Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

50 mm Distagones

zdenek

Could you, please, explain me the difference between Distagons 50 mm designated CF T* FLE and CFi? Thanks.
Zdenek

50 mm Distagon history

The 50 mm Distagon for the V series started as a silver barrel lens with early coating in the fifties.
The next improvement was 6 layer multicoating applied to a small amount of these silver barreled lenses and all later black lenses.
The next upgrade was to see the same optics in the CF 50 lens.
That was an intermediate model available from 1982 till 1989.
In 1989 the 50 mm FLE lens appeared with a separate lensgroup that had to be set by the user.
Finally in 1998 the latest upgrade appeared a 50 mm FLE with a new barrel that carried B70 instead of B60 front lens mount.
The filtersize was increased because by using multiple filters vignetting could occur with the B 60 mount.

All 50 mm Distagons are exceptionaly good lenses.
The later ones are even better than those early lenses.
FLE versions are worth considering when buying a 50 mm Distagon especially now excellent FLE's can be found well under 1000 euro.

Could you, please, explain me the difference between Distagons 50 mm designated CF T* FLE and CFi? Thanks.
Zdenek

I believe this is correct -
The CFi is a later version of the CF, with "improved" internal baffling - that is, internal stray light is better controlled in the CFi, which yields more contrasty images. But these differences may be theoretical.

The "FLE" (floating lens element) allows you to manually move a group of elements after "regular" focusing, which should provide improved sharpness with close focusing with a wide angle like the 50mm.

Michael H. Cothran

I believe this is correct -

The "FLE" (floating lens element) allows you to manually move a group of elements after "regular" focusing, which should provide improved sharpness with close focusing with a wide angle like the 50mm.

Michael H. Cothran

Well, actually *before* regular focusing. Once you select another range with the FLE ring you subsequently need to refocus with the main focusing ring.

The FLE ring has multiple distance ranges, it is not supposed to be set inbetween the 'clicks'.

Wilko

Thank you for replies and explanation. So I think I won't make a mistake to buy used Distagon 4/50 CF FLE from 1990's.
Btw, are the CF type lenses still in production or they are replaced with ZV lenses?

The current line of lenses for the V series are all CFi models.
CFE lenses were recently phased out the last being available was the 80 mm Planar.
CFE and CFi lenses were introduced in 1997 as succesor of the CF series.
They have both the same optical and mechanical improvements compared with former CF series.
Optical improvement is the use of a better internal coating that improves contrast by a further
reduction of straylight inside the lens barrel.
Think of this improvement as in 2-3 % nothing dramatic.

Mechanical improvements are different shutter spring, modified PC connection, different helicoid.
Keep in mind basic designs from the fifties are so good improvements over the years are less than 5-10 %
with a possible exception for the 250 C and the early 40 mm and 50 mm Distagons.

The ZV series is a product line marketed by Carl Zeiss.
It contains three lenses: a 50 mm Distagon, a 120 mm Makro Planar and a 180 mm Sonnar.
The 50 mm Distagon is the same design as the 50 mm FLE without the option to move the front lens group.
That lens group is fixed in the infinity position.

The best and most economical option to look for extra lenses is to find used CF lenses in good condition.
Depending on the focal length these can be found between 400- 1100 euro.

Thank you for replies and explanation. So I think I won't make a mistake to buy used Distagon 4/50 CF FLE from 1990's.
Don't be so quick with that thought. There's NO "mistake" to be made from buying any CF lens, including the 50mm CF FLE you mention. Any internal improvements brought on with a CFi version will most likely go unnoticed by you or viewers of your images.
If you're inclined to own the latest, most expensive version of material things in your life, including V lenses, then do so, for that reason.
But don't think for a New York minute that you're getting any real noticeable improvement in image quality.
FWIW - I have a friend who owns a 50/4 C lens from the 1970's. I use it on occasion, and see NO difference in image quality from any of my newer CF lenses. In fact, without notes in front of me, I can't always recall which was taken with his old 50, or my CF wide angles.
Michael H. Cothran

I agree with Michael with one exception.
The FLE generation Distagon lenses give a noticable improvement in image quality.
That goes not only for the close range settings of the floating elements but it goes for all distances.

Older lenses from the first generation especially when used with an effective shade still give amazingly good images.
That quality has been Hasselblads strongest competitor for many years.
Why buy new when older used lenses give very good results.

Paul

I agree. There is nothing wrong with buying a C lens at a reasonable price. They work quite well although they are old and more likely to need cleaning.

C lenses are like older cars with higher fuel consumtion:
You know for sure what they need to keep going as against the latest state of the art vehicles that may decide to quit service at the most inconvenient times.

Older CF series lenses are beginning to show signs of wear quite common with the use of plastics.
Suddenly breaking snap rings are not a disaster, just a nuisance.
Other plastic related problems may cause more trouble.

The old C lenses

While I do not own a 50 mm lens yet I truly love the old c lenses. I was in Rome in Feb and took a stunning shot of a fountain at night. The clarity, sharpness was wonderful. I like the fact that there no plastic parts. Because of this these lenses are as tough as a tank. Because they are a good price I would buy another one anytime. Just because it is older does not mean it is still a great lens. I get beautiful shots and it looks great as well. That is what a classic is all about. Now wonder Zeiss created the ZV. Long live retro.

Tom

Tom,

Where is that fountain?
I did not see it yet!

You are right for various reasons older C series lenses are still going strong.

They have the advantage of a lower price and still give amazing good images.
After a CLA job they will happily serve you another three to five years before the like a new CLA.

A perfect sample is the 120 S-Planar now offered at 300-450 USD.
A bloody shame these lenses do not fetch better prices although prospective buyers get a great lens for little money.

Paul

I will upload the photo again

Hi Paul,

I would be pleased to upload the photo again. I forgot how and where to do that. As you can see I am still new to all this. I do really love my camera.

Tom

Upload

Hello Tom,

It is quite easy:

1. Click reply.

2. You will see a window with a toolbar.

3. A little right off center click the paperclip.

4. A window opens and allows you to browse through your files.
It is easy to have the file on your desktop, select desktop and click the file.

5. Click upload and wait till the upload is finished.

6. Close the window.

7. Click the paperclip again and click on the file in the window.

The picture is now in the window of the reply only as a file number.
Ad text, Click preview post and check the post. Click Submit Reply. That is all.

Please note the max file size is 400 Kb or 1200X1200 pixels.

Good luck.

Paul

A perfect sample is the 120 S-Planar now offered at 300-450 USD.
I just got one from KEH..light scratch on the barrel, caps and a pristine original leather case for $400USD.

Steve

First Photos with my 501C

The first photo is the Piazza Narvona fountain in Rome. I used an 80mm, with Kodak Ektachrome E100vs film.

The second photo is of the main church in Assisi. I took it for an Franciscan who was celebrating her first visit to the shrine.

Any suggestions for improvement is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Attachments

• Rome Fountains (1 of 1).jpg
    EXIF
    Rome Fountains (1 of 1).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 19
  • Assisi (1 of 1).jpg
    EXIF
    Assisi (1 of 1).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Rome Fountains (1 of 1).jpg
    EXIF
    Rome Fountains (1 of 1).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 19
  • Assisi (1 of 1).jpg
    EXIF
    Assisi (1 of 1).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 18
Scanning

The pics look good but I have the idea scanning can be improved.

Both are not tack sharp altough I am sure you used a tripod.

Paul

Back