Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

C12 Back Question

Socks

Hi there,

I am new to all things hasselblad. I recently became the owner of a 500cm outfit. I downloaded the manual off the hasselblad website, but it lacks information about the old c12 back.

There does not seem to be too much information that I have been able to find on the specifics of the c12 back, so I am hoping there are some kind experienced users here that are willing to help me out with 3 questions (at least on this topic... I am sure I will have plenty more on other topics):

I apologize if my questions show my newness to most anything camera/photography, my in-depth exploration of photography was begun about a year ago.

1. Is there a manual or something official that I can download for the c12 back? Anything with information would be great.

2. What do the little symbols on the back mean? (i.e. [I assume it is a] sun with a plus sign in it, sun with a minus sign in it, light bulb with a plus sign in it, light bulb with a minus sign in it)

3. The numbers around the center dial on the back of the film back mean what? (Not the ASA numbers, but rather the numbers by the letters DIN, i.e. 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, & 33)

Thanks!

3. The numbers around the center dial on the back of the film back mean what? (Not the ASA numbers, but rather the numbers by the letters DIN, i.e. 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, & 33)

Someone else will have to answer the other two questions, but just like ASA stands for American Standards Association, so DIN stands for Deutsche Industrie Norm, meaning roughly the same thing. In Germany they chose a logarithmic scale for film sensitivity, and given Germany's influence on film production in those days, the numbers became common everywhere (mostly to use German films, since the ASA numbers were more popular). ISO means International Standards Organization, and the ISO numbers supercede both, but are the same as the old ASA numbers.

Hi there,

I am new to all things hasselblad. I recently became the owner of a 500cm outfit. I downloaded the manual off the hasselblad website, but it lacks information about the old c12 back.

There does not seem to be too much information that I have been able to find on the specifics of the c12 back, so I am hoping there are some kind experienced users here that are willing to help me out with 3 questions (at least on this topic... I am sure I will have plenty more on other topics):

I apologize if my questions show my newness to most anything camera/photography, my in-depth exploration of photography was begun about a year ago.

1. Is there a manual or something official that I can download for the c12 back? Anything with information would be great.

2. What do the little symbols on the back mean? (i.e. [I assume it is a] sun with a plus sign in it, sun with a minus sign in it, light bulb with a plus sign in it, light bulb with a minus sign in it)

Thanks!

For the manuals Google for hasselbladhistorical.eu, and follow the Hardware link.

The DIN numbers are just another way of indicating film speed. There were days where the US used ASA, and Europe DIN. DIN stands for Deutsche Industrie Norm by the way.

hth
Wilko

Memory help

The lid on the rear of the back with all its symbols and figures is nothing but a support for your memory so you can see what kind of film with what asa or din number is loaded.
It has no influence on the functioning of the back.

Film loading goes as follows.

Take out the insert.
Put the film at the spot where there is no teethed knob to transport the film.

Guide the film as with the A12 type backs but do not move the film to see the arrows.
Put the insert back. Open the little door and while gently moving the film with the RH knob watch for the number one to appear.
Close the door and turn the film transport knob anti clockwise.
The counter jumps to no 1.
The back is ready to be used.

Paul

Back