Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

80 Planar CB question

cristif

Hello everybody,
I stumbled these days upon a 500 C/M with the Planar 80 CB at a really friendly price and in amazingly good condition.
Now, when more carefully checking the camera i noticed one major problem: when i cock the shutter the lens aperture blades close instead of remaining wide open (the lens stays in a stopped-down position). Could it be that, somehow, the DOF preview button got blocked? The problem is that I never had a lens like like this and i have no clue where the DOF preview button might be.
I have no idea why this occurs. I tried the lens on 2 different bodies and the result is the same. Am i doing something wrong? The lens has absolutely no sign of damage.

Thank you for your help,

Cristian

Hello everybody,
I stumbled these days upon a 500 C/M with the Planar 80 CB at a really friendly price and in amazingly good condition.
Now, when more carefully checking the camera i noticed one major problem: when i cock the shutter the lens aperture blades close instead of remaining wide open (the lens stays in a stopped-down position). Could it be that, somehow, the DOF preview button got blocked? The problem is that I never had a lens like like this and i have no clue where the DOF preview button might be.
I have no idea why this occurs. I tried the lens on 2 different bodies and the result is the same. Am i doing something wrong? The lens has absolutely no sign of damage.

Thank you for your help,

Cristian

C'mon... the DOF button on a CB80 is not that difficult to find ;-)

Just below the flash sync connector is where it lives. Just press it at the opposite end relative to the flash sync contact and it will disengage (if it was engaged of course).

Wilko

Yes:) I thought so. But since I had no confirmation, I thought of asking. Well, it seems that I have my answer: that button is blocked, it moves only slightly down but with no effect whatsoever on the aperture. Wonder if servicing it is a difficult task :D

Depth of field control CF/CFE/CFi/CB lenses

Unlike earlier "C" lenses the CF/CFE/CFi/CB lenses have a different control for depth of field.

The little button shown here can be shifted to the left to close the aperture to the preset number.

The aperture stays at the chosen number unless you release the DOF control by pushing the left hand side towards the lens body.
The control then moves to the right and offers an open aperture to view through the lens with maximum brightness.

100 sd1.jpg 100SD2.jpg

Attachments

• 100 sd1.jpg
    EXIF
    100 sd1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 100SD2.jpg
    EXIF
    100SD2.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 12
Yes:) I thought so. But since I had no confirmation, I thought of asking. Well, it seems that I have my answer: that button is blocked, it moves only slightly down but with no effect whatsoever on the aperture. Wonder if servicing it is a difficult task :D

There is a tiny spring involved to pull it to its "resting" position. Maybe that one is loose? Unfortunately this implies taking the lens apart to access it. Not something for an amateur.

Wilko

While I took the images Wilko beat me to it.

With that kind of friends you do not need enemies........ :z04_smileys26:

Unlike earlier "C" lenses the CF/CFE/CFi/CB lenses have a different control for depth of field.

The little button shown here can be shifted to the left to close the aperture to the preset number.

The aperture stays at the chosen number unless you release the DOF control by pushing the left hand side towards the lens body.
The control then moves to the right and offers an open aperture to view through the lens with maximum brightness.

View attachment 892 View attachment 893

For the record: these pictures are CF, not a CB. The principle remains the same though.

Thanks a lot guys :) As always, the first step in solving a problem is to identify it. Which I just did. Now I wonder how to deal with it.

ps. No way I would try to fix it myself, I am a totally non-technic person.

CB?

Wilko,

The only CB lens in my possesion is the 120 CB.
That lens is in my glass cabinet about 80 feet from where I am writing my posts.
The CF was right here in my study for me to pick up.
Why go all the way to fetch the CB lens when I have a similar lens here for the taking.

All unnecessary use of my legs results in wear that can de avoided.......

Paul

Back