Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

2000 FCW prototype towards 205 TCC

ulrik

Hello friends,
I bought an interesting relict. On first view it looks like a Hasselblad 2000 FCW wreck. In fact it appears more to be a test camera because it contains data bus contacts at the front and at the rear. Note that there is a double row of databus contacts in the lens mount. Paul did already tell me that he once saw a F-lens with corresponding contacts. This is unfortunately not a fully working camera, many parts like the mirror and the shutter assembly have not been installed at all or removed for the tests (I do not know yet). It does not have a serial number.

Does anybody have an idea what the additional contacts might have been used for? Are there any other development cameras in the hands of forum members?

Ulrik

Attachments

• 2000FCW_a.jpg
    EXIF
    2000FCW_a.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 98
  • 2000FCW_b.jpg
    EXIF
    2000FCW_b.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 2000FCW_d.jpg
    EXIF
    2000FCW_d.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 2000FCW_a.jpg
    EXIF
    2000FCW_a.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 98
  • 2000FCW_b.jpg
    EXIF
    2000FCW_b.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 2000FCW_d.jpg
    EXIF
    2000FCW_d.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 2000FCW_c.jpg
    EXIF
    2000FCW_c.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 2000FCW_c.jpg
    EXIF
    2000FCW_c.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 80
This is a fantastic find! Now I know what an archeologist feels like when they find a rare relic. The rear contacts look like the ones on my 205tcc with maybe an extra contact top and bottom. The front outer contacts look like the lens mount ones with an extra row near the center. Where did you come upon this?

Hi Terry,

If you promise not to tell anyone I can lift the secret of this find.
Ulrik has the key to the back door of the research department in Oberkochen.
About twice a month he goes there to look for things that are about to be
thrown in the dustbin.
He was just in time to save this heavily modified anonymous 2000 FCW.
Anonymous because the camera does not carry a number.
I am pulling your leg of course.

Apparently somebody at CZ decides to clean out some stores and things like this prototype body are on their way out.
Take a look at your 350 lens and you will see it also is ready to accept extra contacts.
Not only your lens but also some 110 mm lenses exist with the same rear
bayonet plate that allows for extra contacts.
My guess is they were meant for an autofocus system that never went into production.
Carl Zeiss engineers had a working AF system for the 500 or 200 series cameras many years ago.
This system was shown to Hasselblad executives who decided the world was not ready for MF AF.

That decision lead to a less friendly relationship to put it mildly.
It also changed the course of history but that is a different matter.

Paul

Let see at the next dustbin to find a AF lens for this camera !
Or a lens with electrical central shutter.
Or electrical to inform the speed of the central shutter selection that allow to have full automatic ttl mesuring.

I can imagine that every month they can produce an interesting prototype.

Hi,
unfortunately my dustbin source until now only produced quite sorry looking relics of lenses and a 500C body that is missing so many parts that the only sensible option is to make a NASA 500C copy from it. Remember, these early space cameras were stripped from anything non-essential like mirror, auxiliary shutter, finder, screen, pre-release, leatherette,...

This is a good moment to ask again if anybody has photos of the different early 500C space cameras, preferably from all sides.

Ulrik

Let see at the next dustbin to find a AF lens for this camera !
Hold it!
Lenses are my department.
Ulrik is only interested in bodies, the lenses are my specialty.

I have done my utmost but sofar nothing that even looks like an AF lens has turned up.

I am quite happy with what I got.
The lens barrels one for a 120 CF and another for a 150 CF were most welcome.
The 150 CF is already complete with glass from a heavily used lens.
The same will happen to the 120 lens barrel.

That still leaves some spares that will find good use in years to come.

Paul

The rear contacts look like the ones on my 205tcc with maybe an extra contact top and bottom.
Perhaps the missing contacts to use CFV back without any modification and help keeping the asa information with classical back !

I guess that when this prototype was made nobody at Hasselblad had digital photography in mind. It should be from the late 1980ies.

Ulrik

Hasselblad recognised the possibilities of digital caption as one of the first MF manufacturers in the world.

The Leaf DB 4000 digital back was available for Hasselblad cameras as early as 1992.

Ulrik is correct that the 2000 FCW experimental body is a little older.
These early backs did not allow the use of focalplane shutters.
The CFV is the first digital back that allowed the use of 200 series cameras after modification.

..Hold it!
Lenses are my department.
Ulrik is only interested in bodies, the lenses are my specialty.
Paul

Well,
I would not say that I am only interested in bodies, not in lenses. That would make my Hasselblad obsession even more strange. In this case I would go so far to say that I would give the prototype body away to somebody who is interested in it if he in return will cover the expense for the latest addition to my 1950ies collection, a very nice condition Hasselblad SWA (including a lens!!!).

Ulrik

Ulrik,

That is a new approach that certainly gets my attention.
Your wife told me you only paid 218 euro for the SWA.
That seems a fair price for the prototype 2000 FCW body.

DEAL :z02_deal:

Paul

Paul,
you mention my wife and you already have my black 2000 FC as a hostage.:z04_zeter01:. If I give you my 2000 FCW prototype (practically for free) there will be nothing left here except a few scrappy 1950ies camera wrecks, a 500C body that has given away most of it's innards so that it is nothing more than a box camera and three hungry children.

Ulrik

:z02_mod_boese:

;-)

Ulrik,

I play a fair game and will release the 2000FC camera although I must admit
in this condition, fully serviced with a new shutter, it will not be easy to part with it.

The 1950 camera wrecks do not mean much to me except that scruffy black painted Leica M3.
I mean the one owner camera that never left the ERC after the first owner bought it.
Of course a nice satin chrome M3 is a better camera to use but I will make an exception for this black M3.
I think I am doing you a favor to relief you of this old camera. It does not even accept 120 roll film.

Hungry children are too much for me. When the 2000FCW prototype comes my way I will arrange for a new line of credit at the baker and the other suppliers for the rest of the year so that problem is taken care of too.

Your wife mentioned she has nothing to wear.
This sounds familiar for a guy who managed to end up with three ex wifes
that all depend on me for support.
Quite often "I have nothing to wear" is a warning of a viscious attack on my financial reserves.
Up till now I have survived those undamaged.

Putting up the :z02_mod_boese: sign is a smart gesture to prevent me from misusing my position. Thank you for reminding me of that.

I am sure you are happy this little matter is solved now.
It clears the air. Tomorrow there will be a new day with new challenges.

Paul

Back