Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

X2D vs CFV100

mudlup

Both the X2D and the CFV 100 have 100MP sensors, but the CFV has a larger sensor. Does that produce any superiority in performance?

Thanks for clearing that up. I watched a you tube video and the CFC sensor looked a lot larger than the X2D sensor.

Hi there,
I have used a CFV 50 for a couple of years and there are some points I would like to mention about both CFV and X2D.
CFV is compatible with system V bodies, but... You need to use the electronic shutter and this means 1/3 of a second exposure time (rolling shutter)... It seems this restriction has improved with CFV 100.
An other shortcoming with the CFV 50 is that it does'nt offer multiple shots. Trying to catch a wave breaking on rocks take you back to the years when we mostly shooted Black and White. It seems that CFV 100 offers 3 pps possibility.
I have carefully watched the X2D and some aspects kept me from buying one. If you wear glasses as I do, the view finder won't allow you to a complete view of the picture frame. I do need to take my glasses off if I want to get a full view of what I am shooting. When the screen is tilted as to mimic the system V viewfinder, the view finder is quite prominent and impairs significantly the view to the screen. To benefit medium format quality and state of the contemporary art maybe one should consider an other maker.

You can adjust the Evf altering the diopter to match your eyes. I use it all the time, as I need reading glasses to see the rear monitor.
The CFV also lacks IBIS. It doesn’t matter to some, but I just mentioning it.

I didn’t choose between the 100C's. I bought one to supplement my X2D. It’s great now having the capability to use my 500C/M and its glass natively albeit with the reverse crop factor (from 35mm but smaller than 6X6 film). Later down the road, I hope to adapt it to my 4x5 camera and see how that goes, probably not too bad but again, limited by the small sensor size.

Looking back, I don’t regret my decision to complement the X2D but I welcome the addition. Currently, for fast-moving sports, wildlife, portraiture, and street photography I’ll rely on my Canon stuff, which in its own right stands its ground with its unmatched capabilities vs the Hasselblad’s. I find the strengths of the Hasselblads start with their unmatched image quality, with some of the best-looking files I’ve ever experienced.

In the end, it’s just another tool in the toolbox, a rather pricey one for sure.

I didn’t choose between the 100C's. I bought one to supplement my X2D. It’s great now having the capability to use my 500C/M and its glass natively albeit with the reverse crop factor (from 35mm but smaller than 6X6 film). Later down the road, I hope to adapt it to my 4x5 camera and see how that goes, probably not too bad but again, limited by the small sensor size.

Looking back, I don’t regret my decision to complement the X2D but I welcome the addition. Currently, for fast-moving sports, wildlife, portraiture, and street photography I’ll rely on my Canon stuff, which in its own right stands its ground with its unmatched capabilities vs the Hasselblad’s. I find the strengths of the Hasselblads start with their unmatched image quality, with some of the best-looking files I’ve ever experienced.

In the end, it’s just another tool in the toolbox, a rather pricey one for sure.

Attachments

• 2024-01-30-17-59-08-(B,R8,S4.jpg
    EXIF
    2024-01-30-17-59-08-(B,R8,S4.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 5
Back