Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Carl Zeiss Clens

Funny that you are asking what you have just bought. According to the serial number it is a Carl Zeiss C Tele-Tessar 8,0/500 mm from about 1968. Apart from the black leatherette covering the barrel is silver. It has Zeiss T-coating (single-coating) not T*-multicoating. This is not very important with a telephoto lens with so few elements.

Ulrik

Robby,

The lens you purchased has one of the lowest reputations for the Carl Zeiss Hasselblad lenses. I believe that this is partly unjustified. Due to this lens's long focal length, it requires special handling to get the best performance. This lens for one begs to sit on a substantial tripod, possibly with a soft weight over the pivot point (like a bean bag) to d&en vibrations. One of the issues reported is color fringing on high contrast edges at high magnification. I do not have any direct experience with this lens, but have used its successor, the Apotessar.

In an attempt to help users of this lens Hasselblad even developed and sold a rifle-like stock for use with this lens.

Enjoy the lens. As Ulrick said, it is a C-type lens. The shutter and aperture rings are normally interlocked, and one of the rings has a tab that you pull/push towards the camera body to disengage the interlock.

You will want to check all the shutter speeds of a lens this old to make sure that they are all OK. The best way is to remove the film back and pointing the lens to a window or l& and looking through the back to insure the shutter opens at all speeds.

Taras

>If you like to know from which periode the lens is, than put your numer in >the box : Zeiss lenses.

This link is wonderful, I want to thank Quinten to put it on the site.

Bye Marc

Marc,

Thank you.
Credit where credit is due: the all important data were provided by another 'HasHisser', Richard Nordin.

>But Q.G. de Bakker did the critical tasks of working out the >software for this little utility and doing the web page set up. >Where credit is primarily due!

Please allow me to offer kudos to Q.G. and Richard for this invaluable service and resource. What a wonderful Holiday gift : -)

Unbelievably rich in information and utility for the Hasselblad V photographer, both new and well experienced. I've bookmarked it for future needs.

Dirk should make the site they have created a "sticky" so it's available here at all times.

While I'm at it, I think we should lobby Dirk to focus the MF portion of this site more on Hasselblad... AND increase the image posting size to better reflect what this system is capable of in terms of making images. Maybe something like 1000 pixels on the longest side, and at least 700KB to 1 meg max size (more resolution if at all possible)

Now, while I have this "V brain trust" available, I'd like to ask for some advice.

As many here know, I am an avid Hasselblad V photographer using both 503CW and 203FE cameras, primarily with film, but also with the CFV digital back ( V system management at Hasselblad has asked and received permission to use my CFV posts and images here as a reference link on the Hassy site. I agreed in order to promote a continuation of the V system in any way I could, and even was so bold as to plead for a larger sized square sensored CFV : -) Hasselblad NEEDS to know there are a lot of us V lovers out here clamoring for anything we can get our hands on.

Now my question to you esteemed Hasselblad V "keepers of the flame":

I am thinking of expanding my V system to include a 205 camera. I assume it should be a 205FCC to use my CFE and FE lenses on. Is that a correct assumption? Also, is it advisable to secure some TCC magazines over the E magazines I already have? Finally, where the heck does one find one of these cameras?

Any sage advice and/or user experiences would be greatly appreciated in an effort to further expand this Kit (partially shown below) that has served me so well all these years ... and continues to do so ...

26448.jpg

Marc,
regarding the use of your CFE- and FE-lenses it does not make a difference whether you buy a 205 TCC or the newer 205 FCC. The FCC is somewhat updated, e.g. it offers the same fill-in-flash functionality like the 203FE.

You are a user of the CFV back. To use this one with FE-lenses on 203- and 205-cameras these cameras have to be modifieded. As I understand it the modified cameras do not communicate anymore with the film backs. Buying TCC and E-series backs might therefore not make sense.

You can find 205 cameras on ebay off course. A few days ago one mint 205 FCC body was sold for about 2600 Euros (ouch).

Ulrik

Thanks Ulrik,

I will be dedicating one of the 203FE bodies to the CFV, and will have it modified after my last wedding is done (Dec.30th). So, the 205 would be be strictly used with film.

Can you elaborate on the 205FCC? Is it a TTL flash camera that would work with a D40 flash? This is my standard set up for wedding work.

Also, how do the TCC magazines differ from the E type?

Marc,

The only real differences between the 205 and 203 cameras are in the metering characteristics, the 203's meter metering center weighed, the 205 doing spot.
And the 205 has an additional zone metering mode, in which it displays how the metered points are distributed on a contrast/zone scale.

This works in conjunction with the extra dial on TCC-magazines, which lets you set the Zone System's n-value: a measure for how much contrast will be changed during processing, such that a value of -1 lowers contrast (i.e. compresses the contrast/dynamic range) by one stop, +1 increases contrast by one stop.
Overexposure (changing the ISO value) and shortened development lowers contrast, underexposure and prolonged development boosts contrast. By how much development times must be shortened or lengthened is something you have to find out for each B&W film you like to use, and fine tune yourself.
The 205, in Zone mode, will read the TCC-magazine's n-dial and bias both ISO and contrast values, so that the measured points are displayed correctly on the contrast scale.
Once a particular n-setting is used, the entire film is committed to that n-value. So you will need about three magazines to cover everything (one for normal (n=0) shooting, one for a particular low or high contrast situation you might encounter and need to adjust to, and one in reserve, in case you happen upon a scene needing the opposite (or more of the same) of what is already set on your other backs).

In short, if you do not use the Zone System, you do not need TCC-magazines - but if you do, get three.

Nor, some would say, would you then need a 205.
On the other hand, it's nice to have the option, even though you'll never need, or even use it. That's the definition of luxury, isn't it?
Besides, your kit doesn't fit in your bag already, so why not?
wink.gif

The way it was explained to me is that the updated body uses the electrical contacts formerly communicating with film backs to communicating with the digibacks. 20/20 hindsight would have included a couple of spare contacts, would hardly have broken the bank. Ah, water under the bridge..

Wilko

Thank you all.

Q.G., you just saved me some money since I really don't have time to calculate Zone system stuff, nor swap out magazines very often when shooting a wedding. I get great exposures with the 203FE based on experience and the camera's meter.

BTW, most of my gear does fit in one bag ... one for the 500 system and one for the 200 system : -)

I still have other equipment, but it's not often used for weddings ... like the 350/5.6 CF and that bellows pictured, nor the PC Mutar, etc.

Marc:

I don't think a person with your experience, equipment, and ability would gain anything from a photographic point of view by purchasing a 205FCC. As far as the zone system goes you are already nailing the exposures. My experience with the center weighted meter on my 203FE is that it tends to be very centered. Although I have a handheld spot meter I seldom use it with that camera.

In addition to your bellows, you might consider adding the E extension tubes to use with FE and CFE lenses. They are as easy to use as a converter.

I hope Hasselblad rewards you well!

I thank you for considering other V owners in your communication with Hasselblad.

Best Regards:

Gilbert

BTW- Notice how active this forum has been on Christmas? Perhaps Hasselblad should know that too.

It indeed looks like Christmas dinner (or was it the wine?) has stirred up the forum a great deal..
happy.gif

Wilko

Thanks Gilbert. Have the E extension tubes, as well as some of the regular ones ... I use the regular 8mm one on the Zeiss 350 mm to tighten the closest focusing distance. Use the 1.4XE and 2XE converters also to max out a smaller kit when traveling.

Sometime when I stumble across a 135 macro for the bellows I'd like to try that.

I have a wedding this Saturday, and am taking the 503CW with film backs and the CFV. Love the stuff from that camera.

Extention tubes are an invaluable asset for shooting details at a wedding ... like this:

26455.jpg

Marc:

Thanks, nice shot. I am just amazed every time I see a photograph like yours. It's like being a kid again, mesmerized by something new, or a remarkable feat.

Also, aside from all the technical aspects and features built into a Hasselblad I am continually impressed, even when shooting at slow speeds handheld and mirror unlocked, how well the photographs look. When I listen to that mirror move, I consider other slr cameras, rangefinders, point and shoot included how quiet they are, the Hasselblad results still peaks that wonder.

Best Regards:

Gilbert

Simon:

Thank you.

To me it is an art form that the very implements used in during the creation of a photograph, also motivate me.

Regards:

Gilbert

Back