Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

70/500 Back

terrydent

I'm so tickled to come upon one of these, especially for the price I paid. I know Paul has one. It took a little figuring out but I got it mounted and it seems to work. Not really good for anything but sure is pretty to look at!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    EXIF
    Untitled-1.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    EXIF
    Untitled-1.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 14
Hello Terry,

Welcome to the club!

These backs are great to take with you on holidays. It means yiou do not have to stop every time again to load a new film.

What number is yours UH....?
I happen to have number 6 from the start of production.

Paul

Hello Terry,

You have number 36. Also an early one.
I have some B/W film left for this back.
Of course it can also be used for the 70 film back but it is too much for the 70 spools/containers.
Let me know if you want it. As far as I know perforated 70 mm film is no longer available.

All 500 backs were Swiss made.
They 500 cost the equivalent of three camera sets in the seventies!
I wonder where the other 196 backs are. The whereabouts of two others are known to me
There is at least one in black. No idea if this is an original one or a made up one.
The first 500 CM bodies in black appeared in 1972 as well.

Paul

The internal motor doesn't seem to run. I don't have a real Hasselblad battery, just a 6V lithium in an adapter. When I test the lithium it reads full power. When in the 70/500 battery tray only 40-50% of the power is at the contacts on the end that goes in the back. Guess I'll get a real Hass. battery and see if that helps.

The internal motor needs a lot of power to shift the film.
That lithium ion battery does not seem to have the right capacity.

The 500 back can be used with motordrive cameras and with non motorised bodies.

Several years ago I watched one of these go up on Ebay, item was located in France. The seller wanted $3500US and put it up several times, and -finally- sold it. I found out later, someone I used to know, on one of the camera forums, told me they bought it, to use on a Kiev 88! But it did not have the Kodak 100' spools inside it, he wanted to buy several from me. I won't sell mine, sorry.

A year later I saw an Aerial photography in Michigan USA put one up on Ebay. After several tries, it did sell for $1500US. He said it was in perfect working order. I was tempted but not by the price. I wonder if the internal motor would run off of one of the 9V adapters, like I use in my two EL/Ms. Can you plug the back into the EL/M and run it off of the batteries in the camera?

I have over twenty rolls of 70mm color and B&W film in my freezer, so I would like to find one of these at a good price.

-Dan

The way the back comes it does not connect to the camera for power although I saw a picture of one that was cobbled up that way.

500 film back

500-70 1.jpg

Built in battery

500.70 2.jpg

Dual counters, nice touch!

500.70 3.jpg

Made in Switzerland UH 1006
Built in 1972 nimber 6 of 200 units.

Rare black 500/70 film back found recently.
Never seen a black one before.

Paul

Attachments

• 500.70 3.jpg
    EXIF
    500.70 3.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 500.70 2.jpg
    EXIF
    500.70 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 500-70 1.jpg
    EXIF
    500-70 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 8
I'm so tickled to come upon one of these, especially for the price I paid. I know Paul has one. It took a little figuring out but I got it mounted and it seems to work. Not really good for anything but sure is pretty to look at!

It sure scares the living daylights out of all those cell-phone photographers..

I remember Paul turning up with his at a camera fair. A smile wide enough to fill the street...

Wilko

Useful for candid street photography..no?

Depends on what you call candid.
With the right amount of camouflage everything is possible.

Bild 021.jpg

Yes Wilko, that was happy hunting in those days.
Building a collection with a good writing hand and a thick cheque book is not a problem.
Finding rare items for friendly prices is.
A bit of luck and a mood to travel is all you need.

Attachments

• Bild 021.jpg
    EXIF
    Bild 021.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 7
Back