Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

D 40 Fill flash newbie question

doronski

Hi,

Could someone please point me in the right direction about metering for the D40 as a fill flash?

Thanks in advance.

You meter the same way yoo do when not using flash, set the camera accordingly, set the ISO on the camera to a higher value than that of your film (how much higher depends on the ratio you want), and fire away.
The added flash will usually not show except in the darker bits, i.e. will not cause overexposure of the rest.

First you have to have a Hasselblad camera that supports TTL to effectively use the D-40 flash ... because the flash itself doesn't have any manual or auto capability, or controls.

For ex&le, the 503CW is a TTL Flash camera and sports an ISO dial on the left side that's exclusively for setting the ISO for the TTL flash meter in the camera.

So you meter the ambient light as you would normally, and then adjust the ISO dial on the camera to effectively make the TTL flash meter think you are using a faster film than you really are. 400 speed film and you want 1 stop less flash from the D40 so it acts as fill rather than a main light source? Set the ISO dial to 800. ... and so on.

Hello,
wanting to go back to basics, with my 503 CW and D40 flash, I am looking for a way to view the instruction manual of the D40.
Any Idea where I could download a pdf file of the D40 hasselblad flash?

I would love to ask many questions about it but would prefer to study first and ask specific questions to improve my setting of apperture and exposure when using flash indoors for portraits

thanks for the help
smile.gif

Hi negiar

Hasselblad UK would send you a photocopy of the manaual if you ask them. It took a bit of time though. Really it is not particularly helpful.
Users of this site could tell you much more.
The diffusers for the Quantum Q flash do fit the D40 and this produces lovely soft light. It is particularly useful at close range.

Any way, firstly there is a bit of info in the 503cw instruction manual (if you have this!!)

Brieflt The D40 manual that comes with the flash is 6 pages;
Inset; diagram of parts
Page 2; dcescription of contents
Page 3; How to put in the batteries, connecting the TTL lead and flash sync
Page 4; Basically setting the film speed is via the 503CW body. Use a reflector to avoid hash shadows, it has positions for normal and wide. To turn it on use the switch!!(ingenuous)
Page 5; Test exposure; you can put te 503CW backing plate on instead of a magazine to test for adequate exposure. The red led in the 503 display flashes if there is enough light.(And the same occurs in use.) If you do not get a flasing led you have under exposure. There is no warning against over exposure so using the gun up close you need to close the lens down a bit.Using a diffusor on front of the reflector helps a lot.
Bare bulb; use this for ery wide illumination, will be less bright.
Using the flash without a TTL you just get full power.
Power supply battery or rechargeable
Page 6; After 15 full power flashes at ingtervals less than 10 seconds you should let the unit cool off. (Rarely a problem at my rate of shooting with medium format!!). Dont geth the unit wet. Use only Hassy cables.

In the back of the manual is a table of ISO corrections to make for different film emulsions. I use mainly FujiNPH ASA 400 and there is no correction needed. A number of the films mentioned have been changed since writing the manual and to be honest the adjustments are fairly minor.

That really is about it.

Use the force Negiar
Enjoy

Richard Marks

HI, Richards, Well that is indeed quite an answer. I surely appreciated the details. I hardly ever use Fuji films, here in France, except for the instant films. Kodak being more popular and somewhat easier to find, Portra 800 for color and 400 Tmax for B&W. I will follow your advice about getting a diffuser, Thanks again.

Best regards from Paris,

Xavier P. Negiar

Hi
Negiar
You are welcome
There is a danger of over exposure using Portra 800 and remember the D40 will give you no warning of this.

Another point is that the flash meters from about 80% of the film plain. It is not spot metering and as a result, the background colour will have some effect on the overall flash exposure. This means if you are using it as the sole light source it will have quite a marked effect.(light background = under exposure, dark backround = over exposure). It is much less of a problem if used as fill flash (say 2 stops under the measured ambient light exposure). This is what the unit is really excellent for. (have a look at my pic in the posting on this site "Thank you Marc Williams" on D40.

Regards

Richard

Back