Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

B&W digital / filters

mfe3

Greetings
With film, filters are a must.
Can someone explain whether using a red filter when shooting digital is more/less beneficial than applying the same effects in PS or LR ?
Cheers
Maynard

I don't think you need to use filters with a digital camera. On my Nikon D700 if I change the setting to black and white there are subsettings for simulated filters for orange, yellow, green, blue and red. I checked each setting and the respective photos came out "right" as though they had the right filter on the camera. For example, green leaves looked lighter when a green "filter" was used and the sky looked darker and red items looked light colored when a "red" filter was used.

Even though I have the color filters I don't feel the need to bother with the Nikon.

Greetings
With film, filters are a must.
Can someone explain whether using a red filter when shooting digital is more/less beneficial than applying the same effects in PS or LR ?
Cheers
Maynard

I would agree that there is no benefit in using colored filters and possibly some disadvantage. The exception is polarization. Even with color sliders in photoshop etc there are limits to the degree of change available without creating image degradation.

Good luck

Back