Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

CFV Sensor Cleaning

peterbkk

There are a couple of threads in the forum about cleaning sensors but the topic was not fully covered and the threads were written a couple of years ago. So, with the wisdom of several years of using the CFV, I thought we could discuss this again and share experiences and ideas.

What is your sensor cleaning approach, timing and method?

Personally, when I first got the CFV, I went for 18 months without doing any sensor cleaning. I assumed (wrongly) that because the CFV was always attached to the body, with the shutter curtain covering its face, nothing could get to the sensor. Then I got hit with a "fungus spot" problem. (http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3640)

When I received my CFV back from Hasselblad (new sensor filter and a clock battery that works) two months ago, I have monitored the CFV sensor face carefully. So far, after several excursions, the sensor is still spotless. No blobs showing up on images. Nothing visible on the senor when scanned with a magnifying glass.

To double-check, I took a 3-stops over-exposed, out-of-focus grey sky shot and went over every part in Photoshop. Could not find a spot of dust.

In my case, the CFV lives permanently on the 205FCC, which stays in its camera bag, in a closed, clean dehumidifying cabinet. After each trip, I take the CFV off the body, give it a few careful puffs with a blower-brush and put it straight back on to the camera and then into the dry storage. (The earlier fungus problem happened because I stopped using the dry cabinet to store the camera.)

I have bought a sensor cleaning kit from Copper Hill Images (SensorSweep brush, SensorSwipe / PecPad spatula and Eclipse cleaning fluid). So far, I have not had cause to use them.

I am wondering if there is anything else that I should be doing.

What are all you people doing about sensor cleaning?

Regards
Peter

What are all you people doing about sensor cleaning?

Regards
Peter

I clean in three steps,

1. For first step, I use a air-brush to blow off dust from the sensor filter. The compressor of the air-brush has air filter, moisture filter and oil filter installed. There is also an adjustable air pressure regulator to control the air stream in order not to blow too hardly. (similar device for cleaning film before scanning);

2. If it dosen't work, then I use "Brush-off" manufactured by Photographic Solutions Inc to gently wipe the surface sensor. "Brush-off" has conductive bristle that will take off electrostatic charge from the surface of the sensor and then use step one to blow off the dust again. Very often, it is the static charge built up on the sensor surface while operating the camera that hold the dust particles.

3. If doesn't work again, then I will use "e-Wipe" from Photographic Solutions Inc to gently wipe the sensor filter. As alternative, I also use PEC*PAD and Eclipse 2 to clean the sensor filter.

If finally cannot work, I will send the CFV back to Shiriro, the parent company of Hasselblad, for cleaning; fortunately I have not need to use this step yet.

By the way, can you share with us what is the cost of replacing the sensor filter? Thanks

Regards

Patrick

I clean in three steps,

By the way, can you share with us what is the cost of replacing the sensor filter? Thanks

Regards

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your input.

How often do you need to do steps 1, 2 or 3.

The cost of replacing the sensor filter was 4,500 HKD, including the round-trip from Shriro Hong Kong to Sweden.

Regards
Peter

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your input.

How often do you need to do steps 1, 2 or 3.

The cost of replacing the sensor filter was 4,500 HKD, including the round-trip from Shriro Hong Kong to Sweden.

Regards
Peter

Peter,

Nice to hear that somebody in the forum also base in my hometown.

I do step 1 for a gentle blow every time before I went out for shooting; always attaching CFV to the body has no guarantee for dust free because every time you change lenses, dust particles are sucked in to the chamber and eventually adhere to the CFV by the static charge built up at the sensor screen. If I can remember, I switched off CFV before changing lens and hopefully the static charge can go.

Then, step 2 and 3 were on demand. As I also use CFV on field cameras, which are more vulnerable to dust because of bellow movements, then I need step 2 quite often.

Regards

Patrick

Back