Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

500c/m cable release

TJV

Hello. I'm new to Hasselblad and would like to ask a simple question regarding a few things.

Firstly, I've been offered a mint minus 500c/m with A12 back, WLF and 80mm for $700US. It doesn't even have any marks on the tripod socket!
I'm wondering if this is a good price? I need to make a decision pretty quickly so hopefully some of you can reply and guide me on this and my following questions.

Secondly, I with understand the 500c/m I can change the viewing screen to an Accumatte bright screen. Is this true? What do they usually cost and where is the best place to order them from?

Lastly, I was trying to use a standard cable release the other night and it wouldn't trigger the shutter. I took the back off and fiddled around with the different positions T/O etc but that didn't make any difference. Does the 500c/m need a special cable release? The one I have is just a standard one that I've used on my large format gear, Mamiya and Leica.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Hello. I'm new to Hasselblad and would like to ask a simple question regarding a few things.

Firstly, I've been offered a mint minus 500c/m with A12 back, WLF and 80mm for $700US. It doesn't even have any marks on the tripod socket!
I'm wondering if this is a good price? I need to make a decision pretty quickly so hopefully some of you can reply and guide me on this and my following questions.

Secondly, I with understand the 500c/m I can change the viewing screen to an Accumatte bright screen. Is this true? What do they usually cost and where is the best place to order them from?

Lastly, I was trying to use a standard cable release the other night and it wouldn't trigger the shutter. I took the back off and fiddled around with the different positions T/O etc but that didn't make any difference. Does the 500c/m need a special cable release? The one I have is just a standard one that I've used on my large format gear, Mamiya and Leica.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Hello Tim,

Keep in mind that the tripod socket can be made to look like new with a spraycan of black satin-matte paint. I have no idea about pricing in US$ so if 700 is reasonable or not. What 80mm lens generation does it have? C80, CF80, maybe CB80?

The 500C/M can indeed have its focusing screen exchanged for an AM. AM prices differ with the actual version. AM is cheaper than AM-D (the very latest version) and more fancy screens, for example with split-image tend to be more expensive than the ones with only a X-hair.

A 500C/M can be used with a normal cable release, maybe your cable release does not have a sufficiently long pin to trigger the camera? Just guessing here. I have used multiple run-of-the-mill releases on my 500C/M and no problems with either of them.

Wilko

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to your questions, the lens is a CF. I live in New Zealand and in NZ$ it is $1200. The kit was part of a collectors estate so hasn't been used. Close inspection of the tripod plate doesn't reveal any signs of use or signs it has been painted. All speeds seem to fire correctly and the black lining on the back of the curtains don't have a mark on them. In fact, the entire kit is entirely spotless except for the WLF, which sticks a little bit and doesn't click into place when unfolded properly without a little bit of help - the little lugs that lock the three sides into place at the top don't quite align automatically. I think it just needs a bit of TLC or careful modification.

I've come to this system through Leica and Mamiya 7ii rangefinders as lately I feel I need a bit more feedback that a SLR type design gives. I suppose you could say I'm leaning towards a more considered type of photography, portraiture in particular.

As for the cable release, I'll investigate further. Maybe you are right. It may be a little too short.

In hindsight I should have titled this thread something different, like "500c/m help required." Oh well...

Thanks again.

Tim

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to your questions, the lens is a CF. I live in New Zealand and in NZ$ it is $1200. The kit was part of a collectors estate so hasn't been used. Close inspection of the tripod plate doesn't reveal any signs of use or signs it has been painted. All speeds seem to fire correctly and the black lining on the back of the curtains don't have a mark on them. In fact, the entire kit is entirely spotless except for the WLF, which sticks a little bit and doesn't click into place when unfolded properly without a little bit of help - the little lugs that lock the three sides into place at the top don't quite align automatically. I think it just needs a bit of TLC or careful modification.

I've come to this system through Leica and Mamiya 7ii rangefinders as lately I feel I need a bit more feedback that a SLR type design gives. I suppose you could say I'm leaning towards a more considered type of photography, portraiture in particular.

As for the cable release, I'll investigate further. Maybe you are right. It may be a little too short.

In hindsight I should have titled this thread something different, like "500c/m help required." Oh well...

Thanks again.

Tim

This sounds like a nice camera. If it has been sitting idle essentially since it was produce you might find that it needs some new grease etc. Hassys like to be exercised, and lubrication does deteriorate with age.

Wilko

Picture of the 500C/M maybe?

Maybe you can post a couple of pictures of that camera?

Wilko

Make sure the slow speeds on the lens are ok. If it's a CF it should be ok but it's worthwhile clicking through the speeds quarterly to make sure it's ticking over ok.

Make sure the slow speeds on the lens are ok. If it's a CF it should be ok but it's worthwhile clicking through the speeds quarterly to make sure it's ticking over ok.

For this reason , I aquired a 500EL/M (for a very decent price) some years ago . All my lenses , C , CF , CFE and CFi are checked for all speeds at least three times a year . Just to make shure that all speeds run properly .
So my 500EL/M is also a working horse .:)

Back