Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

FireWire question re DELL laptops


New Member
I am about to buy a new laptop and I just need to confirm one thing.......

The Vostros range of DELL laptops come with 4-pin IEEE 1394 port.

The H3D2 has/requires FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b).

Are these one and the same?


hi, there are two flavors of FireWire aka IEEE 1394 or iLink.

- standard FireWire 400 at 400 Mps is called IEEE 1394a (about the same speed as USB 2.0, but better sustained transfers with less impact on the processor than is the case with USB);
- high-speed FireWire 800 at 800 Mps is called IEEE 1394b

The Hasselblad H3D series use FireWire 800.

The connectors for FireWire 400 and 800 are not identical. There are also two connectors for FireWire 400 (6 pin is standard and mostly used on Macs, while 4 pin often comes on Windoze machines - the difference being that the 6 pin variant also allows charging the peripheral - adaptors are available to go from 4 pin to 6 pin).

The Dell laptop you are referring to most likely has FireWire 400 and the 4 pin variant. A solution could be to look for a PC Card or ExpressCard with FireWire 800 if you want to go for maximum speed.