Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Advice requested on first medium format Hasselblad purchase.

Nig451964

Hello there,

I have always previously used full frame DSLR's mostly Canon 1ds however, I would like to make the jump to medium format because I like the idea of what I believe it can give me by way of a slower, less computerised yet still digital process coupled with good detail and dynamic range.

I am not on a huge budget, < £4000 to include body, viewfinder, lens and back. So I know I am going to be purchasing used from a reputable dealer.

I have seen a Hasselblad H4D-50 for £2749 which comes with nearly everything I need bar the glass.
As such that would leave me with ca. £1251 left for a used prime ideally, does anyone have any better suggestions please either on body or glass.

I won't be using it for studio work, I am just a hobbyist so the usual family pictures, days out and a burgeoning interest in macro photography.

I very much appreciate your help, it's a big purchase for me so I thought it makes sense to ask advice.

Kind regards.

Nigel

I had a H4D-60 - nice camera and system (currently have a H6D-100) - it is a little cumbersome work flow compared to current DSLR and mirrorless cameras, but the quality of the pictures are there. The prices for used Hasselblad X1D cameras should be coming down soon because of the introduction of their new X2D camera. The sensor size is about the same size as the H4D-50, but is a much more modern sensor (and live-view, of course).

Have a look what KAMERASTORE.COM has to offer, they are in Finland and have a huge stock...
They engaged them in saving as much as possible used (analogue-) camera's, which they do, and have some nice digital Hasselblad's too...

PS: I am not related in any way to them but have always been wel served.

Hi Dirk,

I suppose it would be cost over anything else ? I mean I have seen a h4d 50ms and a 80mm f.2.8 for just under £3k with a year's warranty.

Camera Lens

I am purely funding this from savings so I have a strict £ 4k limit.

I am guessing the X-System uses live view, I have historically always preferred a mirrored viewfinder. Of course, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I have looked around but my knowledge of good retailers is limited. Mainly MPB or my local Misfuds

I suppose it would be cost over anything else

If you search in your area for private sellers, you will probably find an Hasselblad CFV50II 907X, or X1D or X1D MKII in that price range with a cheap lens. As long as you do not have time pressure, this is now the best time to watch the second hand market closely over the next weeks/months.

In Germany you can see already the first offers.

All old X1D/X1D MkII users, who ordered the new X2D, will sell the old body as soon as the X2d is delivered. And many will sell it with a basic lens to make it more attractive for a potential buyer.

Back