Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

501 locked w obturator closed

alex

Dear Group.

I am new to the 501 and wanted to show it to a friend. I took a picture with no film in it and it locked itself with the obturator locked (standard 80mm). Any idea how can I get out of this situation since everything is locked. I cannot rewind.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

> I am new to the 501 and wanted to show it to a friend. I took a > picture with no film in it and it locked itself with the obturator > locked (standard 80mm). Any idea how can I get out of this situation > since everything is locked. I cannot rewind.

I've been around cameras, and specifically Hasselblads for over a quarter of a century, and I've never heard of any camera, much less a Hasselblad, having an "obturator". What the heck is an "obturator"?

Austin

First, try the shutterrelease button.
It could be that the camera is prereleased (side button below wind crank).

If that doesn't help, remove the magazine, and push in the lower of the two doors you see in the back (don't worry, you'll do no harm that way).
You'll see a slotted axle head below the lens. Insert a small screwdriver, through the back, into the slot, and turn it clockwise until it locks.

Sometimes, turning the thing a little bit will free the camera. If you hear a click and feel a sudden tension, remove the screwdriver before turning the axle until it locks, and you'll be able to use the wind crank to recock the thing again.
But mind you, if it doesn't you'll still feel tension (you're winding a spring by rotating the axle).

Now you should be able to remove the lens (the back is already off).
Do so, and 'excercise' the camera a few times (press the release, recock). If nothing out of the ordinary happens, reattach the lens and do it again.
If still nothing untowards happens, you'll be fine. No worries.

The magazine could also be on its last exposure. It won't wind any further if that is the case. Fix: open and close the magazine ;)

BTW: Still don't know what an obturator is.

Regards, Jeroen

>The magazine locks after 12 normal shots are taken. Try reloading the film ( without film !) and try again.

If the magazin is "full" the obturator will not even begin to close, let alone stick in the closed state.
So i'm afraid this "magazine trail" leads to nowhere.

Alex,

So we completely understand the situation: you managed to recock the shutter through the back, managed too to get the lens off, but the body is still released (mirror up; rear shutter open or closed?; you have tried all release buttons?), and won't budge?

Back