Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

120 S-Planar

Summilux

Any observations on the image quality of the 120/5.6 S-Planar closeup and at infinity? I've been told that the 120/4 macro planar is really good, but is it much better than the S-Planar?

120/5.6 S-Planar versus 120/4.0 Makro Planar

It depends on what you have in mind which lens is to be preferred.
That may sound complicated it is not.

The S-Planar is a pure Macro design where the later and 1 stop faster Makro Planar is less macro.

Some of the excellent properties of the S-Planar were traded for a more general purpose character of the Makro Planar.
This means the Makro Planar can also be used with good results at larger object distances.

The S-Planar is at its best up till about 1-1,5 m object distance.
Under those circumstances the older design beats the later Makro Planar.

The other thing to consider is the current market situation for used lenses.
An S-Planar in decent condition starts at around 250 euro for silver versions.
Later black models with T* demand an extra 100 euro at least.

A good 120 CF will cost at least twice the price for the black version of the S Planar.

Do not underestimate these early silver lenses.
I use one frequently for digital capture.
A good lenshood works more effectively against flair than T* does.
The silver versions are very underrated at the current prices.

Those are good points. Price was actually one of the reasons I am thinking about the 120. i don't really need an "infinity" lens at the focal range, since I already have a 150. I actually quite like the silver C lenses from an aesthetic perspective and my 80 and 150 are both non-T*.

Paul,

Awhile back sevewral years ago , Kornelius Fleischer formerly of Zeiss Germany, said that the 120mm S was a lens that had special properties to it. I believe that was why it assigned the S designation. I remember seeing many fabulous images from the chrome 120mm 2- Planar. They were all razor sharp and contrasty. When a opportunity came along for a Black 120mm S-Planar T* lens, I snap it out. I find it lighter and smaller to carry around when compared to the 120mm CF.

Evan

S-Planar

Hello Evan,

No doubt the "S" stands for "Sonder" the German word often used for a special version of a product that also exists in less special form.
There are several other Planar designs like the 80 mm standard lens.

The S is well deserved. The S-Planar is a special lens with exceptional properties.
According to Rick Nordin only 14000 were produced the majority black ones.

Paul

Paul,

I personally prefer the T* coating for flare control. In my personal use and observation of images shot with the 120m S Planar, that it is sharper than the newer 120mm CF Planar. Beside its slightly lighter and smaller than the 120mm CF for traveling.

Hello Evan,

As I pointed out before good shading has more effect than T* what ever marketing departments from Zeiss or especially Hasselblad may want to say about the subject.

Keep in mind the S-Planar has only a modest front element.
In other words flair is not a major problem to start with.

The other advantage of the later coating is improved colour rendering.
That is a fact but again the difference is quite small.
This improvement is lost completely when you take into account the margin there is for professional colour prints.
These prints can differ so much that any gain in colour caption is lost at the print side.

I have both the silver non T* and the black T* model of the 120 S-Planar.
The silver version is the lens I use most of the time.

Paul

Are these what you are all refering to?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    EXIF
    004.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 004.jpg
    EXIF
    004.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 26
120 S-Planars

Hi Terry,

Yes these are the lenses we are talking about.
Your black lens is an early one being from 1975. It is one of the first black T* S-planars.
The silver S-Planar is from 1969.

Both appear to be in excellent condition!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Physically they are both very nice. They are however waiting their turn to go to the shutter doctor to restore some of the slow shutter speeds!

120/5.6 macro planar

This i my view the best lens HB ever made for male portraits, streetphotography and closeups.

A little slow, but rendition and mft speaks for it self.

120 / 4.0 is not comparable to the 5.6 :)

Damn, just sold the 5.6 :)

Paul,

Yes I agree with your comment regarding the use of the lenshood. It does improve the contrast and give the images that POP!
My preference leans toward to the T* and getting the newest possible lenses that I could afford to buy. It is definitely not as nice looking as Terry's (2) 120mm S-Planar, but for me, it was a perfect fit for traveling and I tend not to shot at dusk, so the 5.6 aperature is good enough.

Evan

Hello Evan,

As I pointed out before good shading has more effect than T* what ever marketing departments from Zeiss or especially Hasselblad may want to say about the subject.

Keep in mind the S-Planar has only a modest front element.
In other words flair is not a major problem to start with.

The other advantage of the later coating is improved colour rendering.
That is a fact but again the difference is quite small.
This improvement is lost completely when you take into account the margin there is for professional colour prints.
These prints can differ so much that any gain in colour caption is lost at the print side.

I have both the silver non T* and the black T* model of the 120 S-Planar.
The silver version is the lens I use most of the time.

Paul

It just happens

Hi Paul,

Physically they are both very nice. They are however waiting their turn to go to the shutter doctor to restore some of the slow shutter speeds!

That is something many C series lenses need from time to time.
It is possible to use synthetic lubricants that will not deteriorate and do not present this problem every 5-8 years.

I had my lenses treated with these lubricants many years ago.
They are still doing fine.

S-planar mtf curves

Paul

CARL ZEISS shows the technical data including the MTF curves for the CFi MAKRO PLANAR .
Do you have the data for the S-PLANAR ? ? ?

Jürgen

Summilux

I have a 1975 120 S-Planar and have used it since buying it new in 1975. It is extremely sharp out to 30 - 40 ft. However it's uninspiring at infinity -- just average looking. Maybe the 80mm or 100mm would be a better choice for infinity. Portraits with the 120 need softar or black net unless the subject is an old sea captain.

BC

Back