Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Digital back for a Hasselblad 500 CM

Hasselman

Good afternoon,

I just bought a Hasselblad 500 CM in pristine condition and I am very happy with the camera but I would like to know if there is a digital back for it. Not the new and super expensive new one that Hasselblad has, I am talking about cheaper options.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Not talking about the very old HB backs.
From Hasselblad , there will be the CFV16 , the CFV39 , CFV50 (classic) the CFV50c , first version .
I have worked with all of them and still do with CFV39 CFV50 (classic) and the new CDFV II 50 c .
One big advantage of the HB backs is that they can be used on most HB cameras , excluding the 1600 , 1000F and the classic SWCs .
(there might be some other exceptions , but extremely few)
The other advantage is , that you do not need a sync cable on any of the possible HB combinations .
I can't say anyting about prices , but I recommend to look for a trusted dealer .
I can not say anything for other backs and makes . Sorry .

Good afternoon,

I just bought a Hasselblad 500 CM in pristine condition and I am very happy with the camera but I would like to know if there is a digital back for it. Not the new and super expensive new one that Hasselblad has, I am talking about cheaper options.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
There are a number of options from Phase One, I've got a P25+ there are a few others. It works pretty well, though the back is triggered through the flash sync cable which occasionally falls out. I paid about $1,200 for mine, but B&H told me they had many that they can't sell, so perhaps call and ask them.

Phase one P-45. Full width of the frame, landscape or portrait. Uses a sync cable but I worked with mine for ten years not an issue I would flag if I’d not read it on here. Great bit of kit. Capture One software also highly recommended.

I have and use a Leaf 75 Aptus. 33mp, uses a CF card, and is simple to operate. Takes excellent pics with both my 500cm and 503cx. Great color. does use a sync cord but it wraps beneath the camera so it out of the way. Can be powered by attached battery, attached to computer, or powered by a Quantum 2x2 external battery. Overall I give this back a 9 out of 10 for my landscape and fine art work.

I am very much looking forward for the HASSELBLAD CFV 100 c (at a reasonable price) which you can use on HB V-SYSTEM cameras
and ALPA , ARCA and many field cameras as well .

Merry X-MAS and a happy new year to all of the MEMBERS in this forum and to DIRK as well .

I bought a used Leaf Aptus-II 10 a few years ago ( about $3000) -
It is a 56x36mm 56mp CCD - Great color.
Bigger sensor than the Hasselblad.
50-800 ISO - best at ISO 50 and 100.
12 stop dynamic range, 16 bit color depth. 1 fps.

Other models -
Aptus-II 12 - 80mp 54x44mm (the largest)
Aptus-II 8(?) - 54x44mm, 60mp
Aptus-II 7 - 48 x 36mm 33mp
Aptus-II 6 - 44 x 33mm 28mp
(for reference 6x6 film image is about 56x56mm)
The Aptus-II 12 cost $39,995 new in 2009

No live view, but you can review shots on the LCD, and zoom in to check focus.
Needs a sync cable attached to the lens to trigger capture.
Uses a camcorder (remember those) style battery which are still made by Kastar and are very affordable.
They had Leaf Capture software so you could use it tethered to a computer via firewire cable (PC, MAC).
The one I have has dual mounting slots, so can be mounted on the camera body in either portrait or landscape.
The battery mounts on the bottom of the back, so in landscape it does stick below the bottom of the camera body.
They did make models where you could rotate the sensor inside, so you did not have to rotate the back.

You can also use it on other cameras with a V-mount adapter. You just need a shutter with a pc sync port.

Back