any others you might think would be a good pick-up for a first.

Thanks so much for helping out.
Look forward to the replies.

Rob,

I bought my first Hasselblad from KEH in January of 2003. It was a bargain kit of a 500C/M, A12 back, WLF, and chrome 80mm C lens. The glass was in excellent condition, and everything worked very well, except that the waist level finder was quite beat up. They have a very good return policy, so if anything is not how they describe it, then you always have the option to return within the time frame.

I have never had an issue with the glass on any of the bargain lenses I have bought from KEH. But from where ever you buy the camera, you do want to test all the shutter speed, including B. I had to return a bargain 150mm Sonnar C T* because it wouldn't stay open at B, and that was my main reason for getting the lens.

There are different versions of the A12 back, most of the changes can be gauged by cosmetic differences in the back. The 12 release means that the release button on the back has a '12' instead of the "flying V" logo engraving. The B50 for the lens is the filter size used by the lens, that is which bayonet mounting size it uses. Also the C means old model C type lens with the Syncro-Compur lenses. T* means that the lens is multi-coated (non-T* are single anti-reflection coated).

Taras

My son has purchased from them and always had good experiences. I also know someone else who has delt with KEH and had good experiences.

James A. Bryant

KEH is a great company. I bought some hassie stuff from them and their bargain stuff is better than most people's good-rated stuff. I suggest buying from them and you can always save up for a clean and lube from a hassie tech just to make sure everything keeps running smooth... I've used them for years and years.

Ditto what Jason said about KEH. I have bought numberous Hasselblad and LF items from KEH from over here in Australia.

As a general rule when buying Hasselblad gear I have found that when buying used gear it is good advice to buy the later version in the best condition that you can afford (subject of course to the relative attributes of that later gear). For ex&le, by way of illustration, a KEH bargain 501CM might be a better choice than a like new 500C for a bunch of performance attribute reasons.

Back